How the hell can fighters be dumb enough not to promote their events?

losing in boxing does not effect him...if he went out and played golf tournement, would that effect him also..different sport...
Don't fool yourself. It made him look like a helpless big mouth

Attachments

• DlueE8jUUAETQPV.jpeg
    DlueE8jUUAETQPV.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1
Why would someone training for a cage fight not spend all their time talking to media? It's definitely not because they have to train for said cage fight. Definitely not.

Life's imponderables

Don't fool yourself. It made him look like a helpless big mouth
1. Conor was never going to win and even he knew that
2. If you take trash talking seriously, maybe WWE is more up your alley?
3. He made more in one night than most of us will make in a lifetime, so no matter if he won the fight or lost, he still won in the end

Your hate blinds you.

A fighter does promos, interviews, press conferencing, and such to promote their fight. This publicity makes money for the company and fighter by bringing attention to their event.

By doing these promotional and contractual obligations the fighter is really also helping raise his stock and overall pay.

Why the hell would a fighter be dumb enough to forgo doing these when it's their paycheck that is directly affected?

Also, if a fighter puts themselves at odds with their company/bosses it can be detrimental in the future. If someone like Conor keeps winning he's got the power, but if he has even 1 loss, it could cost him.
I have a theory that conor isnt getting the PPV % that he wanted for this fight.

Thats why he isnt doing promotion as usual. He is pressuring the UFC to accept his terms for the next ones.

Why the hell would a fighter be dumb enough to forgo doing these when it's their paycheck that is directly affected?

Also, if a fighter puts themselves at odds with their company/bosses it can be detrimental in the future. If someone like Conor keeps winning he's got the power, but if he has even 1 loss, it could cost him.
Conor is at a point in his career where he wants to be paid to promote. He's said it before. "I'm not yet paid to promote.". He believes his methods and promotional abilities far outstrip the UFC and he should be getting a much bigger piece of the pie.

He is also very good at knowing and demonstrating his value. He will quite willingly allow a card to underperform in order that he can make a revenue comparison between when he does promote and when he doesn't. "Look, when I promoted a card it sold 2m PPVs. When I didn't promote, it sold 1.5m. If you want me to promote in future you need to give me a bigger cut of those 500k extra PPVs."

Conor was pulled from UFC 200 for this. specifically, he learned from the Nate loss that touring instead of training hurt him overall in the grand scheme of things.

you can argue with his logic if you want. but i would counter that he's more familiar with all the nuances of these issues than you are.

but he is an anomaly. he is one of the few that makes more money by fighting less, and other counter-intuitive things. for most or all other fighters who a) get points and b) tend to sell enough PPV's to profit from said points (the small handful of them), i tend to agree.

Have people seen Conor's contract to assume he gets ppv points, my impression listening to him he was building up to getting a lump sum guaranteed and equity, as opposed to PPV points.

The UFC, as a global sport, just needs to do a better job of embracing technology. Flying fighters to a location to do a press conference is antiquated and messes with their training. Just do a video conference. Then the fighters can insult each other all they want, training time is not interrupted, and no bottles or dollies can be thrown.

This is a company which still does conference calls with 1950's sound quality, I don't think they've figured out what technology is.

Have people seen Conor's contract to assume he gets ppv points, my impression listening to him he was building up to getting a lump sum guaranteed and equity, as opposed to PPV points.
we have every reason to believe he gets both big lump sum and points.

whereas some fighters get just a lump sum, like Hunt (which explains why he's content fighting on fightpass & FS1)

but no, i have no source for you. only all evidence suggesting it.

Conor was pulled from UFC 200 for this. specifically, he learned from the Nate loss that touring instead of training hurt him overall in the grand scheme of things.

you can argue with his logic if you want. but i would counter that he's more familiar with all the nuances of these issues than you are.

but he is an anomaly. he is one of the few that makes more money by fighting less, and other counter-intuitive things.

I don't think going on these huge press tours does too much for publicity other than hurting your ability to train comfortably.

But there are ways to promote yourself and build a following other than going on publicity tours. You can get your personality out there much easier with social media. Fighters like Mayhem, Felice, Guida were able to get legit endorsement deals and things going for themselves. Of course Mayhem completely ruined it.

Tony's crazy videos have made me a fan.

I can give two fux whether or not the fighters promote their fights. Half the time they say annoying sh*t anyways. I only care they’re there when the bell rings.

Back