How to build a great Jiu Jitsu fighter?

Hey Iceman, why not just tell him to sign up to a good BJJ school in boston?

Soid said:

In fact there are lots of good mma gyms all over massachusetts. Check out the mma.tv listing.

Soid said:

Well for one thing, the commute. I train at the Boneyard because it's the closest thing to our town. That, and it's less expensive.

Iceman5592 said:
Well for one thing, the commute. I train at the Boneyard because it's the closest thing to our town. That, and it's less expensive.
Oh my bad. I figured he lived in a area where he could get pure BJJ since I thought that you said he'd be good for bjj. Good shit anyways man.

Soid said:
Oh my bad. I figured he lived in a area where he could get pure BJJ since I thought that you said he'd be good for bjj. Good shit anyways man.

It's cool. Actually we're starting to do a pure BJJ with gi class on Wednesdays. And of course there's the option of open mats on Saturdays and Sundays, where he can get private lessons or train with other people wearing gi's.

It's not really an incredibly formal environment. I mean we run classes and all. But at the end of class the mat's pretty much open. He could still roll and drill moves with the gi pretty frequently.

Wow man. Where were people like you when I was in high school. I was 5 feet tall and 100 pounds in grade 9 when I went to play football. got made fun of hardcore because of my size behind my back because of it. Good shit, hope your freind likes it

Xandas said:
Wow man. Where were people like you when I was in high school. I was 5 feet tall and 100 pounds in grade 9 when I went to play football. got made fun of hardcore because of my size behind my back because of it. Good shit, hope your freind likes it
Agreed. I'm in highschool now and although I'm not really small, I don't discriminate on a person's size or color when it comes to friends. Unfortunantly a large majority of my school does. I wish we had more dudes like Iceman in my hs. Definently the type of character I would like to chill and roll with.

try to get a hold of some bjj dvd's and books

btw, you sound like a true friend iceman

I know a lot of people are saying the basics, the basics, and I agree, but you also need to show him some submissions to get him hooked. He needs to feel a submission and the effect it can cause and then go for them as well.

Submission is the part that gets the beginners hooked man.

Hello....Show him like the first 4 UFCs....Royce kicking ass...that's classic David vs Goliath
Even Better, Bob Sapp vs Noguiera

Oh yeah tell him it's gonna suck for about 3-6 months 'till you put it together. You don't want this kid to start quitting out of frustration.

You're a good man!

im the smallest one on the wrestling team but funny thing is i dont get picked on its mostly our 171 pounder i feel kinda bad for him. but we all just play around for fun. Thats pretty messed up about ur wrestling team.

bjjfighter91 said:
im the smallest one on the wrestling team but funny thing is i dont get picked on its mostly our 171 pounder i feel kinda bad for him. but we all just play around for fun. Thats pretty messed up about ur wrestling team.

My HS wrestling team was pretty bad when it came to picking on kids. One of my friends was on the team and he said they used to torture this one small dude on the team. They used to push him into the mud when they were running outside, make fun of his miniscule voice "I joined wrestling 'cuz I needed and excuse to touch guys' asses."

This made me hesistant about joining wrestling in HS. But I wish I did in retrospect. Maybe if I did, I wouldn't lose on points at tourneys because I would actually be able to take somebody down or at least defend a takedown.

I was picked on school but now i think of it I know who are my real friends.

Icman you a gentlman and man of action and that good.
I really appreicate it

Update -

Aw man. Jigar's mom wouldn't let him come. It's understandable, though. They're relatively new to the country, you can tell because his English is very strained. Apparently his dad is still in India and is having trouble getting here because of bird flu? I couldn't quite understand what he said about that. But I think his mom is just uncomfortable about sending him a half hour away with someone she doesn't know.

I told him I'd teach him out of my house for the time being. We were at a wrestling tournament at Lowell on Saturday, and he got pinned really quickly in his two matches. But the strange thing was, because he wrestles off of instinct and doesn't know really any moves, he grabbed his opponents high and accidentally jumped guard on both of them. This was just instinctive for him. I think when he finally learns BJJ and can fight from there, it's going to be a relief.

Oh, by the way, Soulfly and his friend came to the Boneyard today. Awesome time rolling with both of them. It's cool to finally meet someone else who's on Sherdog. Hope to see you both back soon!

Iceman5592 said:
Oh, by the way, Soulfly and his friend came to the Boneyard today. Awesome time rolling with both of them. It's cool to finally meet someone else who's on Sherdog. Hope to see you both back soon!

It was really fun. I don't know why I didn't go sooner - it's so close. I wish your friend had come though, I would have been good to roll with him.
Anyway, I'll definetly be back soon this next Sunday

This is a very commendable thing you are doing.

Thread of the year nominee.

Yeah, too bad his mother didn't let him go to the gymn with you, boneyard's a good gymn, I plan in joining in 2 months or so.
Can't u teach him at your house? Or stay a lil bit more on the mats after the wrestling practice is done, so u can teach him some bjj?

I think if you not oly teach him BJJ because it not very effective with multiple oppenets. There should be some striking training if you wanna make him a fighter.

In school fight sometimes he will meet people who fight in gangs so you gotta take that on consideration.

Back