How to learn leg locks in a school that doesn’t teach them

Deltafarce

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
im very interested in leg locks, I know how to do variations of the straight ankle. If I practice the straight ankle does that translate over to other attack’s ? So what I’m looking at is could I practice ankle locks in live rolling but when I train with friends outside the gym I could work on other leg attacks that aren’t legal in Gi just for fun ?

im very interested in leg locks, I know how to do variations of the straight ankle. If I practice the straight ankle does that translate over to other attack’s ? So what I’m looking at is could I practice ankle locks in live rolling but when I train with friends outside the gym I could work on other leg attacks that aren’t legal in Gi just for fun ?

Good ankle locks normally translate to good hh, thing is, is not the finish what you will have to worry about is the entries and control what makes you a good leg locker or not...

Go to a new school. If yours doesnt teach updates techniques what good is it?

Go and train where they let white belts heelhook each other.

Lol

The last 3 years I've been at a non-leg-friendly gym, and what I've realized is that 1. your gym will begin to accept leglocks more if you can show that you can reliably hit them 2. you need to buy good leg instructionals to learn them properly since the people at your gym won't help you and may give you bad advice (for me it was a combo of Roli Delgado Legal Leglocks and Craig Jones Leg Attacks).

There's plenty of ways to learn them, instrucionals, seminar, YouTube, insta etc. To get the practice you can cross train or even just drill them after class

Go to a new school. If yours doesnt teach updates techniques what good is it?
There is no reason for a good gi school to allow heel hooks, there aren't allowed in almost any gi competition (saw footage of some heel hook injuries in some minor one so it's allowed somewhere).
You don't see greco roman/freestyle wrestling, judo or boxing schools allowing heel hooks do you?

If it is strictly a gi competition school then I agree with you 100% practice what you will use. But I dont see many schools lole that. Most if not all have no gi classes as well.

That being said as well, even if you hate heel hooks you should learn the mechanics to escape them because they may be used on you one day. Then you need to learn escapes, and you wont learn escapes if you dont learn how they are properly applied.

Even if you dissagree with everything I said, you should still want to learn every aspect of grappling. Even if just a little bit.

Or you can wind up being the furious black belt who makes every excuse in the book when you get beat by a move that you dismissed . One of those guys who thinks no gi is stupid and everyone knows why.

At the end of the day he are training a fight sport. Even if you dont want to admit it. I want to learn how to win every fight. And adapting to change is the key to modern martial arts.

Hum. How much judo and wrestling do you do then?

Are you planning to go to a judo club and earn a judo black belt as well?

Learning heelhook . Just go to a bjj gym that allow their white belt to heelhook each other. Should be something like in your areA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back