1. Non Gif Shoop Contest v6 Round 2 is up! Vote Here»

How to Get Ready for A Private Lesson (Article and Worksheet)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jaysculls, Mar 11, 2008.

1. jaysculls Purple Belt

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. TacWar Green Belt

so JSculls...can you get me a job just writing kick ass articles? b/c college is getting boring.... great article as usual... but do you feel the pressure now to not post a bad article b/c we the peasants will rebel against you? Be afraid... be very afraid.

3. Jay

I need a 6 figure job in the ct area so I can out from behind the desk. any ideas?

PJM

4. jaysculls Purple Belt

Thanks...Nah no pressure here man.

5. jaysculls Purple Belt

up for those who might need some guidance in regards to how to get ready for a future private lesson.

6. HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

Thank you for this. I will soon be taking more privates because my new job takes me out of town a lot and I want to make up for lost time.

Your article also makes me extremely disappointed I missed Stutzman's seminar when he was here in Halifax.

7. jaysculls Purple Belt

You're welcome. Next time you get a chance to learn from John Stutzman make sure you do.

8. Benicio88 Orange Belt

nice read, I do an open mat session every week and it's usually just me and a senior guy. This will help make those sessions more productive.

9. fighterforlife Red Belt

I am looking for guidance, my boy is 13 and has been training for 1 year. He does privates with Rani. He's done 26 (1hr) sessions during this year and right now we are once a week. Rani taught my son's very first class so he's had a chance to mold him from ground zero. Some people have told me that privates are a waste of money unless you are a purple belt at least. I say humbug, if you have a chance to train one on one with a guy like Rani, you do it, especially when he works so well with Spencer.
    First, your thoughts on this please?.

Additionally, Spencer is no where near prepared as you suggest in your article. Any suggestions on tips for a 13 year old? I am thinking your article is beyond him.

Heres' a link to his videos if you want to see his tournaments.

http://fighter4life.proelite.com/card

Thanks in advance

10. jaysculls Purple Belt

fighterforlife,

In this situation where someone takes privates over and over on a regular basis it starts getting much harder to be prepared in regards to questions to ask and so forth. The reason for this is because the private sessions after a while start to turn into one on one classes.

Is your son still training in the regular classes? If so, he should take notes after each class with questions that he might have to ask Rani when the private session comes up for the week.

Any questions he can think of he should write down. If during class he gets caught in something he should try to remember it right away and then write down a question related to it.

The best way to take advantage of a private session is to have questions about situations and problems you are currently experiencing so then the instructor can fix the issue or build off of what you are doing.

Or if your son is having trouble hitting something, he should write it down so he can as Rani about it.

When you start to take a lot of privates it starts to be run just like a regular class where the instructor just shows what comes to mind on that day and may not directly reflect on what the student should actually be learning at the moment.

Private sessions should be specific and should never turn general. There should also be a flow where the student is asking questions about things they need to fix or improvement up and and where the instructor is building off of weaker areas that they see the student experiencing.

Hope that helps a little.

11. flashNsmash when it rains...

another great article, thanks for continuing to post these here jay

12. fighterforlife Red Belt

Thank you for your response. He trains regularly. Rani's class is no gi, but his privates have been in gi since he has ran into trouble in his first couple of orange belt tournaments. Rani analyzes the videos to determine the next course of action. He also trains Gi with Roger Defreitas 3 times a week. Once a month or so he gets to train with Margarida. Do you think his brain is getting overloaded? He loves to train and never wants to miss a class. Is there such a thing as training too much? I have allowed him to go as much as he wants. My thinking being, he's getting to roll with a lot of different people, mostly blue belt adults. He's got privates on every Weds, so I'll let him read your article after school today before his class. We'll start taking a notebook to class. I think that is a very good idea for him. Thanks again for your advice.

13. richardle Orange Belt

26 private lessons?!?! That is baller. Will you be my daddy?

14. jaysculls Purple Belt

As long as he is still enjoying training and not being forced or forcing himself to go then he's fine and can train that much.

15. HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

I was out with an injury. I met him briefly as he was preparing for his fight and he seems like a nice guy. I hope they bring him back.

16. jaysculls Purple Belt

I'm bumping this thread for someone who was asking about private lesson tips.

17. MDATT White Belt

thanks, i was looking into getting a lesson and this gave me some good info to think about and get alot more out of the session.

18. Gfreak Purple Belt

Yea good tips, but holy shit necro o_O

MDATT, this and that other thread are 2-3 years old -_- seriously...lol