How to fix this

shs101

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
When on the inside (boxing) I feel I tend to lean a little bit towards my partner as a sense of security for myself. I know its bad but when were so close I feel amost as I have to put some kind of weight on him. Can anyone give me a key concept to keep in mind or what to do to fix staying balanced when in close tight range?

You remember the head-positioning drill I posted? Well, some of them tended to lean onto each other, which all that does is smother progress. But it can smother both yours and theirs. If you watch that video, or one of the two I've posted, when someone leans on another person you'll hear me say: "If he leans on you, sidestep." And you'll hear me discourage "falling on" the other person as opposed to leaving yourself room to work. Bend your knees and get closer to them with your legs, not with your head/torso. You'll have room to hit them, and enable your defense.

I just bend my knees. Pushing your opponent off balance or up tall and burying your head in their chest has its benefits.

Suggestion:

Get into that position on a heavy bag and hit it while focusing on not leaning forward.

You remember the head-positioning drill I posted? Well, some of them tended to lean onto each other, which all that does is smother progress. But it can smother both yours and theirs. If you watch that video, or one of the two I've posted, when someone leans on another person you'll hear me say: "If he leans on you, sidestep." And you'll hear me discourage "falling on" the other person as opposed to leaving yourself room to work. Bend your knees and get closer to them with your legs, not with your head/torso. You'll have room to hit them, and enable your defense.

I will take that into training next week, about getting closer to then with your legs and not your upper body. It just feels do natural to want to lean.

Back