How to finally solve your conditioning problem

Did we just start a cult?

Changing characteristics of a muscle fibre (such as increased endurance in Type-II fibres) does not mean you are changing the actual type of it. I already said this.

You can also increase hypertrophy of Type-1 muscle fibers via methods such as tempo lifting (as described on page 39 of Ultimate MMA Conditioning).
no you cant change the type of muscle but you can condition it to act like another type.

I believe the method you described is called "Aerobic Plyometrics". Simply put, this is designed to increase the aerobic abilities of fast twitch fibers. However, this does not mean that it becomes slow-twitch.

Also, what you said about using "maximum intensity" was incorrect- as Joel writes;
nope its called the explosive repeat method and should be done as follows:

- Each repetition must be as explosive as possible
- There can be no pauses between reps
- Sets will range from 10-20 seconds
- Rest intervals will vary from 40-20 seconds

There are many methods of improving aerobic power and capacity, but you cannot change the fact that all 3 energy systems are used to varying degrees during different tasks. It's merely that one energy system is more dominant than others. So, making muscles rely solely on oxidative pathways and not on glycolytic pathways is absurd.

Thats pretty dumb, its the equivilant of saying that because a ferrari and a hummer both run on gasoline they do the same thing. and the idea is not to make muscles rely solely on oxidative pathways and not on glycolytic pathways, but rather more or less oxidative depending on your sport.

Last edited:
Sure, I know about how the body is structured and the way it works. It's just that your question makes no sense.

You realise that ALL 3 energy systems lead to the same outcome, right? That outcome being production of ATP to be used by muscle cells as fuel in order to keep working.

Now, your body constantly uses all 3 of these energy systems. Whether a muscle is composed primarily of Type-1 or Type-2 fibres is irrelevant. You cannot change this fact.

Now, I believe what you wanted to know was whether it was possible to convert fast-twitch muscle fibres to slow-twitch muscle fibres. This is impossible. You cannot simply change the structure of certain tissues. This is similar to people thinking that it is possible to convert fat into muscle- it does not work that way.

However, through continued training and efforts, it is possible to enlarge your slow-twitch muscle fibres and strengthen them. You can find many of these methods in Joel's book. I'd get my copy and tell you the exact page number, but it's on the other side of the room, and I'm comfortable sitting here, so I'm afraid that's an impossibility.

Now, maybe you go do some reading, ask less retarded questions, and quit being a condescending douche nozzle.

wait
slow fibers can be glycolytic or oxidizing
fast fibers can be glycolytic or oxidizing

proportion of slow and fast fibers you can't change. I agree.

Ok. different authors use different classification( it can be some misunderstandings). But I saw that the guy who created that thread uses "glycolytic" and "oxidizing".
I understand that oxidizing are the muscles which have a lot of mitochondria and their endurance is much better than for glycolytic muscles.

nope its called the explosive repeat method and should be done:

- Each repetition must be as explosive as possible
- There can be no pauses between reps
- Sets will range from 10-20 seconds
- Rest intervals will vary from 40-20 seconds

My bad, I got what you were saying wrong. However, it's not appropriate to start with the more "advanced" way of doing this, he would be better off following the recommendations made by Joel.

Thats pretty dumb, its the equivilant of saying that because a ferrari and a hummer both run on gasoline they do the same thing. and the idea is not to make muscles rely solely on oxidative pathways and not on glycolytic pathways, but rather more or less oxidative depending on your sport.

I believe that you and I interpreted General Ivan's question somewhat differently. I took it purely at face value, that he wanted to change the type of muscle fibre he had. I respectfully acknowledge your opinion, good sir, and agree- it is indeed necessary to train to the demands of your particular spor.

maximum effort explosive movement for 7-10 seconds(no more no less) followed by 30 seconds rest(no more no less) for several sets. for example you could do explosive push ups just make sure you are doing them as explosivly as possible

I agree! I do this. Sometimes it is just 2-3 seconds( if it is sprint). Where did you get your knowledge ? :)

But! My opinion that this is for fast fiber. What do you do for slow fiber ?

I agree! I do this. Sometimes it is just 2-3 seconds( if it is sprint). Where did you get your knowledge ? :)

This method can be found in Joel Jamieson's book "Ultimate MMA Conditioning", along with many more methods. You can find more info on his website, www.8weeksout.com

To increase the ability of the slow-twitch fibres, he recommends cardiac output (LSD training), tempo lifting (increases hypertrophy of slow-twitch muscle fibers), as well as anaerobic threshold training. Many of the other methods he describes relate to the ability of the fast-twitch fibres more so than the slow-twitch fibres.

I agree! I do this. Sometimes it is just 2-3 seconds( if it is sprint). Where did you get your knowledge ?

got it from joels website
This method can be found in Joel Jamieson's book "Ultimate MMA Conditioning", along with many more methods. You can find more info on his website, www.8weeksout.com

To increase the ability of the slow-twitch fibres, he recommends cardiac output (LSD training), tempo lifting (increases hypertrophy of slow-twitch muscle fibers), as well as anaerobic threshold training. Many of the other methods he describes relate to the ability of the fast-twitch fibres more so than the slow-twitch fibres.
+1

also north or south island? im in christchurch

also north or south island? im in christchurch

Palmy North, reppin' it.

How's Christchurch doing these days? All I see about it on the news is people complaining about the EQC, but is most of it going alright?

hmmm I always thought that anaerobic threshold training is for fast muscle fibers :icon_neut

I have no idea what it is. But it you increase hypertrophy of slow-twitch muscle fibers it doesn't mean that they will be oxidative

ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go to the goddam website and read the god damned articles it explains all that you want to know and more.

ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go to the goddam website and read the god damned articles it explains all that you want to know and more.

relax baby, I didn't know that the site has this information. Someone said that the book has. And I'm NOT GOING TO BUY THE BOOK! I already have many books :icon_lol:
I just want to compare how I train and how people here train

I found!))

There tempo method is the most effective way to stimulate growth in the slow twitch fibers, but in order to accomplish this it must be done exactly as prescribed:
- Tempo is 2 seconds concentric and 2 seconds eccentric
- You must maintain constant motion, there can be no pauses at any point
- You must not hold your breath at any point, breathing must be constant
- Sets will be 8-12 reps with no more than 40 seconds rest between them
- Each set must be to done to complete muscular failure

Back