How to gain extreme confidence leading up to a fight.

+1 for mental hilight and rehearsal of the ways you are going to win.

If you have the cash, maybe consider hiring an entourage. Those dudes will tell you and anyone in ear shot how badass you are as long as you keep poppin bottles in da VIP

It's interesting to note everyone's take on this.

Personally, I'm never 100% confident about a fight. Never have been. I'm always very aware of the fact that I'm going up against another man, and that man has worked hard, and only thought about beating me for the past 6 weeks. Same as I've gone to sleep thinking about him, and what he's missing that I can exploit, he's gone to sleep thinking about me. It's a dangerous situation, and there is a very good chance I'll lose.

Hard to explain it properly I guess, but to me, I don't buy into being 100% confident. Fear and doubt and respect for your opponent are all normal to me, but it's all part of it, and I can accept that they come with the sport. And I guess accepting and acknowledging it makes those doubts, etc, easier to deal with.

It's interesting to note everyone's take on this.

Personally, I'm never 100% confident about a fight. Never have been. I'm always very aware of the fact that I'm going up against another man, and that man has worked hard, and only thought about beating me for the past 6 weeks. Same as I've gone to sleep thinking about him, and what he's missing that I can exploit, he's gone to sleep thinking about me. It's a dangerous situation, and there is a very good chance I'll lose.

Hard to explain it properly I guess, but to me, I don't buy into being 100% confident. Fear and doubt and respect for your opponent are all normal to me, but it's all part of it, and I can accept that they come with the sport. And I guess accepting and acknowledging it makes those doubts, etc, easier to deal with.

Maybe you're confuseing confidence with cockyness.There are outcome goals (winning) which you don't have much control over. Then there are process goals (throwing more strikes so you hope to win) which you do have more control over. i agree with you about being realistic and the possibility of losing but you have to at the least have confidence in your techniques.

Last edited:
Here are some key points I highlighed on how to make mental highlight video. Link to full write up

Mental highlight videos.
You can make a short mental video highlighting your best performances. If you have never fought before you can use those training sessions where everything fell into place and you felt "ON".

• Hit a new strength & conditioning PR (personal record).
  • Perfectly timed counters against your sparring partner
  • Your speed when hitting focus mitts or Thai pads.
  • Your technique, balance and footwork when shadow boxing.
  • Your power when giving the heavybag a pounding.
  • Top notch performances from previous fights or smokers if you have any

Sweet and short
Since I have the attention span of a goldfish I would recommend to keep it short. About 10-30 seconds or up to a minute and as detailed as you can possibly remember. I prefer you imagine these highlight videos from your POV (point of view) but it's acceptable to see them from a 3rd person perspective.
  • A series of clips highlighting your best gym performances or previous fights/smoker events.
  • 10-30 seconds or up to 1 minute long.
  • From your POV or 3rd person
  • As detailed as possible.
  • Recall the feeling of each muscle being used
  • Focus on each small movement.
  • Recall your emotions during and after your performance.

Last edited:
Old skool way:

31658_Scarface.jpg

Marcos Avellan is a coach in FL who suggests confidence comes from focusing on your training and the effort you put in and not the win/lose result of the fight. Stick to that to rest well this week and on the day of the fight your adrenaline will make confidence irrelevant.

Back