How to get more confident/handle pre fight nerves?

Spar first without head gear before you have a fight bro. No good going into the ring with only experience of fighting with gear on. Ive been doing kickboxing since 2008, haven't had a fight yet, but sparring with only Shin pads an Gloves (No head gear) is really good.

This is a horrible idea.

I've been kickboxing and boxing for thirteen years (ten competitively) and I know from experience that sparring regularly without a headgear is really dumb.

Get a full faced headgear and get in more rounds. Without a headgear, you are only going to get so many in before you or your training partner gets hurt. With a headgear, you can get in double, triple, quadruple the amount of round without risking as much injury.

TS, don't listen to someone who has been training less than two years.

I've had my nose broke repeatedly, my teeth knocked out and scars from stitching around my occipital bone and, after every injury, I immediately had to stop training for a while to recover while my partners could keep going and improving.

Oh, and Pac-Man wears a full faced helmet still to this day when he spars.

As for your experience level, you have had sixteen total matches ever. That's not enough. You should be fighting in as many tournaments/bouts as you can. You live in the UK so that puts you on the European circuit for WAKO, ISKA and WKA. All of those organizations are dominated by the Russians... why, because when they show up to a world championship, they have hundreds of bouts, not a dozen.

Good luck. You're just getting started. Get some real experience and things will fall into place.

This is a horrible idea.

I've been kickboxing and boxing for thirteen years (ten competitively) and I know from experience that sparring regularly without a headgear is really dumb.

Get a full faced headgear and get in more rounds. Without a headgear, you are only going to get so many in before you or your training partner gets hurt. With a headgear, you can get in double, triple, quadruple the amount of round without risking as much injury.

I've had my nose broke repeatedly, my teeth knocked out and scars from stitching around my occipital bone and, after every injury, I immediately had to stop training for a while to recover while my partners could keep going and improving.

As for your experience level, you have had sixteen total matches ever. That's not enough. You should be fighting in as many tournaments/bouts as you can. You live in the UK so that puts you on the European circuit for WAKO, ISKA and WKA. All of those organizations are dominated by the Russians... why, because when they show up to a world championship, they have hundreds of bouts, not a dozen.

Good luck. You're just getting started. Get some real experience and things will fall into place.

How on earth is he meant to go into a fight without head gear confident if he hasn't even had a sparring session without gear on?

And Manny Pacquiao has nothing to do with this, the TS is asking how to get more confident, not if some pro boxer still wears head gear.

Last edited:
This is a horrible idea.

^ Well said.

LOL really you dont go 90-100 percent in a fight? well i guess that explains your non existent fight career then

Allright i'll explain it to you once , so your slow witted head can mull over it for a bit.

The reason you dont go all out in a fight is cuz first of all you'll get gassed in 2 minutes. Doesnt matter what your cardio is ...you will gas. Just like you cannot sprint forever, same concept.
Secondly , u telegraph everything.
Why do u think pros/experienced guys look so smooth ? Its cuz they never throw everything all out. Maybe if u got the guy hurt and you're trying to finish. Other than that ...no.
Flow is most important. Even more so than speed or power. As hard as you think that pro hits , he could hit a lot harder if he threw it 100%. But he wont. See "Mawashi Geri Hoost" where Ernesto talks about the same concept. That should teach you to shut the fuck up next time and be more respectfull.
Think of it like a mile race. Do u think that guy tries to go all out ? Here n there ...yeah but rythm n flow are what counts.
While you try throw everything hard , a guy like me would just cover or counter and smack you back with 3-5 quick 80% hits. I might just throw in one 90-95% every now n then when i know i got you positioned perfectly.
From your answer/style i can guess you're not very experienced. Even if you've ever competed im sure you're one of those guys thats huffing through his mouthpiece in round 2 , throwing sloppy , tired shots.
No harm. We all were there once.
I dont expect this to make much sense to you now. If you're skilled/train a while , it will come naturally to you. Your game will take a huge step foward.
The terms "Dont chase the knockout" will make sense then.

not if some pro boxer still wears head gear.

It doesnt work like that fool. After a headgear , without is a fucking walk in the park.
I bet you never wear one cuz you're always trying to "win" your sparring session and are not willing to take a step back to take 2 foward.

It doesnt work like that fool. After a headgear , without is a fucking walk in the park.
I bet you never wear one cuz you're always trying to "win" your sparring session and are not willing to take a step back to take 2 foward.

I disagree ''Fool'', I think its better to spar without head gear, My trainer doesn't want us to use head gear either, And i'm going to listen to someone with 90-100 fights of experience then someone on sherdog calling me a fool, an no i don't try 'win' in my sparring sessions, don't be stupid.

I disagree ''Fool'', I think its better to spar without head gear, My trainer doesn't want us to use head gear either, And i'm going to listen to someone with 90-100 fights of experience then someone on sherdog calling me a fool, an no i don't try 'win' in my sparring sessions, don't be stupid.

I spar without headgear a lot but when preparing for a fight I always use headgear. Mostly because im an amateur so I'll be using headgear during the fight, so better get used to it and also because the risk of getting cut during training is much higher without headgear. There's a good reason why almost every pro fighter out there spars with headgear on.

Last edited:

Whats his experience in ....point fighting ?

i've yet to meet a trainer worth his salt say "Dont spar with headgear".

How on earth is he meant to go into a fight without head gear confident if he hasn't even had a sparring session without gear on?

And Manny Pacquiao has nothing to do with this, the TS is asking how to get more confident, not if some pro boxer still wears head gear.

For starters... the WKA, WAKO an ISKA events ALL MAKE YOU WEAR HEADGEAR!

Other than that... all you got out of that was "some pro boxer!?" Wow.

Good luck with your career bro. You obviously are as novice as it gets.

For starters... the WKA, WAKO an ISKA events ALL MAKE YOU WEAR HEADGEAR!

Other than that... all you got out of that was "some pro boxer!?" Wow.

Good luck with your career bro. You obviously are as novice as it gets.

Your an idiot, read the topic, He asks how to be more confident because he is starting to have fights without headgear

Whats his experience in ....point fighting ?

i've yet to meet a trainer worth his salt say "Dont spar with headgear".

No, Cambodian Kickboxing

And don't go on saying 'he has no idea what hes doing', Because no gyms in new zealand (That i know of) spar with headgear on.

DylanMarx;39923957]
And don't go on saying 'he has no idea what hes doing', Because no gyms in new zealand (That i know of) spar with headgear on

Then u probably dont know of much.

:icon_lol:

seriously , Pradal Seray in NZ ? Talk about gimmicks !
You ever been to Cambodia ? Not the brightest bulbs around. I know they dont use headgear. Hell, if somebody said no mouthguard and nutcup , they'll do that too.
Not the most scientific bunch.

BTW let me guess , you > 20 right ?

Your an idiot, read the topic, He asks how to be more confident because he is starting to have fights without headgear

Confidence comes from knowing what you are doing. More rounds means more confidence. It's an experience thing. You'll figure it out and hopefully before someone gives you permanent brain damage.

It's funny, a friend of mine just had to retire because of years of training without a headgear and competing with a 'go forward and bang' mentality.

People only see the successful fighters on the UFC. have you ever asked yourself what happens to the guy that so-and-so knocked out eight or nine fights ago? How come he isn't fighting anymore? It's because his doctor can't legally give him clearance to fight again. Otherwise you get what happened to the guy in South Carolina last week. Some doctor cleared him and he died after his bout. He shouldn't have been in there in the first place.

After ten years I can honestly say that every single person I have seen train without a headgear on a regular basis is not training anymore. I still am.

TS, I hope that you use common sense. Get more fighting experience, not more reckless in your training.

Not without a headgear, without a FACE SHIELD ON HIS HEADGEAR YOU IDIOT!!!

Wow. You're a barrel of monkeys to have a conversation with. Maybe you already have trauma and scar tissue around the reading comprehension area of the brain.

Lol. I like you DylanMarx. You are a great reminder as to why I always have and always will wear a headgear when I spar. Thanks dude. Happy trails.

Not without a headgear, without a FACE SHIELD ON HIS HEADGEAR YOU IDIOT!!!

Wow. You're a barrel of monkeys to have a conversation with. Maybe you already have trauma and scar tissue around the reading comprehension area of the brain.

Lol. I like you DylanMarx. You are a great reminder as to why I always have and always will wear a headgear when I spar. Thanks dude. Happy trails.

^ :icon_lol:

Leave him be. Let the lil idiot think he's hardcore by sparring without a headgear.
Seriously , you need to check out all the wacky 40year old in Thailand. Thats what happens after a 150+ fights of getting hit in the head.
Sure , we dont fight as much but we spar a lot harder....same thing.

However i must say that im pretty lazy about putting on headgear myself :redface:
Usually if my opp has one then i might just skip it (ones good enough to prevent head clash cuts....its main purpose).
In my defense though , i rarely get hit in the head clean because of my height/high guard/footwork/movement/jab.
If i feel slow,not motivated,important sparring session then on it goes.
Still , to NEVER use headgear is stupidity.

Allright i'll explain it to you once , so your slow witted head can mull over it for a bit.

The reason you dont go all out in a fight is cuz first of all you'll get gassed in 2 minutes. Doesnt matter what your cardio is ...you will gas. Just like you cannot sprint forever, same concept.
Secondly , u telegraph everything.
Why do u think pros/experienced guys look so smooth ? Its cuz they never throw everything all out. Maybe if u got the guy hurt and you're trying to finish. Other than that ...no.
Flow is most important. Even more so than speed or power. As hard as you think that pro hits , he could hit a lot harder if he threw it 100%. But he wont. See "Mawashi Geri Hoost" where Ernesto talks about the same concept. That should teach you to shut the fuck up next time and be more respectfull.
Think of it like a mile race. Do u think that guy tries to go all out ? Here n there ...yeah but rythm n flow are what counts.
While you try throw everything hard , a guy like me would just cover or counter and smack you back with 3-5 quick 80% hits. I might just throw in one 90-95% every now n then when i know i got you positioned perfectly.
From your answer/style i can guess you're not very experienced. Even if you've ever competed im sure you're one of those guys thats huffing through his mouthpiece in round 2 , throwing sloppy , tired shots.
No harm. We all were there once.
I dont expect this to make much sense to you now. If you're skilled/train a while , it will come naturally to you. Your game will take a huge step foward.
The terms "Dont chase the knockout" will make sense then.

Blah blah blah 90-100 percent doesn't mean you are going 90-100 percent the whole fight. You can go 90-100 percent with small attacks and then circle. That's what pacing is all about. I don't know too many people that don't go 90-100 percent in there fights hahaha. again that explains your non existent career

Blah blah blah 90-100 percent doesn't mean you are going 90-100 percent the whole fight. You can go 90-100 percent with small attacks and then circle. That's what pacing is all about. I don't know too many people that don't go 90-100 percent in there fights hahaha. again that explains your non existent career

ok...i guess you know a lot more that some seasoned pros.

:rolleyes:

^ :icon_lol:

Leave him be. Let the lil idiot think he's hardcore by sparring without a headgear.
Seriously , you need to check out all the wacky 40year old in Thailand. Thats what happens after a 150+ fights of getting hit in the head.
Sure , we dont fight as much but we spar a lot harder....same thing.

However i must say that im pretty lazy about putting on headgear myself :redface:
Usually if my opp has one then i might just skip it (ones good enough to prevent head clash cuts....its main purpose).
In my defense though , i rarely get hit in the head clean because of my height/high guard/footwork/movement/jab.
If i feel slow,not motivated,important sparring session then on it goes.
Still , to NEVER use headgear is stupidity.

Lol, Really .. Calm down, I have my opinion an you have yours. I don't think im 'hardcore'. But whatever can't expect much from people on this site, calling people idiots lol.

Back