How to get "ILL" cardio

The original name of this kind of cardio work out is called High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

It's been around for a long time

Plutoburn said:
The original name of this kind of cardio work out is called High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

It's been around for a long time

yeah, until people started giving it stupid names like "guerilla cardio"

every top fighter incorporates both sprints and higher volume moderate intensity cardio. people really need to stop suggesting that intervals are alll you need. thats complete bullshit

Aerts/Mir33 said:
every top fighter incorporates both sprints and higher volume moderate intensity cardio. people really need to stop suggesting that intervals are alll you need. thats complete bullshit
Bro you are exactly right but you will not be able to convince even 1 that just doing interval training isnt going to get them into fighting shape. I am actually thinking of making up a name with some fake credentials on a fake MMA site and drawing up a absurd conditioning routine and see if any of the "smart" fellows on here start following it touting its proven effectiveness and how doctor so and so said it worked so it must.

Boomstick said:
Bro you are exactly right but you will not be able to convince even 1 that just doing interval training isnt going to get them into fighting shape. I am actually thinking of making up a name with some fake credentials on a fake MMA site and drawing up a absurd conditioning routine and see if any of the "smart" fellows on here start following it touting its proven effectiveness and how doctor so and so said it worked so it must.

we dont interval train because "doctor so and so" said its effective, we do it because the fact is in a fight youre in the anaerobic heart range, so thats where you need to train

I'm starting to like mayhem especially since he's pretty funny now that I think about it.

wenispinkle said:
we dont interval train because "doctor so and so" said its effective, we do it because the fact is in a fight youre in the anaerobic heart range, so thats where you need to train
I agree with you on fighting in your anearobic heart zone but the training to get the astamina an be done in more effective ways that build both the aerobic and the anearobic stamina.
Would you say most MMA athletes use some sort of Interval training without distance running or very little distance running? If yes then why do 99% of the MMA athletes gas after 1 min of standup if it is so effective.

Boomstick said:

haha...

good idea dude...

bottom line is this: you can't get good anaerobic conditioning without a good aerobic base. never speeding it up will kill you, as will only sprinting...

it's common sense guys come on...

you gotta mix it up...

what is more like a fight? sprinting...

if you just sprint will you get good cardio? fucking no damnit snot bitch cunt ass hell af;lsdkfjsfl;skfjs;lfksf;alfslsahfasdo;wuopijhvo;qwaslvmop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

PWND!

seriously, without a good aerobic system, you won't be able to fight period!

Boomstick said:
I agree with you on fighting in your anearobic heart zone but the training to get the astamina an be done in more effective ways that build both the aerobic and the anearobic stamina.
Would you say most MMA athletes use some sort of Interval training without distance running or very little distance running? If yes then why do 99% of the MMA athletes gas after 1 min of standup if it is so effective.

Well.. one big reason is because when you first grapple on the ground and do a lot of "pulling" and then sudenly stand up and do explosive striking, it quite frankly sucks the wind out of you, much more eficiently than straight grappling or striking.

Personaly I do both explosive sessions mixed with longer distances. For me I only run longer than 6km about every third week, to check how my times are in 10-20km runs.
And I definitively value my anaerobic sesions most, especialy when it comes to mma.

grappling and takedowns and power movements like that will definitely sap your strength fast. for that, you need good anaerobic conditioning. but you have to have an above average aerobic base for that anaerobic system to get any better...

mma isn't only fast burst sessions followed by complete rest...

it's a burst, then steady state activity, then a burst of energy that is longer than the first one, then 3 seconds or 10 seconds of rest in the guard, then steady state activity for a few seconds, then burst.......

it's not all anaerobic man...

Cant do anything but agree Polynikes!:) But my response to that you have to have above average aerobic base is that we are mma fighters, not -average men-!;) In all physical aspects we have to be way above average. But if I would have to choose just one physical aspect for mma fighting I would propably choose anaerobic conditioning, closely followed by power, aerobic conditioning, muscular endurance and balance. Well and a bunch of other stuff. But anybody that feels that aerobic conditioning isnt important for a fighter raiser your hand? Or how about anaerobic? Hopefully we dont se any raised hands in here..

Im just realising that im rambling. Need to sleep... Peace dudes..

Boomstick said:

im not saying you dont need aerobic training too....just that anaerobic is also very important.

guess we should all start running fartleks......actually i did a 30 minute fartlek on the heavybag a few days ago and it was pretty good

wenispinkle said:
im not saying you dont need aerobic training too....just that anaerobic is also very important.

guess we should all start running fartleks......actually i did a 30 minute fartlek on the heavybag a few days ago and it was pretty good
Anearobic and Aerobic are equally important in any combat sport plain and simple you cannot have one without the other and expect to be able to fight for extended periods of time with times of steady activty and times of explosive activity.
the biggest advantage I see in having great aerobic stamina is if you do it right your steady pace will be much higher than most peoples steady pace and your body will recover much faster than someone who trains to go hard for 30 seconds then slow down. You can see this in a lot of MMA fighters they will explode out of the gate and unless they knock their guy out they are spent energy wise and need a break and this in my mind is do to the fatc they only train to build an anearobic base. this is like building a house with 4 foot think walls and a cardboard foundation-pretty soon it is going to get blown away

fartleks are great...

do them with weights and you'll be surpised too...

but i wouldn't do them with weights too often, b/c it will tear your whole body down and sap energy that could be better spent sparring, on the mat, doing drills....

i like to mix both. Ie, 400m intervals with 1min rest for a total of 15ish minutes, repeated hill sprints, wind sprints for 2-3 miles. that kinda stuff trains both systems.

that is basically as scientific as anyone needs at the low level pro or amature level. good post

Aerts/Mir33 said:

How many MMA fights have you been in? Mayhem fought 3 hard rounds against GSP and didn't gas at all. I think with a proper training routine (striking/grappling/weights) mixed with HIIT is perfect for fighting.

Hahaha that was funny shit, and good info as well, GC ROCKS!

Back