How to finally solve your conditioning problem

Exactly, that's what most of us were expecting.

I've seen many a thread like this before, starts out real well and then turns into a sales pitch. We even had a guy here at one time who told everyone "you're doing it all wrong, I can tell you what to do instead, but I'm not going to because I get paid for that kind of information in real life." That was basically the tone of all of his posts.

was he some kind of COACH..........:redface:

was he some kind of COACH..........:redface:

Not sure who or what he was. He just told everyone he was super qualified and got paid tonnes of money for his services so he wasn't about to give that information out for free here.

He was short lived.

Not sure who or what he was. He just told everyone he was super qualified and got paid tonnes of money for his services so he wasn't about to give that information out for free here.

He was short lived.

Sorry, I thought it was coachd for a sec

Yeah, I remember him.

He tried to get some of his 'clients' on here and start a log but it turns out their ip's matched or something if I remember half correctly

That was a little more than i cared to see...

The only funny part about it was everyone in the crowd with that shocked/stunned/WTF look on their face

I'm not on here to sell anything and I'm perfectly willing to give out plenty of information for free. Down the road I will put together a book that people can buy if they want to learn more, but I'll always provide a lot of information about my programs for free. That doesn't mean I have the time to write out people's entire training program for them, but I'm happy to answer any questions about strength and conditioning for MMA.

As far as more about my background, as Wanaka said I own a Strength & Conditioning Center that is located directly next door to AMC Pankration in the Seattle area. When Pride was around, I worked as their official Strength Coach to train all the fighters they sent to Seattle to train with Matt Hume at AMC. Over the last 5 years I've worked with about 20-30 top level fighters from Pride, K-1, UFC, etc. Prior to that I worked at the University level and in the NFL.

When I first started training fighters there was only one or two other strength coaches I knew that had ever really worked with fighters. In the last year or two as the sport has exploded more and more coaches have jumped on the bandwagon and started selling programs and writing about programs for MMA that are mostly worthless in my opinion. The majority of the people selling programs have never even worked with any real fighters (the exception to this is Martin Rooney). If they were actually busy training fighters they wouldn't have the time to be out talking and writing so much about it.

I decided to start posting and writing to teach people that training and conditioning is a science not a crapshoot and is specific to the individual. Randomly throwing together a bunch of exercises and doing them really hard does not mean you are training the way that you should be or could be. This seems to be the program mentality pushed by a lot of strength coaches trying to sell something to fighters these days.

If your goal is to become a top level fighter you need to do more than just train really hard doing a bunch of random complexes, intervals, and bodyweight exercises. You also don't need to be doing a bunch of stupid circus exercises on balls and balance boards and whatever else like the functional training crowd would have you believe.

Training is about understanding how the body works and where your weak points are and then creating programs specifically designed to improve them. Even at the beginning level that's what it's all about, it's just that they have a lot more weak points to work on so the training can be GPP based and thus more generalized.

You also don't need to be doing a bunch of stupid circus exercises on balls and balance boards and whatever else like the functional training crowd would have you believe.

Amen to this.

You know once at seminar Mr.Funtional Trainer Juan Carlos Santana actually blew out his ACL while demonstrating some stupid ball exercise? Now that's ironic.

You know once at seminar Mr.Funtional Trainer Juan Carlos Santana actually blew out his ACL while demonstrating some stupid ball exercise? Now that's ironic.

Are you serious?

A friend of mine shattered a huge window in his living room when he lost control of one of those indo board thingies that you're supposed to stand on for the ol' functional strength.

I seriously think most people would probably benefit more from doing Wii Fitness than they would from trying half of those ridiculous exercises, that's how pointless most of them are. If you're training to ride Shamu the whale then ball exercises are probably great, otherwise they are mostly a waste of time.

good to have you here. It was good to read your posts. much appreciated bro.

the skepticism here was only natural due to past experience but he sounds like a legit person so we can all move on....

If you can get mach in shape, im a believer.

lol

Back