How to gain extreme confidence leading up to a fight.

Soggybiscuit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yea need help with a fight in south Florida advice please on confidence

Last edited:
4 days rest leading up to a fight?

Knowing that I've trained hard. Also knowing tha I've trained with good people l.

Maybe, but this is your trainer's job. To know you as a fighter and know if you need stimulus to keep you focused/motivated, and establish confidence.

I say this because trainers should PLAN their fighters' confidence levels. If you're fighting in 4 days, you should have peaked your confidence when you were 3/4 of the way through sparring sessions. That's the time when you should have started to become so eager to fight you could taste metal, and you have that feel about you that puts other people in your Gym on alert..."Hey, this guy is ready to kick someone's ass." If that's not there by now, it ain't going to be because it comes from the quality of work you've put in. Everything should be sharp and ready to cut the other guy up.

P.S. - My Amateurs don't get rest days before a fight, Pros get ONE if it's a preliminary fight, 4 rounder.

You pretty much have to fake confidence until you actually are. I know it probably sounds goofy, but put on a false front about how sure of yourself you are when talking about it with your friends and family.

Don't be a dick about it, though. Like avoid the "I'm da best; dis chump doesn't stand a chance!!" type stuff. If the fight comes up in conversation, say stuff like, "I'm feeling really good about it! I've been training hard and I feel stronger than ever!", whether it's true or not. You might be surprised how easily you can trick yourself into feeling genuinely confident!

Maybe, but this is your trainer's job. To know you as a fighter and know if you need stimulus to keep you focused/motivated, and establish confidence.

I say this because trainers should PLAN their fighters' confidence levels. If you're fighting in 4 days, you should have peaked your confidence when you were 3/4 of the way through sparring sessions. That's the time when you should have started to become so eager to fight you could taste metal, and you have that feel about you that puts other people in your Gym on alert..."Hey, this guy is ready to kick someone's ass." If that's not there by now, it ain't going to be because it comes from the quality of work you've put in. Everything should be sharp and ready to cut the other guy up.

P.S. - My Amateurs don't get rest days before a fight, Pros get ONE if it's a preliminary fight, 4 rounder.

Thanks for that I feel lots better after reading that :(

Jaja, hey it's reality. But like Eastwood said in Million Dollar Baby when his fighter was confronted with the fact that her opponent was better: "Now...whaddya gonna DO about it?"

Jaja, hey it's reality. But like Eastwood said in Million Dollar Baby when his fighter was confronted with the fact that her opponent was better: "Now...whaddya gonna DO about it?"

Destroy him :) Thank you

If by fight, you mean hitting on that bar slag. Just take a lot of whiskey shots. You'll be brimming with confidence.

You have a fight coming up in south Florida? One of the most competitive areas in the United States for boxing today? Where the heat will gas you out in a round? You're probably fighting some Latin who's been fighting professionally since he was 13, but they "Lost his record in the last governmental coup in Cuba" and this is his "2nd amateur fight". Shouldn't be tough, just get in there and hit him, but don't let him hit you.

But seriously? Confidence? You're in there to fight, you get an opportunity to use your full force and hit somebody until they fall down. That's why you started boxing in the first place.... right? Get in there and do what you love.

just keep your hands up TS, and everything will be allright... but whatever you do, dont get knocked out.

You have a fight coming up in south Florida? One of the most competitive areas in the United States for boxing today? Where the heat will gas you out in a round? You're probably fighting some Latin who's been fighting professionally since he was 13, but they "Lost his record in the last governmental coup in Cuba" and this is his "2nd amateur fight". Shouldn't be tough, just get in there and hit him, but don't let him hit you.

since the Cuban Revolution was over 60 years ago, your opponent must be pretty damn old.

Yea need help with a fight in south Florida advice please on confidence

I wouldn't suggest faking confidence but rather build it up. You can make a short mental video highlighting your best performances. Such as those A+ days where you felt every thing clicked into place. Whether it's sparring, Strength & conditioning, mitt/bag work, shadow boxing or previous fights( if you have any).

Keep it 10-30 seconds and as detailed as you can remember. Recall how you felt in that moment, see it from your POV and as 3rd person. Let it replay in your head when you're feeling low or anxious about your upcoming fight.

Best of luck mate,

Danny M

+1 for the mental highlight reel. Whenever thoughts like 'what if this guy manages to take me down' or 'what if I can't take him down and he's beating me on the feet' creep into my head, I just think back to the times in sparring where I've thrown some great combos or set up my takedowns beautifully and it helps restore confidence in my ability.

Negative thoughts are ok to have, by the way, I'm sure everybody has them. Another thing I've started to do is never envision losing, but envision ways I perhaps can lose and then what I am going to do to counter/prevent that. For me that lets me know that even when I'm in bad situations there is ALWAYS something I can do to better my position and escape. It's not a fight against an opponent, it's a fight against yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back