How to drill the technical side of wrestling into high school wrestlers

jacketwrestler1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I am helping coach my old high school wrestling team. A couple days ago was the first practice I helped out with. Anyways, I wanted them to do a sort of light roll (10-30%) and it was like I was speaking another language. Any ideas on how to drill the more technical aspects of wrestling into their heads?

Spar with them 1-on-1 and show them how technical you should be doing things?

Did wonders when I helped coach the HWTs for my old wrestling team. Wrestled with these guys (three of them): one my height but outweighed by 50 pounds, one an entire foot taller, and the last was a football diesel jacked monster beast.

Showed them the more technical side of clinch wrestling and they listened after that.

Make them run a lot first so they're really tired

it depends on how bad they suck. which sounds pretty bad. Break it down into steps from set up and just make them work that. then have them do set up to lower level.(if its a shot) then setup, lower level, then shoot. then all the way through the finish. if that doesn't work. teach em a headthrow and go have a beer.

It's not that they all suck(Most do but, there's a couple decent)it's that they have no clue about the words go light. It's either balls to the wall or drilling with no in between.

it depends on how bad they suck. which sounds pretty bad. Break it down into steps from set up and just make them work that. then have them do set up to lower level.(if its a shot) then setup, lower level, then shoot. then all the way through the finish. if that doesn't work. teach em a headthrow and go have a beer.

I think he means he wants to teach them that wrestling =/= muscling your way through everything, not trying to teach them HOW to wrestle.

Bump for more ideas
Whenever I wrestle them regardless of who has the weight advantage they use the your so much stronger excuse despite the fact I lifted weights and ran 5 miles before practice.

We had an idiot wrestler in our judo club who was the same way. Problem was, this guy had been there for years and was as strong as a donkey and about as smart as one. It was like you had to explain to the guy every single time, "slow it down."

If guys can't listen, give them some negative reinforcement. Make the guys who aren't going light do 200 squats and 100 pushups or 50 burpees if you catch them going to hard. Tell them to check their egos at the door, there is nothing to be won when you are working on technique and trying to get better as a team and individually and if they don't want to listen there are consequences to their actions - or something to that effect.

Good luck.

I am not sure you are using the right terminology. Our coach used to say to us all the time go about 50% and we understood completely what he meant.

Tell them to go in super slow-mo?

Just kidding.

Let them know its just drilling, but putting things together in a slow roll.

Condition the shit out of them. It has 2 benfeits. It boosts their cardio and wears them to the point where technique is all they will have left. They won't have an ounce of strength to exert.

Tell them that this part of practice is NOT competitive wresltling, it is just stringing together the techniques that we have been working on. Tell them there are no winners and losers in this drill and you will have competitive wreslting later in the practice.

I am not sure you are using the right terminology. Our coach used to say to us all the time go about 50% and we understood completely what he meant.

Same here, it's not rocket science.

Of course, it's up to them to actually go 50%. I can remember our coach telling us just to go 25% for some realistic drilling, but for a lot of guys it became a lot more than 25%.

Back