How to control ADRENAL response?

Cardio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I get nervous sometimes before a fight, my limbs gum up and become slow...

Sometimes while training I am like a knockout machine, I feel I have the KO power to knockout almost anybody. But I have never attained that level in a competition.

Also, you know in the movies where a monster or some shit is chasing someone and they fall and you say, "Why are they falling!!!" Run stupid!!! Well I understand now, it's from fear/adrenaline. One time I was really being chased by a thug who had a 9mm and my legs just froze and I fell. I could only run at about 1/3 of my normal speed! I was like WTF.

Somebody please offer a solution to this adrenal response thing. I know elite fighters use mental preparation techniques and things to cope with this. The army/navy also trains it's fighters how to cope with this response.

This is something many fighters deal with, so if anyone has any insight on how to cope with this adrenalin and how to prevent it's slowing down the of body, please reply:

well, just to throw some quick info at you:
The human brain has two systems set up to deal with threat, High and Low road response. Low road response is the jerk/flinch reaction, like when you put your hand on something hot or think you stepped on a snake, you involuntarily startle and jerk away. High road response is the thinking response, where you have full control of the actions you take.
The thing to see here is that the low road response travels a shorter path in your brain, thus more often than not it responds first, taking away your ability to think. You may ask why you would have all this, but the fact is that for survival purposes a half second could get you killed or serioulsy injured, so the jerk has kept us alive for as long as we have been here.
Now, for countering out the jerk response, I am no expert, but I do not think you can train yourself that well to ignore the low and only use the high road (thus countering out the adrenalin dump to your system that happens when you use the jerk/flinch). What you can do, and what invariably happens to proffesional fighters, is that you modify your basic flinch to situation and replace it with different actions, so for instance, instead of closing your eyes (natural response to protect them) you raise your hands.
The point of this is that repetition and simulation will eventualy do it for you. Police and military have totaly different responses to threat than the average person, and it is for the two reasons above. Try to spend time before a fight visualising what will happen, the situations you will be in, and make it as real as possible while keeping your breathing steady and your body calm. If you are conditioned to the stimuli you will see that your trained flinch response (which is to cover, bring the barrel up and drop a quick three burst, ect) overides the freeze and tense one that you most likely use now.

randy watkins said:
Adrenaline works exactly like a turbo does on a car. let me give you a few examples if someone tells you that a guy is after you and is going to sort you out next time he sees you. You get a slow release of adrenaline over a couple of days or so. The other kind of adrenaline is when you have a pre fight adrenaline rush or an in fight rush which some people mistake for fear but its not its your bodys way of saying i need to move quicker and faster exactly like a cars turbo. But like all turbos it burns out very fast.The last one is the dreaded adrenaline dump or fight or flight syndrome example guy comes up to you in a bar and for no apprent reason gets in your face and says what the FUCK is your problem.Frist your body says shit im in trouble and i need adrenaline quick and dumps you full of it causing some people to freeze or like there legs wont move and stuck in glue.Learn to control the dump act cool breath slow and calm and the feeling in your legs will go. Remember hes feeling the same too just hes hiding and controling his dump better.
fff

Back