how to increase ones vertical jump

first of all this thread is clearly not stupid,. and many people are intrested in it, second when i say "lifting" i mean lifting as in lying on your back and lifting a weight up , and im prety sure that wont help me jump higher so cmon

Squats, Cleans, Snatches, Deadlifts. These you do not do lying down. Go reread the FAQ before this thread is closed.

i know but when someone said "lifting" that can mean anything so i was asking

It can mean "anything" yet you automatically assumed a movement where you lay down? Good job

Something that has helped my vert recently has been jump roping.

weighted squats, weighted calve raises, depth jumps, deadlift, burpees, and jumping rope is what i did for 4 months. My leap went from 28 to 35

google "air alert" .. thats what I'm trying now.

Funny story... back when I was 15 yrs old, I started using the Air Alert II program, which was the first workout program I'd ever used in my life at that point. I did it over the summer with some free weight trainng at night thrown in for balance (my bright idea). The thing is, I totally fucked it up with a bad diet, so I only gained 6 1/2" on my leap after 3 months of using it, but went from 135 to 180 lbs. Stupid and counterproductive, I know, but at that age I was a total noob when it came to nutrition.

In the end I was a lot stronger and had much better cardio, but didn't gain the vertical leap increase I'd wanted. Moral of the story, make sure you follow everything the program states. They did mention that weight increase was possible if you didn't adhere to a strict diet. Selfpwnage.

There's so much stupidity in this thread it makes my head hurt. I believe I have seen you in S/P so why dont you go back and read the FAQ again and again.

When did you ever hear any of us praise the benefits of laying on our back when lifting weights? in fact we all say that bench is probably one of the lesser lifts when it comes to overall body strength.

Limit strength will help improve efficiency of your CNS and Muscles in helping you become stronger ...plyometrics/olympic lifts will go a long way as well once you've established a good strength foundation...

For me personally deadlifts went a long way in improving my vert. I added over a foot of vert while adding 40 lb since the end of HS....Other with big verts do squats(including jump squats), deadlifts, olympic lifts, plyometrics(box jumps, depth drops, various hops, etc...)....

most of the improvement will come from strengthening your hips, glutes, lower back, hams, and calves(hence why deadlifts, powercleans, snatches, etc work so well).

I also disagree about some preset genetic limit....if you're <5'8 then yes....it probably aint going to happen because 99.999% can only jump so high and 40-45+ vert is very hard...otherwise the body has an amazing ability to change.........including the composition of the types of muscle fibers...

It can mean "anything" yet you automatically assumed a movement where you lay down? Good job

nooo it can mean anything thats why i asked "how?" i gave an example of how it could not, because i knew some lifting wont help, so i asked which ones, :mad:

Before reading the S&P faq I was about 185 and barely able to dunk. I could only dunk on a very good day. About %80 of the time I could not dunk. Since then I have put on 15 pounds and I can now easily dunk off of a 2 footed jump.

I used to do a lot of calf raises. Barely any leg training. Took me years to get as far as I did.

After I read the faq in S&P and started to do deep heavy squats and deadlifts in only a matter of like 3-4 months I haved added many inches to my vert.

I know plan to eventually work on unilateral leg strength because taht is where I am weakest.

I can dunk and I can barely do 5 burpees in a row out of the air alert program the only thing I did was calf raises. I haven't done calf raises in many months and my vert is inreasing because of the strength training I found in the S&P faq.

Basically what I"m trying to say is get rid of the bullshit, stop looking for an easy answer. You know the answer already. What you need to do is make your legs stronger and more explosive. You accomplish this by doing deep heavy squats.

i would think lots of squats, maybe even deadlifts would be at the fore of this discussion

There is probably more nonsense training information out there when it comes to improving vertical jump than just about anything else.

If you are weak and your max strength sucks then start by improving it to a respectable level. After that, it takes concentrated loading principles to dramatically improve vertical jump. Yes there is obviously a genetic component to vertical jump, but that doesn't mean it can't be dramatically improved with intelligent training. I used to have a lot of respect for Poliquin's advice and input until I actually saw some of his athlete's training programs. If you want to be a bodybuilder Poliquin is great, otherwise his methods are unimpressive to say the least.

Without any question the world's expert on explosive strength development is Dr. Verkhoshansky, the scientist who literally developed what is now known as plyometrics (although what we commonly refer to plyometric is far from it). If you want to learn how to improve your vertical jump, start by reading through everything on his discussion board and buy his latest book. He even answers questions online now as well. I've used variations of his methods with all my athletes with tremendous results, there is no one better in the world when it comes to developing strength and power than Verkhoshansky.

Back