How to hit the posterior chain effectively without Backsquat?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by SurvivorOfBDS, Oct 12, 2013.

1. SurvivorOfBDS

SurvivorOfBDS White Belt

I'm transitioning into my home gym from a public gym due to not having enough money for the fee's and gas spent. I know theres no real 'replacement' for a backsquat, but due to not having a cage or bench I'm limited to light weight high rep action at the moment for squats. I can do front squats fairly heavy compared to back squat, but from what I've heard it doesn't hit the posterior chain as much as I should be.

What should I do on top of high rep back squats to gain strength?

I'm thinking focusing on front squatting each session, and alternating between high rep back squats, and heavy RLDL. Would that be a good way to get around it? Advice? Please.

2. magick

magick Green Belt

Sumo deadlifts

3. Gfreak

Gfreak Purple Belt

good mornings, RDL's, stiff leg DL's, deficite dl's, snatch grip DL's, GHR (home made set up you could probably rig), and barbell hip thrusts would all work well.

4. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Homemade squat stands. Problem solved.

[​IMG]

5. SurvivorOfBDS

SurvivorOfBDS White Belt

LOL. Thats awesome. I'll make that a to-do. but I also have limited space, so I'll have to do a bit of measuring before i commit to something

6. SurvivorOfBDS

SurvivorOfBDS White Belt

Also, a secondary question.. I have a standard bar right now not an oly bar. Will this in any way hinder my workouts?

7. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Well, it's a poor quality bar that won't be able to hold as much weight. So, if not now, eventually.

8. Oldknees

Oldknees White Belt

this is great...necessity really is the mother of invention

9. Bloodhy

Bloodhy Blue Belt

I'd do this as well

10. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

This is awesome, thanks for sharing it. So simple, so effective.

11. SurvivorOfBDS

SurvivorOfBDS White Belt

I dont plan on going much over 300lbs anytime soon, but I may just consider buying a whole new set. I don't have much weight right now anyway. I see too many varied opinions and results for me to feel comfortable with it once I get heavy on a deadlift. Anyone know any stores off the top of their head with good deals for oly bars+weights?

12. KotovSyndrome

KotovSyndrome Blue Belt

+ Zercher Squats and Olympic Pulls

If you deadlift, you do plenty of work for your posterior chain.
    Get creative. If you are limited by weight available, try some unilateral exercises for hitting up the back end.
    And I wouldn't put my hand in a fire for it, but I think front squats provide enough stimulus for hamstrings and glutes.

13. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

You can keep your eyes open for a second hand barbell and weight set on Kijiji or something. If I was buying new, I'd probably buy from Rogue fitness, because if you live close enough to one of their warehouses that you can pick up your order yourself, you can avoid paying shipping.

14. raptorjesus29

raptorjesus29 Green Belt

If this is the route you choose, make sure to do some volume with the deadlift and not just a single set.

Glutes maybe, hamstrings absolutely not.

I would also recommend saving up for a quality barbell over a junk barbell. You will be much, much happier in the long run.

15. KotovSyndrome

KotovSyndrome Blue Belt

I have the slight memory of some study cited in an article that says FS are equal to BS in hamstring activation. Could be completely wrong, will try to find it though.

16. SurvivorOfBDS

SurvivorOfBDS White Belt

deadlifts are my favorite exercise, so I plan on doing at least 3 sets of them. I always felt while doing SS that I wasn't deadlifting as much as I was capable of.

17. aus101

aus101 Black Belt

I had the same feeling on SS.
    Dropped squats after about 8 months of training due to knee issues (caused prior to lifting). Should probably get it repaired but went through a shoulder recon recently and cbf dealing with that shit ATM. Anyway from dropping heavy squats from my routine mainly my quads (and hams too) were effected. Kept deadlifting heavy (didn't want knee to get so bad I couldn't deadlift being the reason I cut squats) and the posterior chain has kept gaining. I do light bb style hack squat, leg press, lying ham curls but yeah my quad and hams def felt the lack of heavy squatting hard. At least deads kept my glutes from shrinking tho lol.

18. raptorjesus29

raptorjesus29 Green Belt

The positions you get into in a FS compared to a BS dictate that the BS will use more hamstring.

That is a definite downside to squatting before deadlifts, along with your legs feeling like they were run over by a truck.

19. KotovSyndrome

KotovSyndrome Blue Belt

I know that seems right, maybe I have just remembered something wrong.

20. aries

aries Silver Belt

I can honestly say that I've never felt anything in my hammies from doing a FS but had really sore glutes on occasion. I don't see how it's possible to get your hammies involved during a FS because there is literally no noticeable tension on the hammies at all.