How to do splits (Flexability for Kicking)

The Phenom

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am starting MT again, but because of injuries I lost all my flexability, and never really had a problem with it before.

I want to be able to do the splits again, so my kicking is better and I can be able to kick higher.

Is there a standard routine to increase this kind of flexability?

Thanks!

One of my good friends was a catcher for KU's baseball team. He had to keep his groin pretty well stretched out so he did this:

stretch a bit standing up... standard wide legged stance leaning over to get a good pull on your inner thighs.

Then find a wall and lay on your back w/ your butt up against it and your legs going straight up the wall.

Start spreading your legs and gravity will take over. Be sure to keep your ass on the wall.

It stretches a LOT and is actually quite uncomfortable. He would find a song that was ~4 min long and just zone out to that. He'd do that 2 times a day. He could do the splits. He's 6'4" and 250 pretty damn solid lbs too, so he's not some lanky guy. :D Good luck!

Buy Thomas Kurz's book 'stretching scientifically', read it twice, do what he says.

Back