How to get the burn going in your chest?

Niels

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I somehow never seem to be able to get that burning feeling that i can easily get in my biceps, in my chest.

I only have freeweights to my disposal and i now do benchpress, incline benchpress, dumbell bencpress, incline dumbell benchpress and fly’s.

My shoulders give out before my chest does on the benchpress (yes i do press them back into the bench)

Any tips or other exercises i can do?

You need to keep tension on the target muscle. To do this, you have to make sure that the muscle in question is actually doing the work. This may involve changing many things, but the first thing is the mindset: ''I'm working my pecs'' instead of ''I'm moving weight.'' You can do as many different exercises as you like, but if you're recruiting a bunch of auxilliary muscles to do the work, and not putting tension on the target muscle, it wont grow all that much.

There are lots of IFBB guys on social media sharing tips on this sort of thing. Example:

Work on the brain/body connection. Consciously try to contract your muscles without weight. You can do that anywhere and it will prime your body to have a better feel when you do your strength training with weights.

Doing something like isometrics can help too. Put your hands out in front of you like how you could for a pec deck or dumbbell flys and push against your own hands.
You can do the various ranges of motion if you push against a wall one arm at a time, isolating each pec that way. You position at three ranges of motion (beginning, mid range, almost lock out). Doing a bench press type of motion against a wall will work in the same manner.

Another way is to go with less weights and super slow reps.

You need to keep tension on the target muscle. To do this, you have to make sure that the muscle in question is actually doing the work. This may involve changing many things, but the first thing is the mindset: ''I'm working my pecs'' instead of ''I'm moving weight.'' You can do as many different exercises as you like, but if you're recruiting a bunch of auxilliary muscles to do the work, and not putting tension on the target muscle, it wont grow all that much.

There are lots of IFBB guys on social media sharing tips on this sort of thing. Example:

How are a bunch of steroids users going to help him? Its whole different ball game

How are a bunch of steroids users going to help him? Its whole different ball game

The arguments that Ben makes are mechanical ones. They concern how performing the movement will mechanically stress your muslces. That's not affected by steroids at all. If I put more stretch on a muscle, for example, that's both correlated with growth, and has nothing to do with my hormone profile. Mechanical stress is mechanical stress, and you want to be able to control where it goes and how much of it you're producing.

push ups on rings give me the best activation in the pecs. hands touching at the extension.

dumbbell bench is also great for bringing the hands close and getting a good stretch.

Some pretty solid advice so far. It has a lot to do with with shoulder and hand position as well. As corpse mentioned, bringing your hands together at the end of the movement helps activate the pecs, same with having your elbows a little closer to your chest. That's what the pecs do broadly speaking.

Another thing is using isometrics, that's a good way to really feel that tension and get used to the feeling. On the bench, try using pauses at different ranges of motion, activating your pecs and find out where they tense the most.

I somehow never seem to be able to get that burning feeling that i can easily get in my biceps, in my chest.

I only have freeweights to my disposal and i now do benchpress, incline benchpress, dumbell bencpress, incline dumbell benchpress and fly’s.

My shoulders give out before my chest does on the benchpress (yes i do press them back into the bench)

Any tips or other exercises i can do?

Try Dumbbell Hex Press. Make sure to really squeeze the dumbbells against each other; it's best done with hexagonal DB's, hence the name.

push ups on rings give me the best activation in the pecs. hands touching at the extension.

I have no interest in "the burn" in my chest, and expected this whole thread to be terrible. However, I have rings and it never really occurred to me to use them for pushups. Thanks!

Try the old 5, 10, 20 protocol if you really want to build mass and feel a burn in your chest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better yet, try isometric eccentrics. In short, you lower the weight slower and pause at the bottom for 3 seconds, and explosively lift the weight. It is used in physical therapy settings a lot and a few strength coaches are starting to use it to make their athletes resistant to injury

I have no interest in "the burn" in my chest, and expected this whole thread to be terrible. However, I have rings and it never really occurred to me to use them for pushups. Thanks!
What’s terrible about people giving tips and advice?

I am following a metabolic training protocol right now from Juggernaut system. I build it myself from their vids on youtube.

Trying their sandwich - incline bench, peck deck, bench with dumbells gives me a good burn. I basically do them in a tri set with low weight.

active them with flys before your workout starts -- just light weight for sets of 30. Then do power work like floor press. Then go into hypertrophy workouts. Then before you go to bed, bang out 100 pushups.

Remember, for the pump - you need to control the weight, not lift it

Back