How the UFC could gain popularity

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Mike Oak, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Mike Oak

Mike Oak Blue Belt

I think it's safe to say that the general consensus assumed that the UFC on fox deal would have a similar effect that the ultimate fighter had on the UFC. Many believed that the fox deal would take the sport to the next level, but so far that has not happened. I believe that the reason for this is that the average person simply doesn't recognize many UFC fighters. In all honesty, only a few fighters are universally recognized such as Liddell for his trademark mohawk, Tito for his relationship with Jenna, Couture for his roles in movies, and Anderson/GSP for being on top of the UFC for as long as they've been. My belief is that the primetime specials, UFC countdowns, and anything else that personally deals with the fighters should be aired on Fox instead of just Fuel tv. Name value is what gets people into the sport. I personally got into mma because I recognized Ken Shamrock from pro wrestling. Many sherdoggers are on here because of Brock Lesnar. Once people get to know the of the fighters, they will definitely be more interested in their upcoming matches. Thoughts? How else could the popularity grow?

2. phoenixikki

phoenixikki Black Belt

3. Zlatan1

Zlatan1 Brown Belt

Fighters with exciting/eccentric personalities. Cain is a machine, but his personality isn't exciting (although he seems like a cool guy). The average person won't remember or recognize him.

The UFC should hire Apple marketing experts - these guys can sell and hype every useless shit Apple has ever made.

4. chamchamtrigger

chamchamtrigger Brown Belt

With the new women's division, they could make the PPV fights all topless. Instant ratings.

5. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

it is a niche sport. different sports have varying ceilings and being put on fox as a side show is where the ufc's ceiling (along with the ppv market). it is in the same boat as the extreme sports that nbc or cbs shows on slower sports weekends (like skiiing, motocross, etc)

6. Sakurabas Ear

Sakurabas Ear Brown Belt

So put some glitter on every UFC fighter who is a carbon copy of the other and let them loose on the public....I LIKE IT!

7. bmasters1993

bmasters1993 Brown Belt

sold

8. Zlatan1

Zlatan1 Brown Belt

Yes and some epic PRIDE entrances.

9. sp00k

sp00k 5 Steps Lower

yeS

10. ufcbrass

ufcbrass Orange Belt

if cyborg were on the card, i would pay not to have to watch. its win/win for them with this.

11. Clubfingers

Clubfingers Black Belt

I don't think there is anything they can do to gain much more popularity, in the States.

Anyone who loves watching fights, already watches. Everyone has been exposed to it and decided if it's for them, and you can't lure someone into being entertained by a ballet of violence, if they don't have the traits to enjoy it on their own.

The only thing that will really help, is time. UFC controls the younger crowd, and when this generation grows older, they will have a new younger crowd AND the older crowd.

What they can do, is keep going for international growth and exposing it to new markets, which is already happening.

12. skylolow

skylolow Silver Belt

This is pretty spot on.

Young kids seem quite entertained with MMA. I've notice most people don't really stop watching MMA like many do with pro wrestling. So through time numbers should grow.

International growth is growing and will continue.

Plus the FOX deal will help over time. It's hard to just automatically get people to spend $50 on a PPV especially with the questionable PPV's over the last year with all the injuries. I think if you had UFC 100 today you'd see where that FOX TV deal would push that number easily an extra 500K in buys.

13. eforrest04

eforrest04 Brown Belt

Personality for some of them is the biggest issue. You will not get a show like primetime or countdown on fox maybe maybe FX if we are lucky. Best bet is for Fox to get Fuel in more households and in HD so more people see it. Promoting the shows on fox would be a great idea though.

14. Grappling Magic

Grappling Magic SAKU BELT

So from almost political extinction to growing into a $2Billion company is Your interpretation of not gaining popularity ??? Please pass whatever You are smoking, T.S. !

15. Cazadores

Cazadores Banned Banned

I think it's a little early to tell how well the UFC holds it's youngest viewers.

He's obviously talking about the time from the start of the Fox deal you dim wit.