How to avoid ringworm

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by MrNN, Aug 17, 2015.

1. MrNN

MrNN White Belt

So ringworm is spreading like wildfire in my gym. So I was looking for ways to avoid ringworm at the gym in the future. Found a lot of people are using tea tree oil, which apparently is also an ingredient in defence soap.
    Found some information on this site: http://teatreeolja.com/how-to-avoid-ringworm-in-grappling-with-tea-tree-oil/

Anyone here has any experience using tea tree to fight the evil that is ringworm?

2. Forceof1

Forceof1 Blue Belt

How and how often are the mats being cleaned?

3. MrNN

MrNN White Belt

Almost everyday, thats the strange part. We had some visitors from other gyms maybe they brought that along?

4. EGDM

EGDM Blue Belt

Emphasis mine. Your gym is unsanitary. Mats should be cleaned, with anti-microbial solution (ie, bleach or equivalent), at a minimum every day, if not after every session. The longer the mats sit warm, wet, and dirty, the worse it gets. Some of the worst fungi and bacteria have a reproductive doubling time of twenty minutes. Let that shit sit for 24 hours and you might as well trian in a petri dish.

5. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

Step 1. Shower IMMEDIATELY after class. As soon as possible. Don't go get lunch, or to the store, or whatever. Go home and shower ASAP.

Step 2. I always shower with Defense Soap, followed by a hydrating body wash after training. And toss my wash clothes into the washer after each time.

Step 3. Wash your gear ASAP after training. My clothes go right into the wash, including my gi.

Step 4. Mats should be cleaned EVERY SINGLE CLASS. We use this every day. Don't just mop the mats like you mop your kitchen floor. We put a little extra liquid down on the mat so it it really has time to work and kill everything. This stuff is anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  6. cjd

cjd Blue Belt

while it's important to keep the mats clean - it's way more important everyone show up in clean gear and you keep people with ringworm off the mats

7. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

Another thing, more geared toward Staph rather than ringworm: do not shave either right before or right after class.

8. Bayonet

Bayonet Blue Belt

Completely agree.

Print this off and tape a copy on every wall in your gym. Hand it out to new guys on day one. Publicly shame anyone who doesn't abide by it.

One would think that most humans would have a decent sense of hygiene, and would apply that to grappling, but I've seen some gis that made me want to vomit. :How not to be a dirty fucker" should be the subject of your first class.

Also, what have you guys found to be the best cleaner when weighing disinfecting power vs allergy/chemical stink?

9. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

The club I'm with now uses Husky Arena Cleaner at a ratio of 2 oz. per gallon (the guy at the janitorial store we buy it from said anymore cleaner than that and you are wasting it). It has a light smell when you open the container but once in water and on the mats it doesn't stink at or leave a residue. We sweep and mop before every class and in the 2+ years I've been with them only one guy got ringworm once (just recently too).

But like I said, we actually have to put liquid down on the floor and let it steep like your making tea lol. You're not picking up the germs off the floor, you are basically stewing them in the cleaner until they die.

Now they get mopped well enough before class starts that they can naturally air dry all the way. But back when it was right before class, we would put the liquid down with one mop (that only was used for cleaner) and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then someone would go over it with a clean dry cotton mop to soak up the excess so it would air dry.

Basically, it just seems you have to allow some amount of liquid some amount of time to do its work every day.

EDIT
    Sorry I thought I posted the pic of the stuff in my last post. Updated now.

10. Dayman1984

Dayman1984 Purple Belt Platinum Member

Good advice. Shaving equals tiny cuts. Tiny cuts= increased sites for bacterial invasion.

11. TX Fighter

TX Fighter Green Belt

Get a refund for the month and train somewhere else until they get it figured out

Ringworm is disgusting

12. GordoBarraBJJ

GordoBarraBJJ Yellow Card Yellow Card

I use Dr. Bronner's tea tree oil soap.

In the past i have used selsun blue shampoo as a body wash.

wash your gi asap - if you're not going to wash it right away lysol spray it and hang it up. Would not recommend leaving it more that a day even if you're hanging it up.

I pretty much always wash might right after training. occasionally I'll spray it and hang it till the next day.

I use tide with color safe bleech or tide sport.

13. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

you need to make sure anyone who has ringworm isn't training until it is cleared or it really doesn't matter what kinda soap you use to clean yourself.

make sure those who have it are treating it an antifungal ointment.

tea tree oil/defense soap/good hygiene will help prevent future infections, but if you have what basically sounds like an outbreak and people training with stigmata on their skin, none of that will matter.

14. TX Fighter

TX Fighter Green Belt

This

I take lots of preventative measures, but I would not train if I knew ringworms was making its rounds and infected people were still training

I wash my gi after each practice

I shower with defense soap as soon as I can

Dry myself very well

And actually no joke, I dont put a shirt on (just stay in my boxers) the rest of the night, so that my body doesnt stay moist under a shirt, keeping myself as dry as possible

15. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Dial soap. The soap of champions. The soap my wrestling coach told me to use after contracting ringworm 15 years ago. Have never had it since.

16. TX Fighter

TX Fighter Green Belt

I dont know if defense works better than dial

For bjj, most evidence seems anecdotal in regards to soap

But I definitely feel better using defense. It helps me feel more confident that I am minimizing my chances of ringworm. Sure, its more expensive. But over the course of a year, it doesnt add that much cost, and is cheap in comparison to class and gear costs for bjj

So defense may or may not be better than your usual bar soap. I think there is a good chance it fights ringworm better, and I am willing to pay the difference for that possibility

In the end, I still think that if youre rolling in a ringworm infested class, your soap may not matter

17. Defense Soap

Defense Soap Orange Belt