How tall & Heavy are you ?

Yep you got a point. Still it's must require the right genetics + a lot of dedication to find enough time to train properly pure strength, conditioning, training in your sport(s) and on top of that to follow the proper diet.
At the end of the day we do what we do in accordance with our goals, time we can dedicate to train and as well what we are good/gifted at.
About 2 hours a week, is all you need to get stronger. At your numbers you might see gains at 1 hour a week.

At what body weight are those lifts done? 400 lbs = 182 kg. Are you telling me that anyone should be able to pull that, when most people are 70-85 kg ? (actually probably lower than that on a global scale). If I'm 90 kg and pull 2x bw, I'm weak?

Are you crazy? Or maybe you spend too much time in the gym and actually forgot how strong you can be when you don't lift regularly.
This was me after about 9 months of squat and dead lift training (not even consistently) No belt either.
I was about 67 kg (~148lbs) walk around weight then at ~5'9"/175 cm and doing cardio/grappling/judo (I weighed in at 65 kg/143 lbs typically by skipping breakfast), and competed at 61kg/135lbs MMA before that.

About 2 hours a week, is all you need to get stronger. At your numbers you might see gains at 1 hour a week.

I actually do a full body circuit once per Week (+- 1h30) sometime I skip running/biking in the Week end and do another one...
+ 3 BJJ training ( 5h)
+ 1 to 2 h run or mountain bike

I don't feel weak when I train ( I used to compete in Judo and even then didn't feel weak in my weight class) but have to say that to be as strong as you are, I would need to dedicate all my time on strength&conditioning training and would need to eat all the time..(I already have to eat a lot stay at 77-78kg)

I am in my 30s with 2nd kid coming this spring, can't find more time to train anymore...

But yep I agree with most of your previous post

I actually do a full body circuit once per Week (+- 1h30) sometime I skip running/biking in the Week end and do another one...
+ 3 BJJ training ( 5h)

I don't feel weak when I train ( I used to compete in Judo and even then didn't feel weak in my weight class) but have to say that to be as strong as you are, I would need to dedicate all my time on strength&conditioning training and would need to eat all the time..(I already have to eat a lot stay at 77-78kg)

I am in my 30s with 2nd kid coming this spring, can't find more time to train anymore...

Also in my 30s and I have 4 kids. I've never spent more than 3 hours a week on strength training. Perhaps it's your program/training and not the amount of time that is the issue.

+ 3 BJJ training ( 5h)

A 2 day strength template can run about an 1h, if you decide to add some volume on the accessory work, it might go to 1.5h.

As for eating, you can eat less frequent, but larger meals (3x a day vs 5-6). As long as you are in a caloric surplus, the timing doesn't matter.

If you are constantly eating and feeling full and stuffed by the end of the day, yet can't gain weight, its because your activity level is very high; Either: eat more to make up for it, or drop something to keep things aligned. eg. training 6 days a week, drop it to 5 or 4. Or you train 4 days a week x2 a day, cut out two of the AM sessions, etc

Also in my 30s and I have 4 kids. I've never spent more than 3 hours a week on strength training. Perhaps it's your program/training and not the amount of time that is the issue.[/Q
4 kids and still time to train, respect:) I already feel like I never stop, between work, my wife, my son, training, things to fix/add in the house/garden, the friends....
Guess my main issue is that days are too short...

Thanks for the advise by the way

What programm makes you stringer with 2 or even 1 hour a week? My progress has slwoed down to the point where I'm barely making progress and I have novice levels of strength (started at complete dogshit)

What programm makes you stringer with 2 or even 1 hour a week? My progress has slwoed down to the point where I'm barely making progress and I have novice levels of strength (started at complete dogshit)
While also training for sport, I had my best results with the 5/3/1 2 day split.

531 2 day template with the bare essentials (triumvirate).
Remember, he wrote that to Foxflechette57, who doesn't lift, so newb gains and progress would be in full effect, obviously to the more exp. lifters thats not enough.
Foxflechette57 wrote about time constraints; and Theefaulted gave him the bare min. that can include lifting into his already tight schedule

6'1 1/2

Between 192-198, it fluctuates. Lost about 34 lbs since 2013.

I could still lose about 10-15 lbs of fat I think still have a bit of fat around my midsection and I plan on gaining around 20-30 lbs of muscle and toning up.

Once my wrist heals up(stupid work injury) I'll be going to the gym a lot more again.

You could look into tactical barbell too, I've had good success with it during times I've been busy or unmotivated. I'm using it right now because I have a lot of other shit to do and I don't even really want to be lifting lol but I think it's important to do it. I think my workout today was like 35-40 mins.

I went from not lifting for 3 years to 350lb squat, 285lb bench, 390lbx3 deadlift, 190lb strict overhead press in less than 6 months of 20-30 minute workouts 3x a week. Maybe 1.5 hours total a week including warming up. Those are shitty numbers, but I was coming from a completely detrained state and a torn acl (I literally could not do a controlled squat to below parallel with my own BW when I started, I had to do high box squats for the first month with an empty or nearly empty bar). I wasn't even doing a program, just lifting as much as I felt capable of in a given day.

Now after that, I had to devote more time and energy to keep getting stronger, but I still probably spend 4 hours or less a week lifting, and I've gotten to a 440lb squat, 325lb bench, 495x2 deadlift, 210lb strict press. Those aren't impressive numbers in the strength world, but it's an idea of what you can do in 2 years of consistent strength training, starting from a very low level.

This was me after about 9 months of squat and dead lift training (not even consistently) No belt either.
I was about 67 kg (~148lbs) walk around weight then at ~5'9"/175 cm and doing cardio/grappling/judo (I weighed in at 65 kg/143 lbs typically by skipping breakfast), and competed at 61kg/135lbs MMA before that.

Do you think the average guy trains in MMA? I'm a bit at lost trying to explain that "our" point of view here is a bit skewed because it doesn't account to a large % of the population.
Anyway, this discussion is a bit off topic so I don't want to pollute the thread further.

The average guy is not weak! He's... wait for it... average! :) It is elite when you consider the larger population, of course not by powerlifting standards.

OK so by now you may have guessed that I'm around 90kg and cannot dl 180kg. I haven't tried to max out for quite some time but 160kg would be my max I believe. So that makes me pretty weak, and I'm ok with that. Well actually not really ok since I'm striving to get better, but you see what I mean.

I believe the caveat in your statement is about "putting the few months of work in" and "healthy" and "able bodied". I would also add as j123 said a good program and a good diet.
So I'm not saying this is very difficult to achieve, but it's starting to pile up. A LOT of people, or at least much more than you guys think, will not be able to do it. If they went back to HS days with nothing to do, hormones raging and all that, then yeah maybe. A guy like me who starts lifting at 35+ yo with past injuries and all this, well that's different.

You're making excuses.

At my gym nearly every deadlifts at least 180kg after a year. I'm talking about average people who often weigh around 80kg. I've seen someone in their 40s, fat and not done any exercise manage to lose a lot of weight and deadlift 200kg within 2 years.

When you see it happening all the time it becomes normal and you set higher expectations of yourself. The problem is most people surround themselves with people who don't make progress.

While also training for sport, I had my best results with the 5/3/1 2 day split.

Thanks. How does that program look like roughly?

531 2 day template with the bare essentials (triumvirate).
Remember, he wrote that to Foxflechette57, who doesn't lift, so newb gains and progress would be in full effect, obviously to the more exp. lifters thats not enough.
Foxflechette57 wrote about time constraints; and Theefaulted gave him the bare min. that can include lifting into his already tight schedule

Slow strength gains would be more than enough.

You could look into tactical barbell too, I've had good success with it during times I've been busy or unmotivated. I'm using it right now because I have a lot of other shit to do and I don't even really want to be lifting lol but I think it's important to do it. I think my workout today was like 35-40 mins.

I will, thanks

Back