How to not defend the armbar - My matches from comp yesterday

YeahBee

Samdog Original Nine
Reaction score
How to not defend the armbar

really thought I had him there, his foot was making noises

I thought I was stacking him, not wanting to get caught with the same submission twice I held on for longer and fvcked my arm up, can't straighten it properly today and it bloody hurts:icon_sad:

So back to basics, no frekkin fancy stuff like toeholds

Surprisingly enough cardio felt good even thou I am sporting more of a gut then I would want, haven't been training as consistently as I want, frekkin Uni getting in the way

Last edited:
2 in or 2 out.

Either that or figure 4 your arm as soon as he gets the leg over.

2 in or 2 out.

yeah you can't see it due to the angle but I did in the second and thought I stacked enough to step over and pull out my arm, guess not:redface:

armbars aren't what I get caught with usually in training , but we don't have any guys this size is my excuse and I am sticking with it

should have done a marquart and worked up more of a sweat to

Hate seeing what the guy did in video number 1, really ridiculous not even to engage standing.

man, you should protect your wrists more. I can see you're a tough dude, and you're not used to get someone stronger in front of you, even the way you got that kimura with only one arm is crazy.

It was good to hear some swedish though, been a while (I'd love to come for a visit and train in Sweden.)

When you stack to defend the armbar keep your hips under you so you don't get to high and getted kicked over like you did. Keep the pressure and keep him stacked, but if you get to high he will just kick you over like a pedulam sweep and keep the armbar. That's the main thing that I saw. Hope it helps. Good luck with your training.

I wouldve tried to turn towards his back when you had the kimura. So I could switch to an armbar and win by one lol.

so I guess a fitting thread to ask how to make a mitella LoL

I like your style of grappling but you need to work on mobility. You really worked for the submission in the last video and it payed off. If you were to work on quickness you would be a beast.

A few constructive (I hope) criticisms:

In vids 1 and 2, you just accept to go into your opponents' closed guards. Don't do that. Stay standing or go to combat base. Keep distance. Or push to halfguard. Or feed their feet into a butterfly position ON YOUR TERMS.

But don't blindly dive in their closed guards. That was the beginning of the end in BOTH cases.

Also, I think you should go to the balls of your feet (knees off the mat) as soon as you feel the leg coming over your face in the armbar defense. It seemed you tried to stack from your knees for a second in both cases, which is a lot less efficient and which - maybe - was what prevented you from threading the attacked hand in the crook of your other elbow.

You went over because your pressure was off. This is a touch thing I guess.

Nice sweep with the kimura.

I thought it was odd that your hands kept slipping when you were trying to pull the kimura out. Working on your grip strength could help you, I guess.

Posture in the guard. Posture in the guard. Posture in the guard.

And how did your cardio feel good, you only grappled a few minutes?

3rd match, I did like the kimura sweep. Good job stepping up and challenging yourself. Use this as a learning experience and keep going.

Were your opponents in videos #2 and #3 also judoka? I've never seen anyone stand straight up like that in a no-gi match before.

Stacking works to defend the armbar but if it's your left arm, your need to plant your left foot behind his back and keep your knee tight to his butt so he can't hip escape away or go belly down for the finish, which is what he did to you.

Also helps with the stacking if you reach over with your right arm and crossface him and grab his right shoulder. And sometimes you can even pin his left arm with your right knee. Then he's not going anywhere.

Were your opponents in videos #2 and #3 also judoka? I've never seen anyone stand straight up like that in a no-gi match before.

Stacking works to defend the armbar but if it's your left arm, your need to plant your left foot behind his back and keep your knee tight to his butt so he can't hip escape away or go belly down for the finish, which is what he did to you.

Also helps with the stacking if you reach over with your right arm and crossface him and grab his right shoulder. And sometimes you can even pin his left arm with your right knee. Then he's not going anywhere.

people probably stand more straight up here because we don't have as many wrestlers

but also us bigger guys usually tend to work less singles/doubles then you smaller ones

lost his td mojo, lol.

good stuff though, thanks for posting.

2 in or 2 out.

I understand the concept behind this phrase. 2 in or 2 out BUT I don't think this is universal for everyone.

I always leave an arm in just to bait the guy for the triangle choke or arm bar. Except (if i am passing to the left for example) I keep my right elbow dug into his hip while having a firm grip on middle of his Gi either on belt or lower part of lapel. The key is to keep the arm at an angle with a tight grip and elbow dug in.

They go for the triangle choke becuase normally they cannot pry my arm off them for arm bar. This position for my arm gives me room in case they try to slap that triangle on then I pass their right knee, stack and booyah i am in side control. Works almost everytime.

Tough to see in video 2 but I would suggest that if you are going to stack to put your knee in his butt/hip. It will keep him from spinning out and completing the armbar like he did.

I can't believe they just keep letting him back up and never engage. Perhaps try shooting for a single but instead of actually trying to finish a single hit a inside leg trip instead? He is already backing up so that would make it easier.

Tough to see in video 2 but I would suggest that if you are going to stack to put your knee in his butt/hip. It will keep him from spinning out and completing the armbar like he did.

I can't believe they just keep letting him back up and never engage. Perhaps try shooting for a single but instead of actually trying to finish a single hit a inside leg trip instead? He is already backing up so that would make it easier.

it is a sub or draw competition so no stalling rules

any thoughts on the toehold?

you can here my teammates saying shareten (my own phonetic spelling of the swedish word for ass) but I didn't have a great grip for it, thought about switching ot a kneebar but he got out before I could get a different grip

Back