How to fight a wrestler ?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I have been training bjj for 2 years and I have a background as a boxer. Btw I suck in wrestling and kicking.
I'm very tall and lanky and have tremendous cardio (triathlon background too).
I'm actually a very cheap version of the Diaz bros.
Sometimes I attend mma class and I find myself having a very hard time against pure wrestlers.
They score a takedown with ease, stall it out for a while, then go back up to their feet because I am good enough on my back to not take too much gnp and represent a threat to them.
So, which strategy should I adopt in the striking department to not get taken down by a wrestler as a pure boxer ?
I know this isn't the striking forum, but wrestlers are the ones who know the more about takedown defense, that's why I ask here.

- ask if 22÷7 is more true for a circumference of a circle than pi.
- quote Finnigans Wake.
- quiz them in which two countries in South America are landlocked.

Man the answer is simple but not easy. You just have to have better BJJ than them. Develop your guard.

tbh i feel unless you knock guy out hes gonna get his hands on you at some point of the fight thats just the way it is...
especially in local mma shows as they use very small cages 16-20 feet not lots of room to move your gonna get put near the fence eventually really learn some good single/double leg defenses and learn how to properly wall walk getting back to your feat theirs tons of great vids online about it tbh

just being honest with you

here is some great vids one of gsps old mma coaches danaher black belt

I have been training bjj for 2 years and I have a background as a boxer. Btw I suck in wrestling and kicking.
Sometimes I attend mma class and I find myself having a very hard time against pure wrestlers.
They score a takedown with ease, stall it out for a while, then go back up to their feet because I am good enough on my back to not take too much gnp and represent a threat to them.
So, which strategy should I adopt in the striking department to not get taken down by a wrestler as a pure boxer ?
I know this isn't the striking forum, but wrestlers are the ones who know the more about takedown defense, that's why I ask here.

You ask, but i think you already know the answer.

Other fighters are taking you down, so you need to practice takedown defense.

Other fighters are holding you down as long as they please, so you need to practice escape.

Other fighters are deciding for you what phase the fight goes into, so you need to practice deciding for them.

There is a mental block saying that you can't, or shouldn't, adopt a mindset that sees such things as valuable (taking people down, being on top, et cetera); this block is standing in the way of your path to victory.

'So, which strategy should I adopt in the striking department to not get taken down', the striking strategy you should adopt is one that involves checking in with the other wrestlers to practice your grappling in neutral, which is clearly yearning for some love. Questions like 'should i box more or kick more to avoid takedowns' are just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic; you're sinking either way.

Put time into fighting in the clinch; put time into escaping rides; put time into using the cage.

There is no other sport - not freestyle, not muay thai, not sumo - that so closely emulates the dynamics of clinchfighting in MMA; consequently, there are very few in MMA who truly excel in this aspect as well; and since it is also one of the most important aspects of success in MMA, those that do enjoy great advantage over their opponents.

Last edited:
- ask if 22÷7 is more true for a circumference of a circle than pi.
- quote Finnigans Wake.
- quiz them in which two countries in South America are landlocked.

No.

Riverrun adam something something

Bolivia and Paraguay.

But I aint no wrestler.

Git gud.

In all seriousness (and it sounds very simplistic), jab and keep them on the outside. You're going to have to have a training partner basically shoot continuously and drill with you so you can get range and timing down. There's no silver bullet

I would just start doing steroids and lifting until you are too big to take down.

Learn to work your legs in guard better, if you are tall and lanky invest in triangles more.

Man the answer is simple but not easy. You just have to have better BJJ than them. Develop your guard.

Trying to keep people from standing up when they are in your guard is a bit of a silly tactic. He claims they let go and just want to score the take down.

You ask, but i think you already know the answer.

Other fighters are taking you down, so you need to practice takedown defense.

Other fighters are holding you down as long as they please, so you need to practice escape.

Other fighters are deciding for you what phase the fight goes into, so you need to practice deciding for them.

There is a mental block saying that you can't, or shouldn't, adopt a mindset that sees such things as valuable (taking people down, being on top, et cetera); this block is standing in the way of your path to victory.

'So, which strategy should I adopt in the striking department to not get taken down', the striking strategy you should adopt is one that involves checking in with the other wrestlers to practice your grappling in neutral, which is clearly yearning for some love. Questions like 'should i box more or kick more to avoid takedowns' are just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic; you're sinking either way.

Put time into fighting in the clinch; put time into escaping rides; put time into using the cage.

There is no other sport - not freestyle, not muay thai, not sumo - that so closely emulates the dynamics of clinchfighting in MMA; consequently, there are very few in MMA who truly excel in this aspect as well; and since it is also one of the most important aspects of success in MMA, those that do enjoy great advantage over their opponents.

this.. seems guys here seem to think eh should just work bjj lol yeah not at all.. unless he gets the sub off his back he loses the entire round mma is only sport that uses the age and the details of mixing everything so tbh if i were him id spend an entire camp on defending takedowns against the fence learning how to frame properly learning how to use your hips to make self a lot wider so they cant lift you hes fighting amateur so he isnt prob gonna be fighting any top wrestlers

Did u meen forum guud?<{1-7}>

In all seriousness (and it sounds very simplistic), jab and keep them on the outside. You're going to have to have a training partner basically shoot continuously and drill with you so you can get range and timing down. There's no silver bullet
I like the last sentence. Because with me in Judo... there's no telling when the throw against me may work.

The striking talk is too simpleton. For one, the Gracie's with their corny videos do illustrate that simple boxing won't work against BJJ... especially since high level boxing exists only in rarefied air as far as MMA competition is concerned. The Gracie's present the BJJ 'concept' extremely well which is a major factor in their large following.<{1-12}>

I would just start doing steroids and lifting until you are too big to take down.
I just led into my 1st post this hour with a retort about silliness....<Oku04>

this.. seems guys here seem to think eh should just work bjj lol yeah not at all..
Posters here @ TGF are knowledgeable on BJJ / GJJ, my feeling. The rub is BJJ is much more complicated to master than the demos impart... my 2 cents. However, I do believe it's superior to wrestling for several reasons.

None of which are mentioned here & who am I - I write too much - I quote too much - I use too many 'heads;' me bad poster.<{1-13}>

Last edited:
Did u meen forum guud?<{1-7}>

I like the last sentence. Because with me in Judo... there's not telling when the throw against may work.

The striking talk is too simpleton. For one, the Gracie's with their corny videos do illustrate that simple boxing won't work against BJJ... especially since high level boxing exists only in rarefied air as far as MMA competition is concerned. The Gracie's present the BJJ 'concept' extremely well which is a major factor in their large following.<{1-12}>

I just led into my 1st post this hour with a retort about silliness....<Oku04>

Posters here @ TGF are knowledgeable on BJJ / GJJ, my feeling. The rub is BJJ is much more complicated to master than the demos impart... my 2 cents. However, I do believe it's superior to wrestling for several reasons.

None of which are mentioned here & who am I - I write too much - I quote too much - I use too many 'heads;' me bad poster.<{1-13}>
id not say that you are just a weeabo given you have 4 gifs of asian females in 1 post

Keep those feet attached to the ground

From a pure grappling perspective - I saw it recommended on here that you use dual threats against wrestlers, and I've found it to be true - wrestlers tend to be epic at countering single threats - even ones they don't really understand but just intuitively know something is afoot...but sometimes overcommit in what they deem to be the main threat, leaving them open to the second threat or even throwing themselves into it. A lot of people also have great luck with leglocks...not my cup of tea but a lot of their sprawling and ways of maintaining balance and top position leave them open to leglocks.

Back