How to Practice: help from chip kelly

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by thugpoet, Oct 3, 2013.

1. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

some of you may not know this but I am a die hard Philadelphia eagles fan. I am also a fairly avid madden player. (hit me up on pm if you want to get down xbox 360) with that said i went out my way to study the eagles new coach chip kelly. I wanted to know if the eagles had made the right choice. with that study I came across how chip, views practice. above you can see his quotes. his words had a serious effect on me.

I am known as a fairly preachy guy. I like people to know the inner workings, the why the when etc. however since become a big chip kelly groupie, I have changed my teaching approach and since I dont have any fighters of my own, ( get hired when people want a different set of eyes or when they want to focus more on their hands) my time with them is limited it only makes since for me to train this way. in the gym its not time to teach its time drill. the teaching comes from film study. drill hard, drill controlled, drill to finish.

some drills I use:

1. form punching: put a glove under one of your arms and a tennis ball under your chin and punch. switch arms ever round.
    2. shuffle around the ring: self explanatory
    3. tile drill: thanks dadi and sinister
    4. two steps to the left one step back: self explanatory - two rounds then switch directions
    5. partner drills: to various to explain here
    6. all drills are done with a tennis ball under the chin.
    concepts that I drill home:

• control: control yourself, control the ring, and control your opponent.
    • finish: finish the attack by bringing the attack back to starting position, in as little time as possible ( straight back)
    • technique>> speed: slow is fast,you have drill speed, then game speed. drill speed is controlled there is pace but not full power, game speed or fight speed is lights out.

good luck ,

Jonathan

ps my next mini article will be about how to study film. this is the single most underrated skill one needs to learn in order to take there learning to the next level.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. INeedARemedy

INeedARemedy GOAT

I was expecting "Run. Run until you think you are going to die. Then run some more"

3. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

nope I am all about smart practice habits

4. Mr Mojo Lane

Mr Mojo Lane Brown Belt

I do think that MMA coaches can learn from other sports. I have a friend that does MA

5. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

6. a guy

a guy Black Belt

Thanks for the read. It's especially applicable advice to someone like me who's really an over thinker. Sometimes I need to just shut up and drill, drill drill. Looking forward to the film study thread.

7. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

thank you, I am the same way. I over preach or rather I use to. you have lets say two hours in the gym. why spend that valuable time pondering the facts of life. gym time is for getting reps in. class room time is where concepts are discussed

8. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

To continue the conversation in effective use of practice time.

I've been expanding this drill to build mindset in a bigger class setting - so again I turned to football and started seeing how they practiced. Alot of football teams use stations. Each station represents a different drill that is reinforcing ( not teaching ) a skill.

So far boxing I've been trying this station set up.

right now I am using something like this:

footwork drill:3x3
    Boxing drill:3x3
    Conditioning drill 3x3
    Boxing drill 3x3

each group rotates until the work is done.

9. ElCapitano

ElCapitano Orange Belt

This might be a bit offtopic. But how do you get a guy to stfu during drilling? I've been working out with this guy at the gym and he tries to fix everything I do. It's driving me insane. Oh no no you are supposed to do it this way....thank god we had to switch partners for every technique we did today.

10. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

There's nothing wrong with a lil help - but the teaching should be done when the student is not drilling but waiting his
    His turn.

if it where me " dude, I got it" is all that's needed.

11. jensen34

jensen34 Orange Belt

Good stuff, I don't like it when coaches get too long winded especially in the middle of a session.

Especially when you have limited training time it's important to get those repetitions in for the sake of technique and conditioning. I always try to have respect for everyones time and discuss the "what if" scenarios after the session.

12. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

Preparation isn't just about learning techniques, but getting used to the pace and speed of real fight situations.

once you do that you will become fearless and step into that "zone"

Nervousness and pressure are products of your mind. The role of practice should move beyond thinking and react instinctively

13. a guy

a guy Black Belt

I was reminded of this thread recently. Two guys were trying to teach this new guy how to throw a left hook. And the new guy was as bad as it comes. I mean he was one of those big, strong, dumb guys who just doesn't understand verbal instructions well and doesn't understand how to use anything but arms for his punches. So his left hook was literally just him putting his hand on the mitt then shoving it forward and to the side a bit. The guys teaching him are telling him all about the finer details of the hook while I'm just sitting there thinking this guy's fist isn't even traveling in the right direction, how is he going to understand any of that? He didn't need a barrage of technical nonsense. He needed to just throw that hook a couple hundred times and have it guided towards more proper form. The worst was when he finally by chance got the lower body movement somewhat right, and no one pointed it out. If all they said was "do that again" and let him work, his hook would be 100 times better than when he started. He was getting no reps in and no chance to feel why what he was doing is wrong, so he went home more confused with the same shitty hook.

14. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

exactly.

Put the work in, then correct the move

Tell me what to do and ill forget it.

show me, let me do and ill learn it.

Let me teach it and ill master it.