How to defend this takedown?

tudor_bjj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In BJJ when you bear hug a guy from his back you make him fall by leaning back and plant your foot, blocking one of his ankles. But I saw a variation (greco-roman style) when you just throw him the same way, without planting your foot. Guys, is there any way you can defend this takedown?

The guy who's got the back, obviously. Two underhooks...

work to break the grip or at least create a little space, then get your hips a little bit away from him and quickly turn to face him (trying to get an underhook as you turn, if you can't break his grip). easier said than done, as your balance and ability to anticipate his takedown is key.

i would be more concerned with the suplex, which you can stop by grapevining your leg around his to prevent him from lifting you up.

I knew that suplex defense. I don't know how you can create space in that situation to turn around and face him. Maybe somebody has a better solution.
Thanks anyway, bro!

Obviously the way to defend a suplex from the back is to get your hips very low in base. But that leaves you open for that trip you were talking about. To get room to escape, push his hands that are around your waist lower and turn your hips a little to whichever arm you want to trap. (whichever of his hands that's holding his other is the one you want to trap.) I would prefer to go from a kimura from this position but you can use the kimura hold to turn to face him. Why would you want to go for an escape anyway when you could rather go for the direct submission or counter?

Another defense to the suplex if he's already taken you off your feet is to reach one of your arms over his shoulder and put your hand in between the shoulder blades of his back while using your leg on the same side as the arm you used to hook his left or right leg from the inside, like a grapevine. Also make sure to keep your other hand on his clasped hands pushing down. As soon as he let's you down from this position, I find it best to go for the rolling kneebar.

Something like this?
This is from 1st Croatian sub grappling tournament. beautifull right?
12bt8zk.gif

That one looked more like a suplex to me. I was talking about bringing the guy not over you, but mainly throwing him laterally (?)

Yeah this is suplex but im fucking bored now so I posted picture :)

there's a move called a "switch". its a move wehre if the guy is behind you and you are on ur butt, you can do a reversal so you end up behind him.

you usually do this on ur butt, but u can do it from being taken down as you mentioned. ask a wrestler to show u a switch (switch is a folkstyle wrestling move. greco or freestyle guys may not know what it is).

Afrofeet said:
Something like this?
This is from 1st Croatian sub grappling tournament. beautifull right?
12bt8zk.gif
learned that last week...i had a lot of trouble learning that and still do, but a damn great move while the guy is behind you.
-Jon

I think you're talking about what is known as Tani Otoshi in judo:
taniotoshi.JPG

For a defense of this I try to throw my right arm over they're right shoulder (kimura overhook) and turn into them as hard as possible, and maybe, if real lucky, inner hook they're left leg with my right leg. It's tough to defend.

that's one of my favorite takedowns, always get it on judo guys when they try hip throws,

BlackBeltNow said:
there's a move called a "switch". its a move wehre if the guy is behind you and you are on ur butt, you can do a reversal so you end up behind him.

you usually do this on ur butt, but u can do it from being taken down as you mentioned. ask a wrestler to show u a switch (switch is a folkstyle wrestling move. greco or freestyle guys may not know what it is).

awesome move. Freestyle guys should definetly know what it is. It's a pretty slick move if you can get the timing right. Greco guys won't know it, because they aren't allowed to touch legs at all, and the switch requires some leg contact.

Depends on what you're doing, wrestling or bjj?
In wrestling you can try to make room with your hip and face him or reach down and "hook" his elbow with your elbow, hold it really tight lean forward go to your knees and "pivot" your arm under you to pull him to the ground, plant the arm not holding his on the ground and try to lift yourself over his body into a side mount. ( I hope you can picture this)
Or before he tries to take you down make sure you get your feet wide, reach down with one or even both hands, grab him behind the knee or his heel and yank it up while sitting down, you should land right on his chest and his back to the ground which being a wrestler he won't like and may turn to his chest.
BJJ Do a kimura, watch a Sakuraba fight to get a good idea how to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back