How to make a grappling dummy!

I've actually done this. I printed out the instructions, and put it all together.
I used the option of using PVC pieces (approx 1 foot long) for the forearms, upper arms, shin and thigh areas. That way you can do things like arm bars, kimura etc and know where the elbow is, and it bends properly.
Plus they're great for doing throws.

I made one, it works great for drills. I'm trying to figure out how to reinforce it for throws but keep the flexibility for ground. Otherwise I might just make another. The total cost was about $50. I wasn't able to find Service Entrance cable but they had some other stuff in a box.

I'll put the type of wire that I used on mine when I get home from work.

thats great, thanks, i've been wanting a dummy to practice my wrestling but couldn't afford the usually several hundred dollar pricetag.

Unfortunately, I threw out the box that the wire came in but this is basically the stuff that I used.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=70006-295-28827422&lpage=none

I made the dummy to be similar to my dimensions. I built the frame and then used those pool noodle type things for arms and legs. Wal-Mart sells some pretty thick ones for about $1.49.

I bought a 50lb bag of sand and split it 4 ways into trash bags, using 2 additional trash bags to wrap around the main bag with the sand. I then put a trash bag where the biceps and thighs would be. I had sand left over from a previous project (approx. 25lbs) and used that in the chest. I added another layer in the form of old clothes wrapped around the sandbags and the frame.

Where I could have saved some money was on the duct tape. Like the article suggests, I went with some 3M tape, but you could probably also use the stuff they sell at 99cent stores or Dollar Tree if your budget is really tight.

For the head I used foot-long pieces of noodle. I'm not very happy with the way the head and neck turned out but they do the job. I used tennis balls cut in half for knees and elbows. I also used the tennis ball halves at the ends of the arms and legs to protect against being poked by the wire. This could have been prevented by cutting the noodles longer, but it is my first time making one.

I'll take a picture once it's presentable, right now it's not pretty, but it is great for going through drills.

At this point, my main concern is improving my technique, one thing that I'd like to do in the future is add a little more weight to the frame.

sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Back