How to not defend the armbar - My matches from comp yesterday

Stacking works to defend the armbar but if it's your left arm, your need to plant your left foot behind his back and keep your knee tight to his butt so he can't hip escape away or go belly down for the finish, which is what he did to you.
I second this!

Good job either way... Keep training. More training equals better results!

I understand the concept behind this phrase. 2 in or 2 out BUT I don't think this is universal for everyone.

I always leave an arm in just to bait the guy for the triangle choke or arm bar. Except (if i am passing to the left for example) I keep my right elbow dug into his hip while having a firm grip on middle of his Gi either on belt or lower part of lapel. The key is to keep the arm at an angle with a tight grip and elbow dug in.

They go for the triangle choke becuase normally they cannot pry my arm off them for arm bar. This position for my arm gives me room in case they try to slap that triangle on then I pass their right knee, stack and booyah i am in side control. Works almost everytime.

Trust me when I say that eventually you will get caught in a major match with a triangle if you continue this. Just learn a proper pass.

Trust me when I say that eventually you will get caught in a major match with a triangle if you continue this. Just learn a proper pass.

QFT

my vids are proof of the same concept. I got by doing weak guardpasses and armbar defenses because I am much bigger then all the guys in my club. now that I grappled guys more my size it didn't work

Besides that guy, I'll comment on your vids.

1) I thought you had the toehold, why'd you give it up?
2) Don't just go into a guys guard. In Vid 2, there's no way he could have just sat down and taken you into his guard like that unless you gave it to him. Fight the powah!
3) Nice kimura. Odd that you had such a hard time getting it though,. Kimura from N/S is MONEY in nogi.

Besides that guy, I'll comment on your vids.

1) I thought you had the toehold, why'd you give it up?
2) Don't just go into a guys guard. In Vid 2, there's no way he could have just sat down and taken you into his guard like that unless you gave it to him. Fight the powah!
3) Nice kimura. Odd that you had such a hard time getting it though,. Kimura from N/S is MONEY in nogi.

I had my grip too high up and was slipping of the toehold and was going to adjust when he got free, I thought I had it to, popped/cracked a few times

3, My arm was so dead from that second match, everytime I tried pulling up the pain was excruciating, I even told the ref to raise my right arm

Yeesh. Yay for fighting armbars to the last!

I bet his foot hurts though. Toeholds are a bitch.

Congrats...double props for posting videos of you losing. I think a lot of us would let ego get in the way and not do that. :icon_lol:

And on a side note, 22k posts...OMG! :eek:

Everytime I've been taught toeholds, it is shown with their leg bent up toward their butt. Makes it harder to resist and escape. I liked watching your matches, thanks.

lol, what the hell went wrong with the guy??

What went wrong with the guy is that he hurt his knee badly just 3 days before the competition so my participation is the comp was in great "danger".

Last time I took him down with a outside trip and since my knee was fucked up I really didn't want to take any chances fucking it up even further.

On another note, I laso sat my ass down in my second fight that day. I didnt do it to be an bad sport or anything just to protect my knee. Guess it backfired with the toehold :)

Last comment goes out to John. I promise not to sit my ass down next time we meet and if I do, then just go to the toehold :) Bra match! Vi ses p

Yeahbee:

Hi M you are too large to be like that smooth from the bottom

mw1986:

it knows itself as a refrigerator once you are there. At our club we have not so many big guys to roll with it when it is possible to sweep from the bottom in half guard / silk without perfect technique so now I have stopped taking it and just started to try to get back to the guard and run a lot guard. Especially good considering that my TD sucks (even though I got you down last time, was probably mostly luck, I guess

I was curious what you guys were saying. My google translation skills are awesome.

I was curious what you guys were saying. My google translation skills are awesome.

Google translator is awesome but obviously there is some flaws.. :)

What I was trying to say was that I try to work on my guard game now instead of my top game which is where I usually end up since I mostly roll with guys that I have 35-45 pounds on. Also pointed out that my TDs suck but it wasn't the reason to me sitting down as I already clarified.

:D Yeah, I was trying to figure out what the whole refrigerator and silk thing had to do with rolling.

In swedish it's possible to refer to an person without mobility and/or flexibility as a refrigerator. Hope it makes sense now.. I was just trying to point out that I wish I was much more mobile from the botton ( also, in general..).

The silk translation was my fault. I wrote side ( which means silk) in english instead of sida (which is in swedish).
Otherwise, thumbs up to the translator :)

Toe hold:

You didn't have his hips stuck/stationary (you were allowing him to spin).
His leg was too straight

You started off well, with your right leg pinning his leg to the ground. Once you let him up and start to spin, he straightened his leg and things got difficult.

At :22 you had his hips pinned again, but you needed to bend at the waist to bend his leg. Again you let pressure off of his free leg and he rolled, pushed on your bum, and got out.

When you're trying to finish the toe hold, think of planting his big toe in his butthole. This illustrates the bent-ness of the leg, the right entry into the toe hold, and the importance of keeping him from spinning (you can't put his toe in his butt if you're facing his bellybutton, for instance).

The guy was able to keep his cool, props to him for that. If he had freaked, he might've tapped earlier on. But because of your mistakes (not trapping the free leg/keeping his hips stationary, not bending his leg) he was able to roll out.

I think you were letting pressure off of his leg to add more torque to the toe hold. Next time, instead, scoot your butt towards his free leg to get a better angle on the toe hold, while maintaining pressure on his free leg to keep him from spinning. Finally, the strength of a toe hold is multiplied exponentially the more the leg is bent. Try it with your training partners; have their leg straight, and then have it bent at 90, and then maximum bentedness. You'll see a big difference, I guarantee it.

Points to work on:
- Pressure on free leg
- Scooting hips to get more pressure on toe hold (rather than shifting your weight)
- Keeping the toe-held leg bent

People who go for leglocks sometimes are so fixated on the lock that they forget about the free leg. If I had to rate it in importance, the leg you're attacking is 51% important, and the free leg is 49% important, and this really shows when you get guys used to defending leg locks.

I would suggest going Monson on them when they pull this shitty guard! I mean you have two choses, really you should schuck the sh!t out of them when they try that nonsense and make them stand back up and play your game. Nothing looks sillier (sp?) than someone trying to pull guard and they get shucked and end up on there ass at your feet. Really, those were not strong guard pulls and you are a big strong man (a little homo). Don't except that crap! If your game is to score on a takedown then don't just except there guard pulling. This isn't MMA so being on top isn't an advantage.

Second, like i said, go Monson on those fools. Burry your damn nose in there belly buttons when they pull guard. Hips tight, ARMS IN, and burry your head.

You just seemed to be a little frustrated and waded into there guard, head slightly up, arms slightly available.

DONT EXCEPT THAT WEAK ASS GUARS PULL!!!! Make they stand with you so you can dump them on there asses!!!!!

^^^no points Titlefight, and the dude who is a very friendly dude is in the thread :)

Nice write up Bagel

i must tighten up my game, too used to being bigger then everybody else

Hate seeing what the guy did in video number 1, really ridiculous not even to engage standing.

Ditto. I saw someone do it at the No- gi Panams - he literally sat down when the round began and the ref made him stand back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back