how to develope force for non holding knee strike

robin101

White Belt
Reaction score
hey guys

Was wondering what kind of training or methods you use for developing power and speed for knee strikes done out of clinch, in jabbing distance??

Thanks guys, need the help.

if you get your hips into the knee, it should develop a lot of force

Practice alot on a heavy bag. focus should be on hip movement and foot work.

Practice on a dummy or a hanging bag. Make sure you are thrusting forward and pulling your opponent into your knee. Also work on targeting. A well placed knee can finish a fight faster than any other strike IMO

Practice timing the knee on the heavy bag for when the bag swings towards you then step in and knee (no clinch) while driving your hips forward. The weight of the heavybag will be heavy enough that you will really feel the knee drive into the target and will give you a feel for driving the hips into it.

Practice timing the knee on the heavy bag for when the bag swings towards you then step in and knee (no clinch) while driving your hips forward. The weight of the heavybag will be heavy enough that you will really feel the knee drive into the target and will give you a feel for driving the hips into it.
Ya this is probably my favorite thing to do on the bag. Use the teep to start the swing and as it comes back drive the knee in and fold the bag in half. The step, hips, and posture are where the power comes from

Ya this is probably my favorite thing to do on the bag. Use the teep to start the swing and as it comes back drive the knee in and fold the bag in half. The step, hips, and posture are where the power comes from

Exactly, I find I feel the most power this way and really helps you to dig that knee in with max power.

What helped me is to think of the knee strike in 2 steps, but with no break. First bring the knee up, and while it's coming up, get onto the ball of your opposite foot and thrust the hips forward. This makes it into more of a forward motion as opposed to upward, and it has def helped me get more power into my knees.

It also helps to swing your opposite hand across your face, for defense & balance purposes.

As for exercises to make this more powerful, aside from just working your technique and making sure you're really exploding through the knee and thrusting your hips, there are a variety of lifts and ply exercises you can do; working your core will help, use compound core exercises like reverse crunches & hanging leg lifts, squats/ box jumps, sprints, mountain climbers, etc.

Technique is paramount.

you have to really step into it off your base foot and use your body weight. also, never throw it with your front leg, because it's very weak and then you also can't step in with it

Hmm.... step into it with your hip. Dropping one shoulder and hand back is good too but that leaves you to a counter and possibly get knocked out. You should only do that after a feint or if you mix it up so well that your opponent is confused and doesn't see it coming.

Also, you could grab on their shoulder or behind their head and deliver the knee.

you have to really step into it off your base foot and use your body weight. also, never throw it with your front leg, because it's very weak and then you also can't step in with it

Unless you step in with your rear leg in the same motion as a switch roundhouse, except fire the knee.

Both standing and clinch knee strikes get their power from the same source: Extension of the hips via "thrusting" - you thrust kind of like you're thrusting to have sex (I know, weird analogy but it's the best I can think of for the hip movement).

This is a fitness picture but it's the best I could find that illustrates the posture:
butt-workout-01-fiss296-thumb-572xauto-121082.jpg

Notice that her back posture is leaning back a bit as she has thrusted her hip forward. When you practice a standing knee on a bag, you want it such that you would be taking a forward step if the bag wasn't there

However, you can see from this picture that he weight is kinda of static - that's a fitness workout and she's posing so she wouldn't want to go forward.
- You're going to want to be throwing your weight FORWARD when you knee, NOT UP.

Also notice she is flat footed. There's no right/wrong way, but I like to go on the balls of my feet for extra push when I throw a free standing knee.

And of course, hands up, but that goes without saying...

Go up on your toes while throwing the knee. this is very important. turn your hips towards the striking side, and push hips forward.
I think it was Bruce lee that said "if you want to develope your kick, kick. if you want a better punch, punch"
If you want more explosive hip power, I recommend adding power cleans to your workouts.

I wouldn't recommend throwing knees without at least checking their arms with a trap or partial clinch. A strong step-in knee requires you to commit your momentum forward, and an alert opponent can easily capitalize with a punch.

hey guys

Was wondering what kind of training or methods you use for developing power and speed for knee strikes done out of clinch, in jabbing distance??

Thanks guys, need the help.

KE = 1/2MV^2 or F = MA of course!!! :icon_chee

Probably not helpful huh? Ok, so increasing the efficacy of any strike can happen through (1) muscle memory which is achieved through CORRECT repetition of the mechanical movement, and/or (2) increasing your muscular power output.

So train the knee religiously against a heavy bag, on the pads, and during sparring. Do it as quickly and explosively as you can. When you do your supplemental exercises, you want to work plyometrically with total body movements focusing on core and leg power.

What helped me is to think of the knee strike in 2 steps, but with no break. First bring the knee up, and while it's coming up, get onto the ball of your opposite foot and thrust the hips forward. This makes it into more of a forward motion as opposed to upward, and it has def helped me get more power into my knees.

It also helps to swing your opposite hand across your face, for defense & balance purposes.

As for exercises to make this more powerful, aside from just working your technique and making sure you're really exploding through the knee and thrusting your hips, there are a variety of lifts and ply exercises you can do; working your core will help, use compound core exercises like reverse crunches & hanging leg lifts, squats/ box jumps, sprints, mountain climbers, etc.

Technique is paramount.

Best advice here as well as best description as to how to do it. Only thing I can add is you can use your same side hand to either grab their neck and pull them into the knee or come across with an elbow after you knee.

Most important steps:
1) position
2) technique/execute
3) defense- protect your face cause your opponent with usually try to counter with a jab or a cross
4) counter- be ready to counter their counter with either a transition to a clinch or come across with a elbow or a hook and back out

Look at picture above for reason to protect your face haha

Best advice here as well as best description as to how to do it. Only thing I can add is you can use your same side hand to either grab their neck and pull them into the knee or come across with an elbow after you knee.

Most important steps:
1) position
2) technique/execute
3) defense- protect your face cause your opponent with usually try to counter with a jab or a cross
4) counter- be ready to counter their counter with either a transition to a clinch or come across with a elbow or a hook and back out

Look at picture above for reason to protect your face haha

The only thing to add to that is that you don't "lift" your knee. You thrust the knee up using your calf muscle and forward with your hips.

Back