how to attack the bottom leg from a standing knee bar entry

snakeybizz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I have a really specific thing I need help with if anyone could help that would be great.... Basically I always want to be attacking the bottom leg in a knee bar position

but when I'm standing I don't know how to attack and land so I am on the bottom leg, for example this is how it goes:

we are clinched... I am standing southpaw...I drop to my right shoulder and underhook his leg with my head just to the outside of his foot...I pull with the underhook hand, lift my hips up and my right leg wraps around then my left leg goes through the middle and wraps around...but when we land I am attacking the top leg...is there a way to stop this ?

the reason why it is so important to attack the bottom leg is because there is a really cool transition to the sambo leg knot from a knee bar position if you are attacking the bottom leg

EDIT: I'm not sure if its a problem with the entry or the way I sweep off the entry...there is a way you can modify the entry so you land attacking the bottom leg but it is so awkward to do...basically you drop to the left shoulder instead of the right

Last edited:
Why not use a Victor roll entry?

that is a good one and definitely solves my problem...I just fear the sprawl as a lot of people do

I kinda prefer the pull x guard type one I go for at the moment...because If I don't get the knee bar for whatever reason I'm either in X guard or the opponents pull his leg out and disengages at which point I can get up

Right now I am like an upside down koala bear clinging on his right leg..I need to sweep him off to the right (from the perspective of looking at the technique) so I land on bottom but the natural way to sweep would be to the left

I might have to just force my self to sweep to the right see If I can make it less awkward with practice

aint nobody sprawling on a flying kneebah if your grip is good. they can't move their feet once you commit. too much weight.

Do you want to keep it IBJJF legal? If not, you can rotate around to the outside into a reverse heel hook style reap, sweeping him backwards as if completing an Imanari roll or kani basami. Once you're on the ground, you can choose if you want the low side kneebar, reverse HH or reverse half top.

Back