how to beat JDS

Tea Cake

the cake is a lie.
Reaction score
the counter puncher version JDS can be beat with these:

- head movement
- pressure (striking/takedown)

now thats IF JDS keeps his counter punching style next time we see him

now i havnt watched enough overeem but if he can do those, he'l win if not hes getting ko

for ex. if overeem leaves his head open (no headmovement) when he uses pressure (will prob be all striking with no takedown) hes going to sleep.

Nobody is gonna be able to keep the pressure like Cain did.

Jds is gonna go undefeated for a while. The only one who can beat him is Cain.

Others will try and copy what Cain did. It will be interesting to see if they have any success.

And who is the only one who can defeat Cain?

the counter puncher version JDS can be beat with these:

- head movement
- pressure (striking/takedown)

now thats IF JDS keeps his counter punching style next time we see him

now i havnt watched enough overeem but if he can do those, he'l win if not hes getting ko

for ex. if overeem leaves his head open (no headmovement) when he uses pressure (will prob be all striking with no takedown) hes going to sleep.

So what you're saying is 'don't leave your head open when you rush in against a boxer'

thanks for clearing that up.

I'm pretty sure that although that recipe is true, not many can do it aside from Cain. The pace that Cain sets is intense.

Cormier may have that skill as well, but I'd like to see if in the UFC and such.

I think Cain and JDS can trade the belt back and forth for a bit. JDS should come back from this with a great idea of what to change within his style, Cain will return with a LOT of confidence.

So what you're saying is 'don't leave your head open when you rush in against a boxer'

thanks for clearing that up.

yep thats how easy it is to beat JDS yet fighters always gets hit. funny how something so simple didnt work for many fighters. cain did the pacman approach, pressure with head movement because like pac he can (speed adv/cardio adv)

how many heavies have that against jds? prob none

Junior probably. Overeem doesn't have the speed, plus he would gas instantly.

He has the power and the knees to punish a wrestler. While he can't keep Cain's pace, he has a good shot at ending the fight early with the way Cain is reckless with his defense. It will be an interesting fight.

Others will try and copy what Cain did. It will be interesting to see if they have any success.

Agreed. I think sadly it will look like when KenFlo tried to beat BJ for the LW title by employing the GSP strategy and I think we all saw how that went.

Completely agree, I don't think anyone can beat Junior other than Cain.

And who is the only one who can defeat Cain?

Probably Junior. Overeem got tagged by Werdum plenty of times and gases too quickly.

Id like to see you test your theory on JDS

You have to pressure with a varied approach: takedowns and striking. Overeem will stalk, but it's a 1 dimensional attack that JDS deals with very well. It's that looming threat of a TD that messes with guys like JDS (and just about any other sprawl and brawl fighter). They wait for the TD with a wide stance, hands low, hoping to stuff and then light them up. This strategy crumbles when the wrestler can strike like Cain and GSP.

JDS has commented on this and I think you'll seem him less concerned with stopping the TD, and more concerned with pushing his own offense. He'll rely on his jiu jitsu to bail him out of take downs.

Basically I don't feel that JDS was exposed and will likely remain a top 3 HW. Few men, if any, can replicate what Cain does.

Problem with JDS is that he relies too much on the overhand right and the uppercut. Outside of that, he's just not doing a whole lot, especially not when someone's bringing the heat to him.

Back