how to get from 230 to 185

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by spartanMMA, Aug 10, 2010.

1. spartanMMA

spartanMMA White Belt

im 21. 5'10. 230lbs. im trying to get down to 185 before the end of the year. i haven't had time to really worked out as much as i wanted recently.. cause im having a baby soon and ive been super busy tryna make money haha. as for dieting, supplements, multi vitamins, etc what do you guys recommend? here's what im thinking for my daily meals..

meal 1
    2 eggs, 1 piece of whole wheat toast, orange juice or oatmeal with some berries

snack
    2 apples or a protien shake

meal 2
    1 can of solid white albacore tuna, 1 boiled egg

snack
    any suggestions for another snack?

meal 3
    grilled chicken breat or steak with steamed veggies/salad

as of now the only supplements I'm taking are..
    whey protien, 1000 mg fish oil twice daily and a centrum performace once daily

how does this look to you guys? any feedback would be awesome. thanks!

2. knives_out

knives_out Blue Belt

Hummus goes great with veggies alone or on a whole wheat pita stuffed with Spinach.

Plain greek yogurt mixed with a tiny bit of honey is great--good for natural protein. I like to stay away from protein supplements/shakes.

3. 2quik82

2quik82 Blue Belt

hummus.i want to try that.whats been workin for me since january is drinking 1,5 liters of water bef ore and after i ate it fills me up.i weighed 297 im down to about 250 now and that is also with running and other training.i have a son its tough with kids

4. HuertaCurbStomp**

HuertaCurbStomp** Orange Belt

45 lbs weight loss is not healthy by the end of this year IMO. go for 200 or 195, don't become skinny-fat if you know what i mean

5. spartanMMA

spartanMMA White Belt

yeah i might just shoot for 200lbs for now. how does that diet plan look to you guys though? should i add or take anything out? let me know haha

6. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

Meal 1: Less sugar/grains, more protein, good fat. Alternate vegetables with your berries.

Snack 1: Wont need this is if you do #1 above.

Meal 1: Add some good fat and perhaps a vegetable, alternate protein sources.

Snack 2: See snack #1.

Meal 3: Fine, alternate meats

Good fat = saturated fats like coconut oil, grass fed/pastured animal fats

7. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

Focus not on the target, but on the rate at which you are improving. You could put together a diet on which you'd lose a pound per week that would be far less spartan than what you are proposing to eat.

Rather than looking at "what are you going to eat", take a step back and figure out what you honestly eat now in terms of calories. Once you know what "maintenance" calories looks like, you can make a plan for a lower calorie meal plan that doesn't make you want to shoot yourself in the head.

Look for:
    1. Easy things to cut out (sodas, alcohol, etc).
    2. Places where you can reduce portion size
    3. Places where you could replace foods to get more nutritional value

8. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

FWIW, my basic diet when I went from 190 to 160 in 3 months was:

6:45 AM: 2 eggs omelet w/ a bit of diced ham + cheddar cheese; coffee w/ vanilla whey

9:00 AM: handful of almonds

11:00 AM: large gala apple

1:00 PM: salad with diced ham + turkey

5:30 PM: whatever we were having for dinner - but a small portion (I had all sorts of things - spaghetti, pork chops, steak, fajitas, etc.) - always had meat + green veggie though

9:00 PM: smoothie (cup of yogurt, 1/2 banana, 1 scoop of protein, berries, ice, water)

It was pretty easy to follow and not that brutal. The weight came off quick, and 160 lbs is very light for me.

9. jimbammer

jimbammer White Belt

That's not true. That is less than 10 pounds a month. That is easily doable.

10. Oblivian

I don't think losing 40 lbs in 4 months is that big of a deal if 185 lbs isn't ridiculously light for his size/shape.

11. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

You put whey in your coffee?

12. Oblivian

Give it a try. I like coffee with a bit of cream and sweet n' low. The cheap Vanilla whey from Wal-Mart or Kroger (Body Fortress) tastes pretty similar if you add half a scoop to a travel size mug (2 cups or so).

13. immovablestone

I've tried this a couple times, and no matter what happens it always cooks and turns the whey into gross toe-jam. How hot is your coffee when you mix it?

14. Oblivian

I've had a few coffee makers, so it's however hot a normal one would be. Pretty hot I guess. Do you stir it well? I stir for quite a while.

15. immovablestone

I would stir immediately. I even tried getting the coffee stirring on its own, then adding the whey in, and it still would cook mostly into coagulated chunks. The coffee color would change drastically, but there would be a blizzard of awful, crusty whey. I gave up after a few tries. I chalked the failure up to my own retardation.

I contemplated cooling the coffee first, but I'm not a fan of the cold coffee flavor.

16. Oblivian

It could be the brand as well. I use the cheap Body Fortress Vanilla.

17. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

immovablestone's experiences are what I thought would happen, hence my surprise. I may give it a try with some cheap stuff and see how it goes.

I imagine it would work in iced coffee well ...

18. spartanMMA

spartanMMA White Belt

this actually looks way better than what i planned on doing haha. how do you like the body fortress protien? i've been using this EAS brand i got at costco but it has soy protien isolate in it and i heard that's not good. i was gonna pick some body fortess up or maybe muscle milk.. what do you guys reccomend?

19. Kromdar

Kromdar White Belt

is this your daily meal plan? you probably shouldn't be eating tuna that often due to the amount of mercury in it.

20. Oblivian

I do not like the body fortress in anything but coffee. It has too much of a aspartame taste. I normally use ON whey for my smoothies.

The meal plan isn't bad at all. Like I said, I went from 190 to 160 eating like that in 3 months. I'd have one cheat meal per week, and that was normally when I ate out. My activity level was really high though.