How to develop a devastating mt round kick

elbowskneeskicks

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I know this a common question and all, but specifically what are your best bets on weight exercises for muay thai round kicks.I understand that technicue is always best, but try to ignore that for now. will working quads help, such as leg extensions? I know that thai kicks are supposed to be performed with a somewhat straight leg, but i still feel that leg extensions have actually helped, despite what everyone says. I notice that the some of the hardest kickers (Cro cop, shogun, etc.)GENERALLY have massive thighs, so maybe the quads do play a bigger role than people like to say? Also, does the rotation power come from hip or core(obliques to be particular)? thanks, appreciate all responses.

Want to be better at kicking? kick.

Want to be better at kicking? kick.
yes but you also need to develop and strengthen muscles. Look at the Diaz bros(my favorite fighters) for example, they constantly practice punching but are relatively weak punchers, preffering to use volume punching most of the time.

yes but you also need to develop and strengthen muscles. Look at the Diaz bros(my favorite fighters) for example, they constantly practice punching but are relatively weak punchers, preffering to use volume punching most of the time.

Yes but there are countless examples of lean / skinny fighters that do generate alot of power.

I would say work on your technique over and over for years. Only then start thinking about lifting or other exercises.

Just kick a lot and do a full body workout 2 to 3 times a week., focusing on compound exercises. You can't specifically say you have to train this or that muscle, because you're talking about a technique in which our whole body is moving.

I spent nearly 3 years building up my strength, through quads and back. My thighs are 31inches. I have some muscular weight that helps travel through on a strong kick but the snap was better -10kg.

IMO, the best kickers in the world are some of the Thai guys who do little more than some plyo training.

You MUST understand the mechanics of the kick through repetition and knowledge of your own body.
No article, video or explanation can capture the understanding of the kick through practice. That especially goes for telling you what exercise to do.
My kick comes 90 percent from my hips and pushing from my calf. I've seen others who will use quad push off. So what are you going to do - follow somebody's exercise idea? I'm not convinced there is a one exercise fits all, short of bodyweight exercises and just bag work.

Good luck whatever you do.

Kru Yod has them lean legs. I don't THINK he squats 440lbs.

I would recommend oxygen deprivation masks, battle ropes, tanning salons, and forum inquiries for kick power development.

For anything related to kicking, bags and pads are much more useful pieces of equipment than the heaviest barbell you can find. And I happen to like strength training, I just don't do it specifically to directly improve as a fighter.

I would recommend oxygen deprivation masks, battle ropes, tanning salons, and forum inquiries for kick power development.

Nailed it.

On a serious note. I do find having a strong core and hips help with my kick power. Technique is number one though.

First of all you need to focus on technique rather than power. That means not leaning back, being relaxed and not using excessive muscle force (because it will make you tired). Balance is also extremely important, because you need to be in a good position, be able to block, evade or counter after you throw a kick. So get down all that first.

With good technique power will come automatically, but focusing too much on power will make your technique shit.

I believe one is either fast twitch (explosive) or slow twitch (not so explosive) and lifting weights will only help to a certain degree. Having a strong body certainly helps with everything, but i don't think there any specific exercises that help significantly with kicking power. Train your whole body.

don't forget working in a farm to get that tan

Depends on race. If TS is a jacked white man he can only get so far with the farm tanning. A tanning salon would be more efficient.

Shame on you all, ting tong men..........

Kick banana tree!!!!!!!

First of all you need to focus on technique rather than power. That means not leaning back, being relaxed and not using excessive muscle force (because it will make you tired). Balance is also extremely important, because you need to be in a good position, be able to block, evade or counter after you throw a kick. So get down all that first.

With good technique power will come automatically, but focusing too much on power will make your technique shit.

I believe one is either fast twitch (explosive) or slow twitch (not so explosive) and lifting weights will only help to a certain degree. Having a strong body certainly helps with everything, but i don't think there any specific exercises that help significantly with kicking power. Train your whole body.

One thing I wanted to add is hip flexibility. Obviously for a well-trained thai fighter it's a given but many people in the West that train "muay thai" have hips that don't rotate well.

I know because I trained quite alot "thai K-1" (that's how I call it because it was really in between both) 20 to 10 years ago and had good kicking hips. My mid kicks were very strong.

Then for the last 10 years I focused mostly on grappling and lost ALOT of kicking skills as well as flexibility. I am slowly getting back into yet another version of "thai-K-1" and I am noticing how much the lack of flexibility in my hip results in "friction", loss of energy upon impact and lastly : a poor balance.

One thing I wanted to add is hip flexibility. Obviously for a well-trained thai fighter it's a given but many people in the West that train "muay thai" have hips that don't rotate well.

I know because I trained quite alot "thai K-1" (that's how I call it because it was really in between both) 20 to 10 years ago and had good kicking hips. My mid kicks were very strong.

Then for the last 10 years I focused mostly on grappling and lost ALOT of kicking skills as well as flexibility. I am slowly getting back into yet another version of "thai-K-1" and I am noticing how much the lack of flexibility in my hip results in "friction", loss of energy upon impact and lastly : a poor balance.
Yes, bad flexibility will lead to shitty technique.

Horse Meat
Only works if you're Dutch. If you really want to kick like a Thai, drink a liter of M-150 before training or fighting/. Cardio galore and a 500% increase in strength (and heart attacks).

For an easy 10% increase in kick power I would suggest an application of this:

41m0oEjTCLL.jpg

Back