how to pass the X guard?

PAVMENT=MATT

White Belt
Reaction score
how to pass the X`guard???

I have no idea. I just try to make them use the buterfly then pass from there. Any tips?

if you can free up the leg that is trapped by your opponent's arm you can step all the way over him and turn out of it. good luck with getting that leg free though....ahhhhh.....i got nothing

When Saulo R. and Marcelo where grappling, Saulo would get out of it by twisting his body to face the opposite direction and frees his leg out that way. He did it multiple times in the match and was able to get out.

Wolverine
///

isnt that what he wants so he can get your back. Tuirning in the oppisite drection?

Saulo was standing and Marcelo was on the ground. He can't get his back when Saulo was standing. I should have mentioned that detail... sorry.

BTW, he does it extremely fast.

Wolverine
///

i was wondering the same thing too. i figured out a couple ways to pass the half guard when he puts the hook in (like a half x-guard), but once he gets the other hook in im screwed.

I'm also interested in learning what you guys can share because I only know of two ways to try and pass the x-guard. 1) The Saulo move described above that I liken to a heel hook escape and 2) trying to push the front hook off (not really that effective cause there are tons of sweeps and counters designed for this scenario).

I think the best way to pass is before the X-guard is fully established. Once the X-guard is properly sunk, it is very difficult to escape. It is impossible to establish a good base since the X-guard attacks the base at all times.

I would not worry so much about the foot that is hooked. I would worry more about the foot that is trapped between the shoulder and the neck. If you can prevent your opponent from securing this foot, you can easily negate his X-guard. It should be easy to establish a base and begin a standard open guard pass.

I am no authority on X-guard, but I have always felt as if the trapped foot was a more important part than the hooked foot. On that basis, I would try to free the trapped foot first.

I actually just spoke to my friend/teammate about this subject (he's a very experienced purple belt) and he recommended the following to counter the x-guard.

He said that what he likes to do is to QUICKLY lean down using one arm to control the guy's head (establishing a BJJ crossface) and using the other arm to control the leg (the one grapevining behind you). Next he basically sprawls his hips while applying pressure on your face and leg the other direction. He says that he is able to pry himself lose from the x-guard this way and establish side control. According to him, the key is to do all this quickly before the guy tries a sweep attempt.

Back