How to keep blue gi from fading? + Mizuno Eurocomp go or no go?

IChinaManI

Green Belt
Reaction score
So basically I have an illegal blue ichiban gi right now and have been thinking about upgrading. If my knee is ok and I fight junior nationals in judo, I need a new white and blue gi. So I've been thinking about getting two eurocomps. I heard the fit is a bit slimmer than the ichibans, and I personally like the lengths of the skirts on the ichiban. The eurocomp is a step up though, and I think I'm gonna get it. I'm really sketched out about the size though, I'm guessing I'm about a size 5 (6'2-6'3, 235-240 pounds). I don't want to order something online and then have it not fit, so I'm not sure.

Also how do I keep the blue from fading if I get a new gi? My ichiban is one of my buddies old gis, and it's faded like hell. I heard washing it with two cups of vinegar or soaking it in salt water helps? Any truth to this, and does it actually work? Also washing it inside out?

Dont they make a reversable Gi?
Save your money and buy that thing -

The vinegar is something i heard as well.. but i think the best is just hang drying it. Wash it in cold water -

I dont mind when gi's are faded.

The vinegar is something i heard as well.. but i think the best is just hang drying it. Wash it in cold water -

indeed it does
wash it in cold water and hang dry.. which takes FOREVER but helps it to prevent fading

get a eurocomp. fit, finish, and feel are fantastic.

whoa...alliteration much?

I am 2'' shorter and 10lb lighter and i have always had a size 6, but i am slighty thick around the middle. I would say get a 5.5, or talk to vin at kodokangear.com. As far a blue gi's, after its broke in, it will hold its color longer if you just were it when you need it. Use a color holding detergent, and DO get it large enough to compinsate fof shrinkage, cold water washing and hang drying is stupid!

Wash in cold and hang dry has always worked well for me. One of my blue gi's is five years old, still looks good (well, pretty worn out, but the color is good).

Yeah I tend to machine wash with cold water, and hang dry all my judo stuff, but I heard that no matter what, it will fade unless I do the vinegar or salt thing. Does it actually work though? And the reversable gi I heard is really heavy and a complete bitch lol. I would get the blue if I had a choice, since white always turns yellow for some reason, since I don't use bleach or detergent with my gis. I hate looking like a dirty son of a bitch if I ain't one.

My buddies old ichiban that I'm wearing is 4.5 and it fits pretty, good except the jacket is now too small, so I'm thinking 5 should be ok. How do I get ahold of this vin guy from kodokangear?

My buddies old ichiban that I'm wearing is 4.5 and it fits pretty said:
Vin is the go to guy for judogis, his web sit is kodokangear.com, phone US 866-563-6526, Canada, 650-585-2188, hours are 9-5:30 PST. His website has size charts for most manufactures and he can recomend what will fit better for your body type.

dude, just let it fade. It adds some personality. It's faded because you use it....know what i mean?

it's cooler after it's faded a bit. :p

^I sweat alot so I look wet lol. I don't like the faded look. Anyways I ordered a size 5 today, I'm prayin it fits correctly, if the charts are right at kodokan gear, it's gonna be big for me 0_o hopefully they're wrong. For a big guy, I have really short arms LOL. So is the vinegar a go or no go? I don't use detergent with my gi cause I find it softens it, so I just use cold water and hang dry. Any other ideas for making sure the colour stays, I mean I looked at the back of the ichiban and it is fading sooooo badly, the collar is turning white, I DON'T want this to happen lol.

ttt, I never got a solid answer, what should I do? I don't want it faded, but apparently vinegar ruins it I heard, and I don't use detergent for my gi? So is there anyway I can prevent the fade, or should I just leave it?

wash it in woolite

Could try a commercial dye lock (stuff in which you soak dyed cloth to enhance color fastness) like this stuff:
Retayne

I'm not affiliated, I just googled the stuff.

Best of luck.

ttt, I never got a solid answer, what should I do? I don't want it faded, but apparently vinegar ruins it I heard, and I don't use detergent for my gi? So is there anyway I can prevent the fade, or should I just leave it?

I've got a two year old Atama that I did the vinegar soak to and it looks maybe 6 months old. It has held up fine with training 3 to four times a week and being washed and dried in a dryer at least once a week for two years. I have a few gi 's I cycle through but I wash each one after each session. I've got a GOMGI that I bought maybe 8 months back and didn't do the vinegar soack to and it alrady looks ancient.

Atama actually has a page on their site and an insert in the gi when you buy it that tells you how to soak it in vinegar to lock the dye in.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CARING FOR YOUR ATAMA PRODUCTS

And man you have to use some kind of detergent when you wash it or that thing will be just nasty in a couple months.

Don't be the smelly guy no one want to roll with. If having a faded looking gi is that big a deal just buy a white one and problem solved.

VINEGAR is awesome. Kept my gi from fading. You have to soak it in vinegar with cold water for at least half an hour BEFORE wearing it. Then wash it like normal. The smell will go away with one wash. Always air dry your gi. If you have to dry your gi make sure you put it on delicate.

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3177.jpg

Eventually I will post comparison pics of my gi and my buddy's gi that he purchased the same day and did not soak in vinegar. The difference is worth the trip the grocery store and buying $3.00 worth of vinegar.

Really?^ I heard that vnegar may actually damage your gi and salt water is better?

the only way to stop your gi from fading is by not wearing it

I think I'm gonna go with the dissolved cup of salt method lol, everybody over at the judo forum thinks vinegar will own my gi so im sketched out now...0_o

Back