How to arrange my schedule (Weightlifting + boxing)

Torak

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ive been doing full body workout for several months. Now I wanted to really switch it up and I started a body part split. Its like this:
Monday - Back
Tuesday - Chest + abs
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Legs + abs
Friday - Shoulders + arms
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

But I thought I would change it to:
Monday - Vertical pull + Biceps
Tuesday - Chest + abs
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Shoulders + abs
Friday - Horizontal pull + triceps
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

I dont want to lift weights to help my performance in a specific sport at this moment. Right now, my main purpose is gain strength and look good. However, I want to add boxing 2x a week because of my passion for this sport since I used to do it in the past. I would like to focus more on technical aspects in boxing than conditioning, so it doesnt hinder my progress in the gym too much.
I would like to use boxing to:
1.improve my technique in all aspects of boxing
2.improve my cardio (since I dont do any right now)
3.keep some level of athletism

Which days do you think I should add boxing? Or how should I arrange my schedule. I repeat that my priority is not boxing right now, its just for my pure pleasure from the sport.

Monday – Heavy Press / Light Bench / Triceps

· Heavy Press 3 x 5 / 3 x 3 / 3 x 1

· Close Grip Bench Press 3 x 5-8*

· Lying Tricep Extension (LTE) w/ barbell or ez curl bar 2-3 x 8-10 or Cable Pressdowns

· Overhead Tricep Extension w/ dumbbell (single arm) 2-3 x 10-12

*CGB should be done in a range between 5-8 reps. N in weight when at least ONE set hits 8 reps, and no set drops below 5 reps. Rest 5 minutes between work sets.

Tuesday – Heavy Squat / Upper Back

· Heavy Squat 3 x 5 / 3 x 3 / 3 x 1

· Pull Ups, Chin Ups, or Lat Pulldowns 3-5 x 8-12 or 3-5 sets max reps of chins/pull ups

· Barbell Rows or One Arm DB Rows 2-3 x 10-12

· Barbell Curls or DB Curls 3-4 x 8-12

*Rows should be done with straps

Thursday – Light Press / Heavy Bench + Chest supplemental (hypertrophy)

· Light Press 5 x 3*

· Bench Press 3 x 5 / 3 x 3 / 3 x 1

· Incline Dumbbell Press 2-3 x 8-10

· Decline DB Press 2-3 x 8-10 (only a very slight decline; prop end of bench up on about a 3 inch platform for decline angle)

*Light Press is done for 5 sets of 3 reps. Weight is 5-10% LESS than last heavy 3x5 press workout. Rest time is kept to 1 or 2 minutes and the focus is on BAR SPEED. So if you completed 3x5x185 last cycle then your light press will be about 5x3x165 with 2 min rest and an EXPLOSIVE bar speed. Keep the same weight for the whole cycle and work on increasing speed each week. Bump the weight up every time you complete a new 3x5 heavy workout.

Incline & Decline combo will build the chest nicely.

Friday – Light Squat / Heavy Deadlift

· Light Squat 5 x 3 (same protocol as light press. Use 10-20% reduction from heavy squat day)

· Deadlift 3 x 5 / 3 x 3 / 3 x 1 (5-10 minute rest between sets)

· Stiff leg Deadlift 1-2 x 6-8 (5-8 minute rest between sets)

· Barbell Shrugs 3 x 15-20

Deadlifts should use straps on the 5s and 3s week to save the CNS. Pull all your singles without straps. If grip is weak, then do your first set of deadlifts each week without straps, then use straps for sets 2 and 3. Volume deadlifts should always use straps or you will burn out your CNS. Stiff leg deads and shrugs should also use straps. Stiff leg deadlifts should be done STRICT with an emphasis on working the hamstrings. Go up in weight when at least 1 set hits 8 reps and the second set does not drop below 6 reps.

arrange the days as you see fit....percentages should be roughly 80, 85, 95% on there respective days do the boxing on off days and even better you could just make this a 3 day routine and combine two of the days

Volume deadlifts should always use straps or you will burn out your CNS.

Could you explain this?

I thought "burning out your CNS" is something that is only possible from massive overtraining, particularly involving very high intensities. And that generally it requires mobilizing a lot of motor neurons, which means big muscles. As I understand it, straps just make it easier on your grip- they wouldn't make it less likely that you overtrained. And higher rep/lower weight deadlifts aren't intrinsically the sort of thing that creates a risk of overtraining- the worry would be too many 95% days, or too many 95% days close to too many heavy squat days.

Happy to be corrected though. Come here to learn etc.

It is not so easily explained other than to say that the deadlift(and other heavy pulls)can be so deadly to the CNS because of the way it taxes the grip. Using straps gives you a "grip-sparing" result. This is the same reason that heavy farmers walks are really not a good exercise for a power lifter to be doing.

From pure speculation it is probably because of all of the nerve endings involved with the hand and how it is so intrinsically wired to our fine-motor-skills.

Back