How to get better judging in boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by psuperman112, Sep 29, 2013.

1. psuperman112

psuperman112 Orange Belt

I was thinking about how to change the judging system in boxing last night after the Chavez fight and I thought why not do this based on punches landed via compubox? Compubox is not perfect but for close matches there would be a video review:

-Two points for power punches landed
    -One point for non-power punches landed

Most point at the end of the round wins that round 10-9, knockdown 10-8, just like it is now, the points only figure out who wins the round.

In fights where the decision is by a margin of 2 rounds or less there is a video review of the compubox numbers held by 2 judges to count punches landed and decision is handed out next day.

What do you guys think? I think it'd be a lot better than what we have now. Any other ideas? That will take out judges that give away rounds and then attribute it to 'ringsmanship' etc.

2. Spirit Breaker

Spirit Breaker Purple Belt

You're basically describing what they tried to do with Olympic scoring and it ruined the sport.

3. XCuTioNeR

XCuTioNeR Mundo Hispano FECARBOX Champion

Stupid idea.
    Give judges monitors.

4. psuperman112

psuperman112 Orange Belt

How many decisions can you come up with that were 'robberies' where the compubox numbers didn't help prove it was a 'robbery'?

5. Gigaton Punch

Gigaton Punch Gold Belt

A good idea would be to not allow 80 year olds and 79 year olds judge fights.

6. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I would like to see the judges start implementing the actual system thats already in place instead of scoring "hard" punches and nothing else.

7. Lovci

Lovci Green Belt

It doesn't work. Just look at things like comubox. They are so off, its not even funny.

Try watching the first 4 rds of May vs Ortiz, and tell me where the hell all those shots Floyd landed were.

I can't remember the exact details, but in rd 4 it said Mayweather threw 67 punches, and Ortiz 27. Someone recounted and Ortiz actually threw more then Floyd that rd. It was something along those lines.

8. psuperman112

psuperman112 Orange Belt

That's a good idea and easy to implement.

9. psuperman112

psuperman112 Orange Belt

The question is how to make them do that. I would bet some of the judges don't even clearly understand how to score a bout.

10. Lovci

Lovci Green Belt

Simple review board to hold bad scorecards accountable would do wonders. Suspensions, and mandatory further training.

11. Spirit Breaker

This is something that I would like to see.

State Athletic Commissions back up their judges like Circuit Court Judges back up their Officers when you fight a traffic ticket. They simply refuse to acknowledge bad work by their employees because it makes the whole system look incompetent. Judges really need to be held accountable.

12. Lovci

Lovci Green Belt

Exactly. It's crazy how they justify even the worst of scorecards.

13. Prefect

Prefect Brown Belt

Have judges watch a tv feed.

Have more than 3 judges a fight. There isn't nay reason you couldn't combine the score cards from 12 different judges and maybe throw out the 3 outliers. I think in the olympics in scoring events they throw out certain number of outliers.

14. Spirit Breaker

I disagree. I think it is extremely vital to have the judges observe the real, live action up close.

15. Lovci

Lovci Green Belt

Why be exposed to the cheers of the crowd and one angle, when you can watch on a big HDTV with all angles available?

16. Spirit Breaker

A professional judge should be professional enough to ignore the crowd. Should an NFL ref reverse a call when he is booed?

The sacrifice of getting television angles does not balance out with what can be seen live.

Now I'm not sure if judges have the option of replay between rounds but that could be a good thing.

17. Scissor Sweep

Scissor Sweep White Belt

Why have the same judges for 20 or 30 years, especially when they've been bribed repeatedly? The commissions need to bring in some new blood. Younger judges won't necessarily be better and more ethical but at least they won't have pre-existing relationships with promoters and sanctioning bodies.

18. Lovci

Lovci Green Belt

Bad comparison. You are judging a fight, and a huge cheer for a shot you didn't quite see can throw you off.

Yes it does.

It would.

19. goldennboy

goldennboy Brown Belt

Have you ever been to a live show? It's very different and you really see everything. Seeing fights on tv isn't half as good as live.

Edit: I'm talking front row type stuff. I've never been anywhere other than front row, so I can't speak for those 10 or 20 rows up

20. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

nothing is gonna change anytime soon