How to improve my;

Scrappy145

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Technique and Form;
Anyone can have good form on the bag...
But what I want to know is how to improve good technique and form in the middle of a fight, or sparring for starters...
Most Amateur fights looks like two monkeys brawling...
What can someone do to improve their composure and form?

Hands Up;
Every gym i've ever been to has told me I have a problem with dropping my hands, bad habit thats hard to break.
It's getting better but keeping your guard up is something you can NEVER work on enough, especially for a shorter fighter such as myself.
Aside from muscle endurance and keeping a conscious effort on not dropping your hands at all, do you guys have any good tips on how to beat this into being part of my fight game?

Footwork;
I know what I need, I need to be able to be quick on my feet so I can move in and out of angles to negate the reach disadvantage I will surely always have. I need to be able to quickly explode into my opponents "pocket" and dart in to get in MY range, not his (Lyoto Machida does both of the previously mentioned techniques very well).I also tend to cross my feet alot.
So I know WHAT i need to work on, the question is HOW.
What are some good drills to perfect my footwork. Push Ups and Sprinting only does so much, I need some ideas to perfect techniques such as footwork/head movement/etc...

Head Movement;
I love using head movement against taller guys in sparring, it's great for avoiding the jabs and getting inside (Tyson is a great example of a fighter that uses this style). Again, I know what I need but I want tips and any drills or ideas you guys have on HOW to improve it, I have a double end bag, but it feels kind of awkward, I take it it's because I dont have enough experience on it, but what other ways can I work on it?

Also, I would appreciate if any drills/tips you have would work for solo training, but partner based training will also do.

sparring on the regular, with composure ofcourse. you get hit in the face enough times, you will learn to keep ur hands up.

doing slip/duck drills with partner, with partner actually trying to hit ur face

Technique and Form;
Anyone can have good form on the bag...
But what I want to know is how to improve good technique and form in the middle of a fight, or sparring for starters...
Most Amateur fights looks like two monkeys brawling...
What can someone do to improve their composure and form?

There's really no substitute for experience. Spar with a personal focus on form and with no concern for whether or not you're winning. You might lose your sparring sessions but you'll get better.

Hands Up;
Every gym i've ever been to has told me I have a problem with dropping my hands, bad habit thats hard to break.
It's getting better but keeping your guard up is something you can NEVER work on enough, especially for a shorter fighter such as myself.
Aside from muscle endurance and keeping a conscious effort on not dropping your hands at all, do you guys have any good tips on how to beat this into being part of my fight game?

Aside from what you've already mentioned, when you drill anything technique wise focus on bringing your hands back to your guard position. When you shadowbox, start slowly and focus on bringing each hand back to guard before throwing the next punch/kick. Also, focus on only throwing punches when your hands are in guard, don't cheat yourself and throw a punch when you've let your guard drop. Start slow and only increase in speed once you remove the mistakes.

Footwork;
I know what I need, I need to be able to be quick on my feet so I can move in and out of angles to negate the reach disadvantage I will surely always have. I need to be able to quickly explode into my opponents "pocket" and dart in to get in MY range, not his (Lyoto Machida does both of the previously mentioned techniques very well).I also tend to cross my feet alot.
So I know WHAT i need to work on, the question is HOW.
What are some good drills to perfect my footwork. Push Ups and Sprinting only does so much, I need some ideas to perfect techniques such as footwork/head movement/etc...

Push ups and sprinting don't do anything for your footwork besides general fitness. The simplest personal drill to start with is an eight direction drill. Starting in your general fighting stance, you can practice moving in any direction by lifting the foot closest to the direction you want to move and pushing off in that direction with the planted foot.

If you want to move forward, lift your front foot and push off with the rear leg. If you want to go backwards, lift the rear leg and push off with the front leg. Left - raise the left leg, push with the right; right - lift the right leg and push with the left. Remember to keep your feet in the same distance when you land.

Then add in general pivoting. If you're pivoting to the left, raise the right leg and rotate 90 degrees on the left leg. When you're pivoting to the right, raise the left leg and pivot 90 degrees on your right leg. Try to ensure that you're actually pivoting with the support leg muscles and not just using the moementum of the moving leg.

Once you can perform the above general movements, starting combining then into multiple movements. Forward, back, left, pivot to the left, right, right, pivot to the right, right, left, etc.

Head Movement;
I love using head movement against taller guys in sparring, it's great for avoiding the jabs and getting inside (Tyson is a great example of a fighter that uses this style). Again, I know what I need but I want tips and any drills or ideas you guys have on HOW to improve it, I have a double end bag, but it feels kind of awkward, I take it it's because I dont have enough experience on it, but what other ways can I work on it?

If you don't have any equipment to work with, here's my suggestion. Returning to the footwork drill: Add in some bit of head movement with every step. when you're stepping to the left, include a bob or a slip with the foot movement. Do the same going right. Include a lean off-center or backwards when stepping backwards. Lean off-center when coming forward. Bob and weave when pivoting. Get to the point where you never step without shifting your upper body in some manner.

Also, I would appreciate if any drills/tips you have would work for solo training, but partner based training will also do.

All the stuff I suggested is for solo training. After while, you should be able to move, punch with your guard in good shape, and work you upper body movement at the same time. Then hopefully, it becomes second nature while you're sparring and then fighting.

Partner drills are easier and I'll leave that to others. You can also take everything in the solo drill and ask your partner to try and hit you while you focus on perfecting foot work and head movement. When you spar, give points when the other guy lets his guard down. Who ever has the most points buys the drinks, food, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back