How terrible is the UFC at promoting?

Iroh

The Dragon of the West
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Compare this UFC promo...

...with this independently made promo.

There probably are more promos for this fight that are better than the official one. Not to mention the turrble and generic poster game the UFC has.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

It's as if they like they hate breaking records. Their posters and promo videos bar a select few have all been absolute dogshit.

Promoting doesn't seem to be their specialty. When they want to get behind a fighter they are usually good but it is few and far.

Promoting doesn't seem to be their specialty. When they want to get behind a fighter they are usually good but it is few and far.
When they want to? Why don’t they usually want to?

That's just the announcement trailer. Wait til UFC releases the actual promo.

Aldo vs. McGregor official promo was dope AF. Rousey vs. Holm official promo was dope AF. The UFC absolutely kills when they want to, the problem is they know 90% PPV cards are simply not worth the effort since they're not gonna sell anyway.

They're awful at it. Honestly, the Contender series has waaaaay better promos/build-up to the fight than actual fs1/fox/ppv events. Its pathetic considering this is now led by a group of hollywood agents that should know how to do this kinda stuff?

I don’t see the other one as being a better official video than the ufc one. I’m pumped from both.

They haven't even started promoting that fight.

That's just the announcement trailer. Wait til UFC releases the actual promo.

Aldo vs. McGregor official promo was dope AF. Rousey vs. Holm official promo was dope AF. The UFC absolutely kills when they want to,

Even then it could be way better for an announcement promo. Only really great one I would call the Jones vs DC 2 promo. I should rewatch the ones you mentioned though.

Oh and the Eddie vs Conor was really good too.

the problem is they know 90% PPV cards are simply not worth the effort since they're not gonna sell anyway.

That kind of defeatist mentality is what brings in these terrible PPV rates, not the other way around,

They haven't even started promoting that fight.

That promo is what I would call a start. Also premiering it at the end of the presser felt flat to me personally.

Last edited:
Terrible.
They're fallen into the classic corporate marketing trap of developing a template as the organization standard and fitting every promo and poster to those templates regardless of the narrative or gravity of the fight. I mean we'll rarely get something super creative, but even that usually pales in comparison to fanmade stuff.
It's so weird because the UFC's buisness model is based on independently marketing individual events - but I think during the UFC's boom like around UFC 100 they got into the mindset that they could put zero effort into marketing and sell the fight regardless.

That's why they are where they are now. They have just enough brand recognition and few enough stars that they're in this weird space that when they do produce something creative and fresh non-UFC fans don't know what the promo is even for until the end of the promo when they've already lost interest. So they're trapped being wholly reliant on the name recognition of individual fights to sell fights, except they're so bad at marketing at the moment that they can't create stars to save their life they have to back into them with special freaks like Conor and Jon Jones - or hope they get some smasher like Khabib to say something crazy on the mic.

No wonder they jump on every fighter controversy to take onto the front of promos, from "Yo Mamma Got Tickets" press conference punch, to *insert Jon Jones transgression here* to Conor throwing a dolly. They spend so little on marketing that they can't create or capture an organic narrative at all, they have to hope for some big splashy media event that everyones already heard of to push their campaigns along.

Man how awesome it would've been if the Rizin production crew did the promotional videos for this fight.
I will never understand how a multi billion dollar company has such bland and uninteresting production.

I don’t see the other one as being a better official video than the ufc one. I’m pumped from both.

I'm pumped just because of the fight itself. The promo was alright, IMO. But "alright" is far from what a fight of this magnitude deserves.

Even then it could be way better for an announcement promo. Only really great one I would call the Jones vs DC 2 promo. I should rewatch the ones you mentioned though.

Oh and the Eddie vs Conor was really good too.

The Ronda and Conor promos were both incredibly well received. Ronda vs. Holm promo even got an Emmy nomination.

That kind of defeatist mentality is what brings in these terrible PPV rates, not the other way around,

It's smart business to look at potential ROI on different PPVs and not over commit on cards with subpar potential returns. Any PPV card would sell better if more resources are put into marketing it, but the UFC has limited promotional resources and they need to spend them in a way to maximize overall profit.

Compare this UFC promo...

...with this independently made promo.

There probably are more promos for this fight that are better than the official one. Not to mention the turrble and generic poster game the UFC has.

Will be hard to beat that, pretty damn good

They should promote the shit out of cejudo too.
-Just beat the p4p king
-a fucking gold medalist
-mexican
-wants to move up and fight tj.

Back