How the hell do you absorb it all?

Not uncommon. Six months in and I know I know certain stuff, but from not repping it or having a chance to do it while rolling, I can't say that I know how to do such-and-such sweep.

Basically know how you learn. Like if you have to do it to remember it, that learn by doing it. If you are an audio learner, you have to say the steps in your head. Visual learner, visualize yourself doing it over and over again while you are learning.

The whole Idea is to drill the move such that it becomes second nature or automatic. You may have to think "okay, I've got him mounted, now what?" but at least you will know how to do one or two moves a first. Then through years of training, you will learn several.

practice, practice, and more practice. go to class all the time. buy an inexpensive ($300) grappling dummy online and practice moves, and just keep doing them over and over again, sooner or later you will get them, hopefully sooner.

I just did an introduction to BJJ last night at a local gym. It was an hour long where an instructor and one of her students worked with me on the basics I would need to know to get going in their regular classes.

First off; I've never done anything like this before, no highschool wrestling, no martial arts, I'm a complete newb. But it was awesome, I really loved it. My question is how the hell do you absorb everything you're taught? I find myself sitting here this morning thinking about everything I learned last night trying my hardest to remember each step I was shown. I was shown a buck and roll, scissor sweep, a pass from guard to side control, side control to mount and the basic mechanics of a choke / armbar.

Again it was so much fun, but how do you deal with such a large amount of knowledge that is out of your realm of understanding when you first started out? Also, does everyone look like a real dumbass when they attempt to learn how to forward shrimp? Or just me? I could not for the life of me grasp wtf that was about.

Anyway, I had a great time and can't wait to go back.

Haven't read the rest of the replies, so apologies if I'm repeating, but to answer...

Two words: Muscle memory.

Buy a copy of Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu-Jitsu University book and put it under your pillow. When you sleep at night, the knowledge will seep into your head automatically. Don't believe all these people that talk about 'hard work', 'discipline', or 'showing up to class'...that's pure nonsense.

It's based on the concept my JJJ sensei loved to spout: "Throw all the shit at the wall, see what sticks, and work from there."

But, seriously, you need to gut it out class after class for some time to be able to absorb all the little details. I know I sure don't pick up 75% of those small details.

You end up being aware of a lot of techniques. Then you choose which ones you like and master them. I think a lot of BJJ practitioners have not mastered a great deal of the moves. It's just not possible.

Back