How to Low kick: mechanics and tactics

You know (should say as you know), the low kick is one of the advantages of the Muay Thai style. Kyokushin karate also, but not the same emphasis. They specialize in kicks to all zones.

The low kick makes a great tool for MMA competition, as your 1st win it shows perfectly. You also mention that it is relatively easy to counter. Interesting take.

<{1-9}>Do you have any tape on the fight?

@StanClarker a couple clarifications:

there's not much emphasis on low kicks in Muay Thai as a sport. The ruleset rewards kicks from the waist up much more than low kicks, so the emphasis in training is generally on the higher kicks (ribcage, arms)

I keep reading you talk about Muay Thai as a "style" and I think that causes some confusion. See, Muay Thai is a sport that encompasses a handful of (very) different styles, and ONE OF THEM emphasizes in low kicks. Most Nak Muay rarely throw them, or only uses them as a distraction.

The low kick makes a great tool for MMA competition, as your 1st win it shows perfectly. You also mention that it is relatively easy to counter.

While I do agree about the bold part I must point out that I've never fought in MMA. I helped to train a couple of MMA fighters with the striking bits and spent a couple years training MMA for a hypothetical fight that didn't materialize.

The 1st fight I was refering to was a Muay Thai fight:

And what I said was that it was easy to defend against, meaning blocking it with the shin. I didn't say it was easy to counter.

@StanClarker a couple clarifications:

there's not much emphasis on low kicks in Muay Thai as a sport. The ruleset rewards kicks from the waist up much more than low kicks, so the emphasis in training is generally on the higher kicks (ribcage, arms)
I did not know that. Seen so many videos of the reverse... but that is me being a YT warrior. You're in the thick of it.

I keep reading you talk about Muay Thai as a "style" and I think that causes some confusion. See, Muay Thai is a sport that encompasses a handful of (very) different styles, and ONE OF THEM emphasizes in low kicks. Most Nak Muay rarely throw them, or only uses them as a distraction.
I see. My view is partly out of ignorance. I've never trained Muay Thai,,, it's not even on my further investigation list. Much of what I see also, is from observing MMA fights... and I would readily concede much of that quality is below par. Which makes an opportunity for you..

Karate has quite a number of discernible styles, with many offshoots from those. Karate styles generically however, share common fundamental elements. Which only makes karate confusing & difficult for those looking in. Boxing on the other hand, is most transparent on it's basic principles, and the specializations readily segregated.

While I do agree about the bold part I must point out that I've never fought in MMA. I helped to train a couple of MMA fighters with the striking bits and spent a couple years training MMA for a hypothetical fight that didn't materialize.

The 1st fight I was refering to was a Muay Thai fight:

And what I said was that it was easy to defend against, meaning blocking it with the shin. I didn't say it was easy to counter.[/QUOTE]
Good descriptions... am watching now.

I'm taking you as Blue gloves. Really, one of the better "MMA" striking contests comparatively speaking. Knowing it's not MMA. Footwork, stances, technique seem good both of you. Opponent a step down skill wise. Both using low kicks.

I don't have a good boxing video... but I'm sure there is one cataloged @ TSF. The analogy they say in boxing is how the jab is so important in controlling the fight... or that the lead hook is the most dangerous. Here, your low kicks fit that bill.

Tying into your lesson vid, 2nd fight vid @ time = 0:45, your opponent makes the mistake of leaning his head back creating the very low kick problems you speak about.<JackieThumbsUp>

I like how fast this fight is over. Shows the excellent preparation on your part. And your opponent was quite game.<mma3>

Thanks Lucas! That was very helpful.

For the kick to have a whipping effect, is that just dependent on loose your legs are or are there any other factors too?

^^To be honest I never think much about the kicking leg other than to push off the ground as hard as I can. What I meant by that is that I let it relaxed and the extension of the knee flows naturally.

@Hatake88

Hey, @William Huggins , first of all thanks for your comment! I really appreciate the opportunity to reflect upon what I teach and practice.

Although I should point out that most of the kicks in the video you attached were fired using a bent support leg, sometimes more subtle than others. The only ones I saw extended legs were thrown when the opponent was already "sold" and they were going for the kill.

About telegraphing,
I think those subtle changes in height that are inherent to the Muay Thai rhythm hides those entries pretty well. Originally I intended to go deeper on this subject at that final part when I adressed feinting, but I decided upon making another video just for that.

This is the video that most influenced my low kicking technique:

Just to chime in on the conversation, I think bending the support leg gets you off the line of the counter right a bit more. I noticed it was big in heavyweight k1, when there was a lot of strong punchers.

Back