How to exit your job gracefully

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I have been with my company only for a short while and I want to look for other employment. The job wasn't a fit for me right at the start, and the more tasks being piled on to me, the harder it is to deal with. The thing is I think my teammates have been dependent on me quite a bit and I am now part of a new inter-departmental project (not an important role) which would last well into 2017.

I want to be able to to leave without burning bridges and not putting a burden to my teammates. I am actively seeking new employment and the best time to leave in case I get a good offer is January or March of next year. The project I am part of has phases, and I think it would be best that if I leave after a phase is completed. Thing is, I think I would have to give at least 45 days notice, and not the usual 30, all things considered.

As much as I like the other "quit your job" thread, I want to keep this simple and uneventful. I am pretty lucky to land the job in the first place considering I have a poor employment history. And it might get tricky getting an offer for a larger paycheck with the next employer.

office-space-cubicle.gif

You should probably just challenge everyone in your department to a fight and punch someone in the chest. Probably the best way out.

You don't need to worry so much about timing your exit from your current employer than when your new employer wants you to start. From my experience, as long as you give both sides your two week notice, everyone understands.

Give ample notice.

If they give you an exit interview focus on mentioning the positives of this job. Don't rip on the company or your boss.

Not sure the extent of this project you are working on but leaving your team in the middle of it might cause a lot of butthurt amongst management.

Is there anyway you could discuss your current workload with your boss? See if you can salvage this position or at least make it a little more bearable?

How long have you been at this job anyways?

Whatever you do, just don't steal your bosses weed and you should be okay.

Pull your pants and jocks down to your ankles (not cankles because you aint Ronda) and run around the office saying this is for Harambe.

{<jimmies}{<jimmies}{<jimmies}

Give ample notice.

If they give you an exit interview focus on mentioning the positives of this job. Don't rip on the company or your boss.

Not sure the extent of this project you are working on but leaving your team in the middle of it might cause a lot of butthurt amongst management.

Is there anyway you could discuss your current workload with your boss? See if you can salvage this position or at least make it a little more bearable?

How long have you been at this job anyways?

Only a few months on the job. I can't imagine being able to pick my own tasks, the role is kind of written out pretty clearly. And I don't have a huge bearing with the project, I can easily be replaced by an intern or newbie, lol.

Be nice, tell them it's a great opportunity that you cannot pass up. Thank them for everything they taught you and give a lot of notice.

I have been with my company only for a short while and I want to look for other employment. The job wasn't a fit for me right at the start, and the more tasks being piled on to me, the harder it is to deal with. The thing is I think my teammates have been dependent on me quite a bit and I am now part of a new inter-departmental project (not an important role) which would last well into 2017.

I want to be able to to leave without burning bridges and not putting a burden to my teammates. I am actively seeking new employment and the best time to leave in case I get a good offer is January or March of next year. The project I am part of has phases, and I think it would be best that if I leave after a phase is completed. Thing is, I think I would have to give at least 45 days notice, and not the usual 30, all things considered.

As much as I like the other "quit your job" thread, I want to keep this simple and uneventful. I am pretty lucky to land the job in the first place considering I have a poor employment history. And it might get tricky getting an offer for a larger paycheck with the next employer.

Punch your Boss in the Chest and challenge the whole department.

@Loyoloyal

A teammate who had the same amount of time spent in the company seemed to strongly suggest plans of leaving as well to me discreetly. In case we leave around the same time, this would definitely put a dent in my plans of an uneventful exit. It may even prevent me from getting clearance with the boss(es). Any of you been in a similar position?

Last edited:
Back