How to Counter a Counter punch..

Mike334

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm a rookie at boxing and I was hitting mitts with my trainer yesterday. I am 158lbs and I am 6'1". My trainer was around 5'5", 5"6 at the most but he is VERY quick. I would throw a jab and he would step back and counter my jab with a right while I was getting my hands back to my face. I was wondering if there was any way to counter his counter. I don't mind taking the first hit if I have to, but I don't want the right he throws to lead to a combo. If yall have any other tips about countering a counter, please put them here as well. Thanks.

I'm a rookie at boxing and I was hitting mitts with my trainer yesterday. I am 158lbs and I am 6'1". My trainer was around 5'5", 5"6 at the most but he is VERY quick. I would throw a jab and he would step back and counter my jab with a right while I was getting my hands back to my face. I was wondering if there was any way to counter his counter. I don't mind taking the first hit if I have to, but I don't want the right he throws to lead to a combo. If yall have any other tips about countering a counter, please put them here as well. Thanks.

Of course. A counter is just a punch and every punch can be countered. The best way to avoid the counter is to be active, good footwork and headmovement, non punching hand covering chin, punching hand coming back quickly. And your shot has to land.

Just work on the fundamentals. Your reflexes will improve. There's no grand strategy to countering the countering counter punch really.

well first of all you shouldnt give him the opportunity to counter your jab in the first place.

good thing about the jab is that its relatively safe and i think you should tighten your defense first (because when youre getting punished for only jabbing then your defense is still too bad ) instead of doing counter-counters or something! ^^

like the poster above said
you should implement feints (like feinting the jab) into your game though. keep the opponent guessing. it makes countering a lot harder for him.

While those vids show some good (albeit advanced) techniques, I'm not sure they really answer the original question... Which was how to defend or counter against a guy who is countering your jab with a right hand.

For example, if the guy is slipping your jab to the outside and throwing a right, I'm not sure if it would even work to shoulder roll and throw a shot to the body. Wouldn't you be in poor position to throw such a punch?

I feel I have to agree with the first three responses... I think if your jab is getting countered, you are either getting way too predictable with it, you're not working angles well, or your defense isn't tight enough to get your hands back in time...

That's my take anyway, but I'm still trying to develop a counter game myself and could be missing something.

as the gentleman above said,

1. feint a jab or throw like a half jab

2. being aware that he will counter you then shift your footwork into the correct position

3. punch him in the face

the foot work is gonna be the hard part I think if he is moving on you

double up on your jab

Triple up on your posts...

Just kidding :) Yeah, I've noticed recently that doubling up the jab helps me a lot in this scenario.

Fient, when he counters, counter his counter.

Winner.

Seriously, not that many people learn feints for some reason. There are SO many good feints it's ridiculous. You can catch much more experienced people by throwing fakes.

Get a mirror and practice feints while your shadowbox, and remember to always shadowbox in front of a mirror. Feints need to be convincing

- fake a high jab, following your fake up with your eyes (in case opponent is watching your eye movement) and then throw jab to the body
- shoulder roll: roll your right shoulder but immediately throw a jab. Or roll your left shoulder but immediately throw a straight
- Or draw your shoulder up instead of rolling it
- throw a dummy jab to measure distance, and while the jab blinds your opponent quickly step in and throw for real. However don't do this too often cause then your opponent learns to just throw immediately after your dummy jab and catch you
- step in without hitting: try to get a reaction. If you step in without hitting it screws up their rhythm. Or you step in and throw a fake, EXPECTING THE COUNTER. This way you just step in, fake, and perform your defense and it looks like you got SUPER REACTION SKILLZZZ <-- boxing's all about planning it out and executing the plan
- draw an elbow up. For example draw your right elbow up to expose the liver/solar plexus and then throw the jab

Basically the best way to get around a "speedster" or counterpuncher who's faster than you, is to make him flinch and THEN throw. DO SOMETHING that makes him make a move before you throw.

Winner.

Seriously, not that many people learn feints for some reason. There are SO many good feints it's ridiculous. You can catch much more experienced people by throwing fakes.

Get a mirror and practice feints while your shadowbox, and remember to always shadowbox in front of a mirror. Feints need to be convincing

- fake a high jab, following your fake up with your eyes (in case opponent is watching your eye movement) and then throw jab to the body
- shoulder roll: roll your right shoulder but immediately throw a jab. Or roll your left shoulder but immediately throw a straight
- Or draw your shoulder up instead of rolling it
- throw a dummy jab to measure distance, and while the jab blinds your opponent quickly step in and throw for real. However don't do this too often cause then your opponent learns to just throw immediately after your dummy jab and catch you
- step in without hitting: try to get a reaction. If you step in without hitting it screws up their rhythm. Or you step in and throw a fake, EXPECTING THE COUNTER. This way you just step in, fake, and perform your defense and it looks like you got SUPER REACTION SKILLZZZ <-- boxing's all about planning it out and executing the plan
- draw an elbow up. For example draw your right elbow up to expose the liver/solar plexus and then throw the jab

Basically the best way to get around a "speedster" or counterpuncher who's faster than you, is to make him flinch and THEN throw. DO SOMETHING that makes him make a move before you throw.

no, it's much more simple than all this above
(im sure that the guy who originally posted this wouldn't be asking such a question if he had the basic skills)

the solution:

a jab just like any punch
snap it off quickly, and quickly retract it back to your temple
practice, practice, practice.. and stop asking so many questions

anyone will counter off of a slow telegraph punch all day
doesn't matter if it's a jab, cross, hook whatever
out of the entire punch arsenal, the jab is the safest punch to throw
and if your opponent is countering off of it all the time, it means your jab or your left punch sucks

you gotta be careful not to let him counter ur counter-counter punch.

if he does, then try to counter his counter-counter-counter punch.

Back