How to go out from closed guard?

Italianissimo

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
How do you face up a guy who has the strategy to pull guard and closing the guard? From inside the guard problems may come, if he is an expert in this kind of guard..

So you don't find passing the guard to be a viable strategy to beating a closed guard player?

The problem is avoiding him to pull and close the guard

I think the point he's making is liked it's like trying to avoid punches in boxing.

The answer is passing the guard and that takes years of dedication.

I recommend just practicing standing passes. Once you have a feel for it start using those passes while your opponent pulls. If he gets closed guard stand up in guard and try again.

If you really want to make sure he can't get you in closed, you could always pull first.

Do you start from standing on your knees.?

Grab his pants and do not let closed his guard.

If he managed to close his guard which is no big deal.

I break the closed guard standing.

Worst case scenario, I get swept.

If I try to break the closed guard on my knees, I risk to get swept but also submitted.

Tsukkomi jime! Those legs will open right up.

(don't listen to me)

if they pull guard, make sure you don't follow them by putting both of your knees down. always keep a knee up, that way it's difficult to close the guard. also, try to keep standing and work on standing passes.

if they jump guard, back away and again, bring your knee up before they can close it. check out some of rodolfo's matches. when people try to jump guard on him, he often counters by just moving his hips backwards and bringing his knee up, so they end up falling to the mat with him already halfway in the kneeslide.

those are preventive actions. once they actually close the guard, you'll just have to open and pass it. it's all a part of the game.

Keenan's hip heist pass has been working great for me..

My advice, do some research on some new techniques. YouTube shouldn't be your instructor..but it's a great resource. Find a technique, ask your coach about it..and practice it..over..and over..and over. Then ask your coach about it again..and practice it..over..and over..and over..then try it in rolling..over..and over..and over..(see a pattern here? Haha).

What I do is when I feel someone purposefully trying to pull me into their gaurd I will choose one of their legs and staple/pin it down with my leg on the same side. This will prevent them from being able to close their gaurd. I'll usually have to battle their half gaurd from there but it's a much easier fight than breaking and passing full gaurd.

Back