How to get a grip of a vice for wrestling opponent control?

Bright5086200

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My grip is strong, but not even close to where i think it should be. Are their any exercises that you have done that has helped with opponent wrist control?

I want to be able to grab my opponents wrist even when sweaty and control him. If i can achieve this, i will be able to set up my takedowns better. Thanks guys.. sorry for all the questions but i think this might benefit more people than just myself:icon_twis

Go to a playground with an old gi top

Hang the gi top on the monkey bars, down the middle of the gi to so the lapels are even on either side

bent arm hangs. FOREVER

Sounds good in theory, only I think you might get arrested as a suspected paedo in this country. Where else apart from kids playgrounds do you find monkeybars?? I've always thought they are valid exercise tools for adults too.

Farmers walk.

Grip up a 45lb plate in each hand and just walk around as long as you can.

Preferrably you want the smothest plate so there is less to grip.

Also you can get a pike or stick and and put a rope through the middle, tie a weight to the rope and hold your arms straight and twist the pipe so it windes up the rope.

I prefer using a towel and hanging it over a chin up bar rather than using a gi. I also find that just doing a regular kettlebell work out works the grip a lot too.

Sounds good in theory, only I think you might get arrested as a suspected paedo in this country. Where else apart from kids playgrounds do you find monkeybars?? I've always thought they are valid exercise tools for adults too.

I dunno, I see guys doing chinups in parks all the time. Same on scaffolding and such. And I almost never see kids on playground equipment.

I suggest gi chin ups, or just general gi training. Your grips will improve dramatically.

If there's a climbing gym in your town, join it. You'll develop your grip and the workout is never boring.

Back