How to kill laziness?

first test yourself. then set a goal for yourself a little bit harder than your test. and keep going from there.

dedication is the key to success

Hey, thanks a lot for the helpful ideas. I've taken many of them to practice; I read an article that mentions that if one visualizes oneself shirtless beside many women (like in the beach), that this would be very helpful as motivation, and it works.

LCDforMe said:
How long does it take to quit a habbit? I recently just gave up lifting. I don't know why either...I haven't lifted in like 2 or so weeks.

I think 21 days becuase you can't "quit" a habit, you just supplant it with a new one.

I am the worlds largest procratinator. I'm at work and I have to do something, and the sooner I do it the faster I can get home, yet I"m offering advice in forums I rarely go to just to put it off.

Back to the point. I am such a creature of habit. If I start drinking after work, I start drinking almost every day (not drunk, just a few beers, especially with dinner). If I stop drinking then I have no problem from abstaining at all. Its all just what my routine is, I am the same with eating healthy. I'm also the same with working out. When I workout and incorporate it into my schedule I feel like shit when I don't go. Just go every time you are supposed to for at least 2 weeks, never miss it once and you should be more into going.

Also, don't think about it. If I get home from school and turn on the TV and start thinking about my workout I won't go. I"ll think about how much more study time I"ll have if I stay home, maybe I can take a nap, clean up a bit etc etc... I need to just come home, take a shit, change and then go workout without thinking. If you don't think about it you don't have time to convince yourself not to go.

The Technical said:
Hey, thanks a lot for the helpful ideas. I've taken many of them to practice; I read an article that mentions that if one visualizes oneself shirtless beside many women (like in the beach), that this would be very helpful as motivation, and it works.

I think you are supposed to think of the women shirtless haha.

iset goals. if you really want something, you know you have to work for it.

set goals. if you really want something, you know you have to work for it.

LCDforMe said:
How long does it take to quit a habbit? I recently just gave up lifting. I don't know why either...I haven't lifted in like 2 or so weeks.

Thats not giving it up, thats overdoing it, getting depressed and thinking your just going to stop.

Thats happened to me before, I end up back in the gym after another week because I feel I'm getting fat and lazy and weak

What about trying to go to the gym 2 or three times a day. There's where I think its rough. For me all it took was this. I was set for a date through a friend it was a blind date. It seemed we had fun well I did atleast. Asked her if we were gonna see each other again and nope. Found out she didn't like me cause of my size. I guess she woulda def gone out with me again if I were thinner cause of my personality. I said that's enough. This was three weeks ago. I am 6'3 335 lbs. I changed the way I eat. I joined a gym. I am now actually working out everyday. I almost talked myself outta it today but boy am I glad I didn't. I am now getting to the point where I want to start going twice a week a new hurdle. My personal goal is to be at 300 in a month. I know I can do it. Then when I hit 300 I am going back to martial arts.

...the most important thing I've found is to set yourself measurable and achievable goals (dont just say that you want to lose weight and have better cardio but actuaaly quantify the state you want to be in, by say 6 months time and then again for a year from now), once you've set these goals write them down and keep coming back to them to remind yourself of what your trying to achieve and extend them when their achieved.

Once you have these goals the next thing to do is to plan how you can achieve them, come up with a fitness regime that you can complete (dont try and kill yourself on your first day because you wont stick with the plan if its too difficult to start with) and then write this down and stick with it. Again keep going back over the routine and adapting it as you become fitter.

This is fucking gold, TTT for the great advice given here.

Eldritch thread-necromancy! Warn the village!

Routine gets me. If I have a day off, I can't even do that because I'm so used to training.

Set small goals for yourself.

I'm 35 yrs old, and consider myself to be a generally a strong good athlete. So I slowed down my training, thinking I'm one of the strong ones out of all my friends, and I start gaining fat and eatin' a lot more junk. Then, this 26 yr old kid comes into my friendship cirlce, and he's "cocky, cut, and strong". I have to admit, I got jealous, and still am. So I start training again, and watch what I eat, but my body doesn't gain and recover as fast as before. So I work harder, motivating myself by thinking of his cocky attitude. And like the Six Million Dollar Man, I'm Stronger, Faster, Better...

I also watch Pumping Iron to get a lift.

Back