how to judge a fighter's chin?

Izurmumhom**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are guys who just take the hardest shots and barely flinch like chael sonnen

There are guys who never get koed or finished but they drop like flies and spend most of the fight getting pounded like Dan Miller.

which one is more impressive and shows a "better" chin I guess.

There are guys who just take the hardest shots and barely flinch like chael sonnen

There are guys who never get koed or finished but they drop like flies and spend most of the fight getting pounded like Dan Miller.

which one is more impressive and shows a "better" chin I guess.

SOme guys have good chins and other guys are good at recovering and have good scrambling instincts.

SOme guys have good chins and other guys are good at recovering and have good scrambling instincts.

but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't a fighter's chin his overall ability to take hits and not get koed? so both situations describe that. and not every fighter who gets dropped and gets back scrambles. they just take a big shot, fall, and stand back up while the guy is punching himself out.

You can't judge a fighters chin because it ultimately is going to come down to a comparison to another fighter's chin.

No two fighters ever take the same strike so it's impossible to verify that the shot that Ludwig KO'd Goulet with would or would not have KO'd Mark Hunt.

Big heads like hunt, hendo, anderson

It's weird melvin completely mind fucked me he gets rocked by jabs but then against stephans and in the varner fight he took hooks and other punches from them that looked like the had no effect one punch from varner did drop melvin but he sprung back up immediately and wasn't on shaky legs or anything idk lol...

It's weird melvin completely mind fucked me he gets rocked by jabs but then against stephans and in the varner fight he took hooks and other punches from them that looked like the had no effect one punch from varner did drop melvin but he sprung back up immediately and wasn't on shaky legs or anything idk lol...

thats actually a really good point. like i remember there was some tuf guy named shamar bailey who lasted 3 rounds of evan dunham beating his face in but in his next fight he got tkoed in a minute. that inconsistency makes this even harder.

punctuation

but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't a fighter's chin his overall ability to take hits and not get koed? so both situations describe that. and not every fighter who gets dropped and gets back scrambles. they just take a big shot, fall, and stand back up while the guy is punching himself out.

I'd say most people consider your chin to be how big of a shot you can withstand. Frankie doesn't seem to have a good chin but he scrambles and recovers very quick which make him hard to put away. Anderson baits his opponents into punching him in the head cause he can take it. Another example is Shogun who rarely blocks these days but he can take big shots and use it to counter. None of these guys get KO'd but Anderson and Shogun have the better "chins" because they can take that big hit whereas Frankie has instincts that help him survive and make up for a weaker chin.

I'd say most people consider your chin to be how big of a shot you can withstand. Frankie doesn't seem to have a good chin but he scrambles and recovers very quick which make him hard to put away. Anderson baits his opponents into punching him in the head cause he can take it. Another example is Shogun who rarely blocks these days but he can take big shots and use it to counter. None of these guys get KO'd but Anderson and Shogun have the better "chins" because they can take that big hit whereas Frankie has instincts that help him survive and make up for a weaker chin.

What's your opinion on melvin?

Here's what I think. I think you can judge fighters chins not based KO losses(unless you've had alot of KO losses) or how often they get dropped, but what and who they've been dropped by. For example, every time Shoguns been dropped, it's been by power shots thrown by fighters who are known as power hitters, so it's safe to say that Shogun has a pretty awesome chin. Rashad Evans on the other hand who has only been KOed once, has been dropped and rocked by shots that wouldn't have rocked a presumably stronger chinned fighter, so Rashad is seen as fighter with a week chin.

What's your opinion on melvin?

I'm assuming you mean Melvin Guillard. I think that on the whole he has a solid chin but his problem is more when he get's reckless and sometimes we see him get hurt by weaker punches because he doesn't see it coming and moves right into it. He's a good striker and when he fights smart he can take some shots but when he gets reckless as he was against Cerrone which led to him walking into that kick and Stephens where he was moving into punches which made them hit harder and catch him off guard they were able to stun him. That's what it looks like to me but it's just my take on it ;)

Rashad Evans on the other hand who has only been KOed once, has been dropped and rocked by shots that wouldn't have rocked a presumably stronger chinned fighter, so Rashad is seen as fighter with a week chin.

Same could be said for Rampage, yet Rampage is said to have an "iron chin"

The problem is you can't presume when having a discussion like this.

You can't judge a fighters chin because it ultimately is going to come down to a comparison to another fighter's chin.

No two fighters ever take the same strike so it's impossible to verify that the shot that Ludwig KO'd Goulet with would or would not have KO'd Mark Hunt.

Exactly , the Chin wears down over time from repeated damage without healing

If I had to pick one it would for sure be the "take one on the chin and not even flinch" type of chin I can only imagine what that does to a fighter's confidence

Same could be said for Rampage, yet Rampage is said to have an "iron chin"

The problem is you can't presume when having a discussion like this.

Rampage hasn't been dropped by a punch in like 7 years

Rampage hasn't been dropped by a punch in like 7 years

The guy I quoted said dropped or rocked

Rampage has been rocked several times in the last few of years

Back