how to modify workout when resting lower back injury?

that beings said, is there any concerns about trying front squats for the first time with an already injured back?

Just to throw my opinion in on this particular point, I'd probably only done front squats properly two or three times before my semi-current injury but it was the only way I could squat recently and probably helped me to maintain some strength. I'll find out for sure in a few weeks when I start back squatting again.

I assure you that the only dicks in here ae those who have no experience in this forum and hear all kinds of bullshit from other forum memebrs who may have come in here with retarded questions or people who were simply not happy with the responses given... If you want to get strong and are willing to check an ego at the door, and learn, then this is the place for you!

definitely.. i've been lurking this forum daily since august.. posted a form check thread, etc. but it's definitely clear that everyone here likes to dig into anyone they don't know... which is why no one posts here, they just lurk.

definitely.. i've been lurking this forum daily since august.. posted a form check thread, etc. but it's definitely clear that everyone here likes to dig into anyone they don't know... which is why no one posts here, they just lurk.

I was there, man... I got hammered in my first posts. But I took the lickings and I am a lot smarter about what I do in the gym for it. Its not all about gallons of milk per day and 20 rep squats as most of the other sub-forums will have you believe...

I did my undergrad at Madison. I got into the Natatorium pool ONCE during one of my rehab periods, swam for 50 minutes, and basically came out with hypothermia. I swear, that pool is kept at preserve-dead-bodies temperatures. I don't know about the SERF one. I have used the YMCA west side pool for two different stretches of time and honestly, I really like it. The Y isn't that expensive and is very serviceable; I recommend checking it out. Hell, their weight room isn't that bad, either. I mean, I've seen worse. I guess that's not saying much. Let's try: it's not Planet Fitness.

It really just depends on the nature of the injury. The rule here is that if you can do it and cause yourself no pain, you're probably okay to do it. This is what some of the members of our team have done during certain injuries that prevented them from back squatting because of pain. I don't know exactly what's going on with your lower back, so I can't say for certain, but I will say that it's worth a try. And let's say you can do it--awesome! You've just learned a good variant to use in support of your regular back squat for the future--a front squat can be a good way to give your lower back a break, fortify core strength gaps, and work quads if you feel like your quads need extra emphasis.

I'll definitely give it a shot. And yea, I don't really know what's going on with my lower back either, I guess if it still hurts in a month or something I'll have to see a doctor. Do you still live in madison?

but it's definitely clear that everyone here likes to dig into anyone they don't know...

Occasionally, you'll find people on here who ARE helpful until you make an unfair generalization that includes them.

Then, they quickly stop being helpful.

that beings said, is there any concerns about trying front squats for the first time with an already injured back?

I'd answer your question, but see above. Best of luck.

I'll definitely give it a shot. And yea, I don't really know what's going on with my lower back either, I guess if it still hurts in a month or something I'll have to see a doctor. Do you still live in madison?

No, I'm now in Iowa with Kyle. I lived in Madison for about 85% of my life though. Good school, good city, good place to be situated. Enjoy it, just watch out for the mobs on Regent St. on game day if you're driving a car. They will part, amoeba-like, swallow your car, then reform and move on in beer-fueled revelry.

No, I'm now in Iowa with Kyle. I lived in Madison for about 85% of my life though. Good school, good city, good place to be situated. Enjoy it, just watch out for the mobs on Regent St. on game day if you're driving a car. They will part, amoeba-like, swallow your car, then reform and move on in beer-fueled revelry.

Nice, yea I like Madison quite a bit. Had only great things to say about the city until this last friday night, our house got broken into. I live on the east side in a really nice residential neighborhood near Atwood/east wash. I'm trying pretty hard to not get paranoid about it.

Occasionally, you'll find people on here who ARE helpful until you make an unfair generalization that includes them.

Then, they quickly stop being helpful.

I'd answer your question, but see above. Best of luck.

i expressed my appreciation for you being a good guy multiple times in this thread.. come on.. you don't need to nitpick on my hyperbolic nature ;)

shall I edit to "nearly everyone" or "everyone in the first couple of pages" or "everyone after the first few responses"? I think you know I appreciate your advice even beyond this thread, as most people do.

I was there, man... I got hammered in my first posts. But I took the lickings and I am a lot smarter about what I do in the gym for it. Its not all about gallons of milk per day and 20 rep squats as most of the other sub-forums will have you believe...

yup, that's what makes it worthwhile to try. thanks for your responses dude

I would stretch, a lot. Quite a bit of lower back pain can be traced back to tight hamstrings. Not diagnosing you, just offering a suggestion.

With that being said, I wouldn't recommend running either.

Walking is widely considered the best activity for rehabbing back sprains - its beneficial effects are quite remarkable, in large part simply due to increased blood flow around the inflamed area. Note that if your movement patterns are dodgy enough to have precipitated a lumbar strain, you oughtn't take up a high impact, repetitive activity like running as a response. You need to sort your lumbopelvic kinematics out, mate.

McGill's rehab movements are a sound basis for restoring mobility and stability in the necessary places.

'Butt wink' is a common compensation pattern that will diminish with improved hip extension. Be aware that stretching your hamstrings won't address the problem if they're already overstretched due to tight hip flexors. Lunge stretches erryday, yo.

Back