How To Get Gum Off Of Fabric?

Stump

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I went to sleep 2 nights ago. No surprise there, I suppose. I was with a lady friend, and we had been watching a movie in bed. She was chewing gum. Before we went to sleep, she elected to put her wad of gum on top of an old receipt that was sitting on my window ledge, above my bed.

Earlier, I bet her she couldn't chew the remaining half pack of her gum. She could. So the wad of gum was huge.

At some point in the night, we must have managed to knock the gum off of the ledge. When we woke up, it was fucking everywhere.

Like, EVERYWHERE. Somehow, not in our hair, thankfully. But my new christmas gift duvet, sheets, pillow cases, a pair of pants and a shirt that I left, folded at the foot of my bed - all are covered in gum. Lots of it.

I've tried freezing a pair of pants, but the gum just isnt coming off. It was made very melty by our body heat, and so its fuckin' in the fabric pretty good.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd be quite fucked if this stuff was all ruined. I'd be back down to owning a single pair of pants, for one thing.

Anyone have anything for me? I've heard WD-40 works well for this task, but I also know it would stain the fabric... shit.

Upside down bottle of canned air. Spray on to freeze it, scrape off with butter knife. You may be able to get gum remover at officemax/depot that does the same thing.

Edit:what did you try to freeze it with?

Get brown paper (brown paper bag) and put it over the area with the gum, then iron this area and the gum will stick to the paper and remove itself from the fabric.

Get brown paper (brown paper bag) and put it over the area with the gum, then iron this area and the gum will stick to the paper and remove itself from the fabric.

Be very careful if you try this. I own a carpet/upholstery cleaning company and I see people burn stuff all the time with this method.

Upside down bottle of canned air. Spray on to freeze it, scrape off with butter knife. You may be able to get gum remover at officemax/depot that does the same thing.

Edit:what did you try to freeze it with?

Recently we bought a deep-freeze, so I just folded the pants so that the gum was all facing out, threw them into the deepfreeze and forgot about it for a few hours.

The gum was definitely frozen, and I tried to use a butter knife to remove it, but it is seriously embedded in the fabric, and even frozen I can only manage to barely take a bit off of the top.

Peanut butter, then have a dog lick it off

Be very careful if you try this. I own a carpet/upholstery cleaning company and I see people burn stuff all the time with this method.

Is this the best method, so long as I'm careful about not burning?

Freezing seems underwhelming. How about a carpet cleaning/stain removing/sticker removing substance of some sort? I imagine something must be available.

Fucking gum.

let it sit. it will eventually wear off

let it sit. it will eventually wear off

What? You mean the bedsheets? I dunno man... ever see those black circles on sidewalks?

That's fuckin' gum, from like the 70's. It was probably made of deadly shit back then, but still.

I dunno if I can outlast this shit. It's supposed to resist digestion for 7 fucking years. While the regular goings-on in my bad can be compared poetically to the human gastrointestinal tract, I feel it may last even longer.

Man, just when I was feeling like a grownup, with a new down duvet, matching pillow covers for the first time in my life, a 2nd pair of pants not including Judogi bottoms or sweat pants, and my clothing for the next day neatly folded on my bed.

I wake up to a kindergarten crime scene, stuck to my sheets. Like Peter Parker after a wet dream.

Last edited:
I dont get it. The gum was on a ledge at the head of your bed, your pants and shirt were on floor at foot of your bed. Somehow u managed to get gum over entire bed including stuff on the floor? And yourselves? Since you said your body heat made the gum melty im imagining that means you 2 were rolling in gum.

I dont get it. The gum was on a ledge at the head of your bed, your pants and shirt were on floor at foot of your bed. Somehow u managed to get gum over entire bed including stuff on the floor? And yourselves? Since you said your body heat made the gum melty im imagining that means you 2 were rolling in gum.

not on the floor, but on the foot of my bed. I'm an aggressive sleeper, I move around a lot. Talk in my sleep, throw the odd elbow. We were definitely both rolling in gum. Scrubbed ourselves red in the shower. Thankfully there wasnt any in our hair.

What? You mean the bedsheets? I dunno man... ever see those black circles on sidewalks?

That's fuckin' gum, from like the 70's. It was probably made of deadly shit back then, but still.

I dunno if I can outlast this shit. It's supposed to resist digestion for 7 fucking years. While the regular goings-on in my bad can be compared poetically to the human gastrointestinal tract, I feel it may last even longer.

Man, just when I was feeling like a grownup, with a new down duvet, matching pillow covers for the first time in my life, a 2nd pair of pants not including Judogi bottoms or sweat pants, and my clothing for the next day neatly folded on my bed.

I wake up to a kindergarten crime scene, stuck to my sheets. Like Peter Parker after a wet dream.

was joking nebro

I had to look up duvet because it sounded like some fancy French thing.

was joking nebro

tumblr_mes7fr6PXo1r0jddko1_500.gif

I've had this problem before, what you need is a bottle of nail varnish remover and pour a bit on a cloth and scrub the gum with it, whatever chemicals are in that stuff dissolves the gum.

Freezing is a waste of time.

nail_polish_remover_acetone_free.jpg

i think u can wet it or use a strong removal product

gum is pretty tricky

you gotta poke your eye with a needle and let the excretion drip onto the stain. once the fluid mixes with the gum you need blow your nose with a microfiber cloth and rub it along the polyisobutylene substance. of course these methods vary depending on the gum's composition/hours it was chewed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back