How to mentally deal with a long-term injure

Beylerbey

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So, a few days ago I sustained a long-term injury for the first time in my life. Tore my ACL during Greco. I feel like garbage because I will not be able to train for many months and even when I will start training again, I have a feeling it won't ever be the same. It's kind of making me feel depressed. Can anyone who's had a similar injury chime in? How did you deal with this bullshit?

Painkillers and meth you will be throwing dudes in no time

Seriously let it rest and start exercising it after recovery period its the only way

Chick in my mma class blew her knee to dantes hell but managed to train after 6 months and even compete.

I've worked with a lot of patients both before and after surgery (and sometimes during but usually before) physical rehab.

Only thing I can tell you is: do the therapies, without fail, or you'll fuck up the healing process, making any efforts at recovery pointless. Take your gym mentality into every session.

Also, have a determined, positive mental set. I don't know how people get there, though.

I have multiple hobbies, but most of them are physical. The one hobby that isn't very physical is guitar. I'd probably just dive into that a lot more than I normally play.

Do you have other hobbies? You can also work around it. Build some upper body strength. Work some grip strength. Etc.

So, a few days ago I sustained a long-term injury for the first time in my life. Tore my ACL during Greco. I feel like garbage because I will not be able to train for many months and even when I will start training again, I have a feeling it won't ever be the same. It's kind of making me feel depressed. Can anyone who's had a similar injury chime in? How did you deal with this bullshit?

Time to allocate more of your time on the mental aspect of the game.

Learn about:
- Willpower
- Affirmations
- Positive mindsets
- Focus
- Visioning
- Inner peace
- Leadership
- Mentor, coach, advise, assist
- Strategy
- Branding and storytelling

Stay close to the action, and combine your recovery efforts with what @Overpressure said.

Think of the challenge as an extended period of active rest. Learn as much as you can, stay light and have fun with it, and you will bounce back stronger; even if the sum of your efforts takes you into a new life direction.

Good luck!

My wife tore both her ACLs and had surgeries, and she tore one of them again about 75% three years ago, but opted not to do surgery. Three years on she's squatting 300 and she's stronger then ever in her life. You got this my man, just be consistent in therapy and listen to your body.

Try not to think about it and you will be fine.

Also @Beylerbey , I forgot to recommend Emotional Intelligence, Stoicism, Peak Performance, and Resiliency. Pay particularly close attention to exercising good diet habits. If you become depressed, eat as a self-soothing remedy, and start going soft mentally and physically; it's game over, that's a wrap.

Use your story as a source of inspiration. I have a kindle unlimited subscription, and after reading your situation, it inspired me to
get "Resilience: Hard-Won Wisdom for Living a Better Life". If you want a digital copy, drop me a line.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Do the therapies like it's your job.
I've always used physical strength to compensate for lack of athleticism. Wrecked my shoulder. Took a long time past the therapy stages for me to get comfortable lifting with it. It'll never quite be the same. They consciousness of it being there and no longer invulnerable is very real but I'm still active. I can still throw a sucka. I'm good. You will be too.

ACL surgery is pretty standard these days. I know at least two dozen guys really well who had torn ACL's, and still play football years later without a brace. I'd do some research on the doctor performing the surgery though.

When I broke my leg two years ago (it was nasty) I was a little depressed as I needed a bed pan for a couple of weeks as I wasn't allowed to move it. I took the time to catch up on movies, tv shows, and books I hadn't seen/read in a while. Try to enjoy the forced time off, just don't eat like a fat fuck like I did lol, took me months to lose the weight.

eyJpdSI6ImVkNDkzMTYxNTNmZjJlY2Q4ODk4OTg1YzBkZmIxODI5ZGQ4Mzk0Mjk5NDZmZTRkY2IxMzdiZGVkNzNkMzMzOGQiLCJ3IjoyMTAsImgiOjE0MCwiZCI6MS41LCJjcyI6MCwiZiI6MH0.jpg

You learn to be more careful with your coordination, and don't engage in activities that make it too difficult for you to be coordinated while you're doing them.

I've been there my brother and nothing sucks worse. I feel for ya. I've had TWO back surgeries and was out for 8 months both times.... :(

1. Find something else that's healthy to do with your time.
2. Go easy on the pain meds because the more you take, the more you need to take.
3. Starve or you will get fat at an alarming rate :eek:
4. Hang in there, don't rush it, let it heal properly. ;)
5. Don't believe the Doctors. They always paint the darkest picture. Believe that you are going to be fine

* I healed up just fine, even though they told me I wouldn't. I am able to do all the same things I could do before except long distance running and quite frankly, running sucks for even a healthy body and I don't miss it at all. ;)

I had foot surgery in September and only recently been able to get back properly training. Was bed ridden the first two weeks then hobbling for the next 6 all non weight bearing

I have to have the surgery again in a few months too and again its a 8 to 12 week non weight bearing situation. Sothat leg just atrophies to hell, i cant train effectively, have to struggle to shower and do anything

Its unpleasant for sure, especially for someone like me whose therapy is physical training.

Just know that you come through it, you heal and you continue as normal. a few months in terms of the rest of your life isnt that huge of a deal. Just do what you can and try new things. I started learning the guitar while i was down and thats a new hobby for me, In terms of your sport there was a study done proving that visualization is just as effective as physical training, so visualize yourself doing the techniques. When you return your technique should be exactly there, just your strength will need rebuilding and muscle memory is a wonderful thing, it comes back quick

ACL surgery is pretty standard these days. I know at least two dozen guys really well who had torn ACL's, and still play football years later without a brace. I'd do some research on the doctor performing the surgery though.

When I broke my leg two years ago (it was nasty) I was a little depressed as I needed a bed pan for a couple of weeks as I wasn't allowed to move it. I took the time to catch up on movies, tv shows, and books I hadn't seen/read in a while. Try to enjoy the forced time off, just don't eat like a fat fuck like I did lol, took me months to lose the weight.

This is SO important

Thats the reason i have to go through the ordeal again. My original surgeon, although a doctor of 30 years was ill experienced with my specific issue and didnt fix it what so ever. Was absolutely infuriating i went through all that pain and downtime for nothing and have ro go through it again

So absolutely choose your doctor wisley and dont rush in

You can come back, for sure. Big nog almost died after getting run over by a truck. Use him for Inspiration. I'd do that, anyway.

Have peace of mind knowing that our alien creators built a healing function for us that if working properly will fix you back to normal... for the most part. Being proactive and eating the nutrients that help healing/immune system would probably help.

Back