How to keep notes in BJJ Class?

The notes have already been taken on 500+ moves.............study and begin cross referenceing moves to compile combinations.............visualize at the end of the day............set the moves in your head.

Benefit from these notes........... http://bjjbook.com/Content.html

On a serious note if you could take a story I'll give ya one.

My brothers SOPH year in HS he was a JV wrestler with about a .500 winning percentage. No one else in my family had ever wrestled so coming to me was useless at the time. During the Summer we checked out an old school black and white wrestling book made in the 50's or 60's and we used that book as our reference point.
Needless to say practicing out of a book with a newb(me) and a semi newb (him) and with the lack of space made it interesting to say the least. Basically we practiced on an old matress that we stuck in a spare room so moves that took alot of space (like most takedowns) were really not practiced. Add to that that 3 other Jv guys would come over and wrestle it made for some cramped grappling..lol

in just 4 months they were able to get really good at certain moves on the feet like the snapdown and front headlock to cradle and got really good at wrestling from the top and pretty good at reversals from the bottom.
His Junior year he was able to beat out the senior wrestler on his team in front of him in his weight and he had about a 75% win % on varsity and made it to regionals. The other 3 that came to practice also made the varsity squad although their positions were vacated by graduation of the guys in front of them. 2 out of those 3 also made regionals.
The team that year finsihed 13-1 only losing to a team that has not been beaten since the late 70's and still are unbeaten today.

My point is there are texts out there that illustrate the moves and positions. Just practice them at home with a partner, the actual practice will help u REFINE your moves and catch the small details you might have missed in the book.
I do not think actually taking notes is really needed unless its a new revolutionary move that has not been documented anywhere. But those are few and far between.

Good Luck.

what I do is right when I get home I just record the moves I got a bro that does it with me and a wife so its easyer but anyways, I just set my recorder up and do the moves slowly talkin myself through them. Works really well.

people that visit our academy literally brings a note pad and pen on the mat and takes notes.

Back