How to improve my training routine

lildudespider

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys i'm new here and i've heard abotu your forums so i was wonderign if you guys have any advice on how to improve my workout routine, and maybe point me at some martial arts styles etc that would also improve it

right now i walk 40 minutes a day home from college, i will jog from one street crossing to the next, and then rest the next. this is done while wearing a backpack with a textbook and a coat isndie, is this bad?

when i get home i proceed to take off the backpack and go straight to diamond pushups. i've been doing diamonds eith my feet up on my bed, about 2 feet up and i do 35 right now, i try for 5 more reps each day. what would be a nice transition from these diamonds to a slightly harder excersize.

after the diamonds i do bicep curls with my 35 lb barbell, 12-14 reps. what's the best way to develop muscle with one of these, i sometimes do standign curls, soemtimes sitting with my arm against my leg

after the curls i hang my barbell on my fingers on one hand and do finger curls for forearm strength, i do 25 reps usually. is there a better excersize, and would i benefit from more weight.

after this i do crunches (50), i try to do 5 more each day.

after crunches i do leg raises, i raise my knees to my chest whiel layign on my hands, then lower my knees to a layign position with my legs an inch off the ground then repeat 20 + times. is there a better excersize for this

after this i'm sweating pretty well, and i seem to be losing weight at a steady pace

leave comments and tips for how to improve this routine, i really need some excersizes to tune my hips and twisting power.

also what sorts of martial arts are very active for weight loss and muscle gain, i've been looking at muay thai and brazillian jiu jitsu.

Edit:

i read that running before working out is not beneficial, any response to that?

Last edited:
Your routine sounds pretty good. There could be some minor points you could improve. Did you read it somewhere or did you design it yourself?

Russian twists with a medicine ball, or any similar weight, would work on developing your hips.

I can speak form a muay thai perspective that you'll cut fat from training and tone up rather quickly, but bodyweight exercises done during training will only produce limited results. To build muscle and develop overall strength you should definitely hit up a gym and go with deadlifts, squats, bench etc.

Russian twists with a medicine ball, or any similar weight, would work on developing your hips.

I can speak form a muay thai perspective that you'll cut fat from training and tone up rather quickly, but bodyweight exercises done during training will only produce limited results. To build muscle and develop overall strength you should definitely hit up a gym and go with deadlifts, squats, bench etc.

shhh....dont reveal all of our tricks of the trade.

Also whatever you do TS, dont read the FAQ. No useful information there whatsoever.

On a more serious note if you got no access to a gym or have limited equipment, look into rosstraining.com for bodyweight training ideas to do burpees, pull ups, dips, push ups, mountain climbers,......... (sounds like u got a DB) so then u can also do swings, cleans, snatches, etc....although all these methods will mostly produce a good level of fitness/endurance but not so much in power or strength...

How did you develop such a great routine?

So if you add 5 crunches a day and you're on 50 you've been doing this routine for less than 10 days, and already such results?! You should start writing regularly so we can learn your secrets.

Back